banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small tube amp in the $300 - $400 range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Small tube amp in the $300 - $400 range?

When I tried out the Delta Blues, I didn't really check out the "crunch"....I dialed in a nice clean & then dirtied it up a bit. Very nice bluesy tone with a Strat...I would imagine a Tele would sound super thru it too.

When you get your PT, take it with you & plug into everything you can find. Doing it at the shop where you got the guitar would be nice....seems like the guy hooked you up a bit, so throwing him the business would be cool!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

i'd LOVE to buy an amp from Jeff (the store owner) but he only has Fender, Crate, Rivera & Genz-Benz...if had Peavey i would definitely buy one from him!

and you're right...i need to take my pt and follow the advice i give people and play it through any amp i'm considering...

so my leads so far are

Classic 30
      Delta Blues 210
      Traynor YCV40
      Rivera thirty-twelve
      Ampeg jet
      Laney LC15r
      Tweed Deluxe

anything else i have to try in that range?
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

You don't have any speaker cab right?

PT into a POD into one of those new Crate Powerblocks would be an inexpensive set up.

Do you still have a multi-effects box or any pedals???

That Powerblock is like $200.00....you can get a nice Avatar for a little more than $200...used POD or something like that ?????

Just ideas my Brutha!

Comment

nah...i have zilch...no cab, no pedals, nada.

i eventually want a nice cab and a couple choice heads...so i'd like to find decent sounding combo right now that maybe could power a 2x12 cab someday too?!

right now i'm really crossing my fingers that i can get my Schecter tomorrow out of layaway!

i think i'm also gonna put in the nickel covered 59n and CustomCustombr in it and depending on what's underneath the nickel covers i may leave them covered?
          Last edited by Hoss; 09-07-2005, 09:39 AM.

Comment

WELL...........the upside to starting over is you know what you want this time!

With that said, I think you could probably find a nice Blues Jr. or something small to get you by & then just save up for what you really want.

That way, you're not out a ton of dough & the resale on the Blues Jr's stay pretty constant, if you wanted to sell it later on.

First things first......get that PT !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
              WELL...........the upside to starting over is you know what you want this time!

With that said, I think you could probably find a nice Blues Jr. or something small to get you by & then just save up for what you really want.

That way, you're not out a ton of dough & the resale on the Blues Jr's stay pretty constant, if you wanted to sell it later on.

First things first......get that PT !!!!
              very true...i'm gonna play a blues jr the day i get it out...i know they have a couple of those there...and see what it's all about?!

Comment

Hey Mike, I know he hasn't been around much lately, but if you can track down Jeff H. I know he was selling a Jr.

Not sure if he ever got rid of it.

Comment

i checked the old thread...he sold it...however Theodie has a Traynor YCV40 for sale...there's a couple of places in louisville that carry them...i may check em out today?

Hughes & Kettner has a 20 watt that seems interesting too?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss
                    i checked the old thread...he sold it...however Theodie has a Traynor YCV40 for sale...there's a couple of places in louisville that carry them...i may check em out today?

Hughes & Kettner has a 20 watt that seems interesting too?

Theodies Traynor is a damn fine and little amp and his is in great shape...not to mention Dave is a great guy to deal with!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Too bad on the BJ, but I bought some Surfers off of Theodie....d@mn fine fella to deal with...And I'll take Christians word on the Traynor!!!

Comment

The BJ?

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
                        Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
                        Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
                        Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
                        Framus FR212 CB cabinet
                        Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
                        Line6 Toneport UX2
                        Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

i just talked to Theodie and he's got me pretty convinced on it...turns out i'm gonna be on the same road as the guitar store that carries them this afternoon...so i'm gonna check em' out first hand today too!

Comment

Originally posted by Sune
                            The BJ?
                            ..........:LAUGH2:

Cool Hoss.....keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss
                              i'd LOVE to buy an amp from Jeff (the store owner) but he only has Fender, Crate, Rivera & Genz-Benz...if had Peavey i would definitely buy one from him!

and you're right...i need to take my pt and follow the advice i give people and play it through any amp i'm considering...

so my leads so far are

Classic 30
                              Delta Blues 210
                              Traynor YCV40
                              Rivera thirty-twelve
                              Ampeg jet
                              Laney LC15r
                              Tweed Deluxe

anything else i have to try in that range?
                              About a month ago I was fooling around with the new Crate V series amps. The V58 is their 5 watt Class A combo. I loved it! Brand new it was $280. It had an 8" Celestion which was cool.

I also plugged into the next size up, can't remember the model number but it was basically the same thing except it was 15 watts, reverb, and a 10" Celestion.

I was thoroughly impressed with both of these amps. The 15 watter obviously had more headroom so you could get a decent clean but the high gain sound is where both of these amps shined.
                              1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
                              1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
                              2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
                              Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
                              Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

really...?

i should probably at least check these new Crates out then?

Comment

Working...
                                X