banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To change the power tubes or to change the preamp tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To change the power tubes or to change the preamp tubes?

I doubt I'll sell the amp, I got a roller 85' transam is good condition im going to try to sell. The transam should fetch enough to get a 5150.

At least keep the peavey around for my telecaster. :P

I was just wanting to know how big of a difference tubes would have, after changing pickups I was suprized as hell and wasn't sure if tubes would be a big change as well.
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Re: To change the power tubes or to change the preamp tubes?

the difference in sound for tubes isn't so much the actual color of the sound, it's more about how hot you bias 'which' tubes and how they sound cranked. Some tubes are 'harder' than others and don't break up until later, but some are designed with a lower hardness rating and breakup sooner.

A 5751 preamp tube will boost your headroom, as will switching to 'bigger bottle' tubes. Staying within the same model of tubes and cycling between brands is more of a durability and build issue rather than a big tone difference.
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
      X