banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the difference between JCM800 and aJCM900?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what's the difference between JCM800 and aJCM900?

If you were to get a jcm 900 I would look into getting one of the slx models. You can put out a bunch of different tones with them. Classic rock to even high distortion metal. These models are better as the distortion comes only from the preamp tubes. I think the other models in 900 series use diodes for distortion. I have a 2100slx model and it works great for me. Only thing about it is there is no channel switching, but just turning down the volume on your guitar can get you cleans anyways. If you find that 800's don't give you distortion you are looking for look into 900 slx models. Oh I forgot one more thing if you get a one of these make sure you get one with el-34 power tubes in it. I heard most people say that the slx models are bad with 5881 power tubes that some have in them.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      JCM 800

JCM 900
      -2100SLX
      -2500SLX

To be honest I don't think that there are gonna be any 900's that will be close to an 800...
      There's also the 4100 and 4500 in the JCM 900 line.

If you end up with a JCM 800 2203/2204, and it's stock, leave it that way. They are more desireable and will fetch a higher resale when left stock. Just push the front end with a good overdrive pedal.

As for the JCM 900's, either the 2100 or 2500 are the ones I'd look for. The SL-X models (Mk IV) with the same number are the same amp with an additional preamp tube. As an owner of the 2100 Mk III, the sucker has the Marshall tone. The 4100/4500 Dual Reverbs were good early on, up until late 93 early 94, then they started to sound stale.

An early JCM 900 is worth it (1990-1993ish) if you can't get a JCM 800. I know this is contradicting what joelap said but since he said he didn't know much about the 900's other than Navarro using it, I thought I'd chime in. That's not the only tone they put out, just making that clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis
        Listen to some early 90's hard rock, then listen to some 80's hard rock.

That's the difference.

I think of it this way.

800=80's hard rock
        900=90's alternative
        2000=21 century **** music

Billly Gibbons used several 900's for the Recycler record and he toured with them as well.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

thanks for chiming in erik and dave.just when i thought i knew which one i wanted......................................hmmmmm mm , what to do.
          john

Comment

I'd take a good 800 over a good 900 anyday..they are just more...erm...marshally....

However if you can find a good one, a 900 is a nice amp (as said by others, stick with El34s and the earlier it was made the better, tho I'm not fam w/ the SLX)

As for Gibbons...That's the last ZZ top stuff I ever heard (recycler)....and the best tones he got on that album were done with a Lead 12 as a pre-amp he got a little too gain happy with the 900's

In fact that would lead to another piece of advice...the more ya crank the pre-amp gain on a 900 the thinner it gets (as do most amps). Keep that gain backed off and they do sound good and crunch quite well.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Yeah, Erik hit the nail on the head with the description of the 900's. Honestly, you'll be happy either way you go... you really cant go wrong. My recommendation is still for the 800's
              7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                In fact that would lead to another piece of advice...the more ya crank the pre-amp gain on a 900 the thinner it gets (as do most amps). Keep that gain backed off and they do sound good and crunch quite well.
                One more thing to note is that on the 2100/2500 slx models there are two knobs for gain. There is the preamp volume and gain sensitivity knobs. To my ears the preamp volume makes thicker distortion, while the gain sensitivity makes thinner distortion. The two knobs make a bunch of different tones of gain.

Oh one more thing, what kind of amp are you looking for tonally?

Hope you find the marshall amp thats for you.
                Fender Frontman 15g
                Cry Baby
                Boss DS-2
                Boss CE-3
                Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
                  One more thing to note is that on the 2100/2500 slx models there are two knobs for gain. There is the preamp volume and gain sensitivity knobs.
                  The 2100/2500 Mk III's (pre-SL-X) are the same way.

The way the pre-amp and gain knobs work on these models is the pre-amp volume sets the intial pre-amp gain level. The gain control sets the secondary gain level. The secondary gain level also has diodes in it's circuitry, I think there's only 2 in there.

Even though there are diodes, it's still sweet sounding because the tubes are driving so hard. The warmth can't be suppressed. Only so much gain can be accomplished with tubes. At some point, to get more, something else is needed to make it happen.

Think of it this way, lots of the tones we liked from players 10-20 years ago, their tones were a combination of tube amps and pedals (Tube Screamers, Super Overdrives). Guess what those pedals had? Diodes. Think of these JCM 900's as an amp with a built in Tube Screamer of some sort.

Comment

ErikH, thanks for the info. I always thought that 2100/2500 amps got there distortion for the pre-amps and didn't use diodes for distortion.
                    Fender Frontman 15g
                    Cry Baby
                    Boss DS-2
                    Boss CE-3
                    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
                      ErikH, thanks for the info. I always thought that 2100/2500 amps got there distortion for the pre-amps and didn't use diodes for distortion.
                      They do get it from the pre-amp to a certain extent. The diodes are what make them high gain though. In the SL-X (Mk IV), the combination of diodes, a couple op amps, and an additional pre-amp tube make it higher gain than the Mk III.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                        Think of it this way, lots of the tones we liked from players 10-20 years ago, their tones were a combination of tube amps and pedals (Tube Screamers, Super Overdrives). Guess what those pedals had? Diodes. Think of these JCM 900's as an amp with a built in Tube Screamer of some sort.
                        True Dat!

But the prob is...you can't turn 'em off on a 900

For me anyway, I always just cranked my 800's, Laneys, 1987X etc and used that for my crunch rhythm sound...the diodes (peds) were only used for a boost for leads...which is fantastic cos you cut through and get a volume boost...but they also nix all the bass/balls for crunch chording if ya leave em on.

That was always my big issue with the 900s...I LIKED the extra gain, they were wonderful sounding for leads, but they didn't have the balls/low end of a 800 (non diode clipper). Jubilees and the diode clipper 800's were similar but not quite as "thin" as the 900s.
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                          True Dat!

But the prob is...you can't turn 'em off on a 900

For me anyway, I always just cranked my 800's, Laneys, 1987X etc and used that for my crunch rhythm sound...the diodes (peds) were only used for a boost for leads...which is fantastic cos you cut through and get a volume boost...but they also nix all the bass/balls for crunch chording if ya leave em on.

That was always my big issue with the 900s...I LIKED the extra gain, they were wonderful sounding for leads, but they didn't have the balls/low end of a 800 (non diode clipper). Jubilees and the diode clipper 800's were similar but not quite as "thin" as the 900s.
                          Sure you can turn 'em off....put the gain at zero. You now have the same gain as the 800, no diodes. It's probably slightly less than a 800 but still, nice and crunchy.

I don't know what you mean about no balls/low end with the 900's. Now, maybe the 4100/4500 Dual Reverbs were that way and maybe the SL-X was that way but MkIII wasn't. It has tons of balls and low end. I can chug right along and rattle my drummers set from across the room. It has plenty of low end, and it's bone stock. The cabinet has something to do with it since it's closed back but I've never had a problem with the bass.

Just an FYI...the 2100/2500 MkIII models were a further development of the JCM800 2203/2004 Master Volumes and the 4100/4500 Dual Reverbs were a further development of the JCM800 2205/2210 amps.

Comment

Working...
                          X