CryBaby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CryBaby

Is the Dunlop Crybaby a good first wah pedal? or would you recommend a Vox over the crybaby?

Thanks Hombres.
    Last edited by Guitar Toad; 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM.
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

Re: CryBaby

Todd,

My first Wah was a GCB 95 and to be honest I was thrilled the day I got it then noticed that it didn't sound like Hendrix or Clapton or Beck, or Page, or any of the classic Wah tones I heard in my head...the new Dunlop wah's have a better inducter that mine but I have not tried them...I use a Vox 847 now and I like it a lot better, Im abour to sent it to John and Im sure I like it even more that I do now!

If you can get a Dunlop cheep jump on it...you might like it, if you shop around you can grab a good used Vox for around 100 bones or less...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      Todd,

My first Wah was a GCB 95 and to be honest I was thrilled the day I got it then noticed that it didn't sound like Hendrix or Clapton or Beck, or Page, or any of the classic Wah tones I heard in my head...the new Dunlop wah's have a better inducter that mine but I have not tried them...I use a Vox 847 now and I like it a lot better, Im abour to sent it to John and Im sure I like it even more that I do now!

If you can get a Dunlop cheep jump on it...you might like it, if you shop around you can grab a good used Vox for around 100 bones or less...
      Vox 847. Noted. Thanks Christian. That's the way I'll look.
      Last edited by Guitar Toad; 09-06-2005, 05:00 PM.
      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

i had no idea where to start, so i bought a dunlop 535Q .. it has alot of versatility that i havent even explored yet and i think it works and sounds very good for my 'beer budget' ears .. i'd love to spend an afternoon with a guy who really hears the differences among wahs and have them pointed out to me

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thanks T4D.

If I see the 535Q Dunlop I'll give it a try.
          -Conrad Hilton

Comment

i like my V847.....i'm sure theres probably something out there that sounds "better"....but with as little as i use a wah, it sounds good enough for me
            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
            >cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I'd recommend trying both of them out, if you can. Both units sound pretty good, but they're still different.

That said, I'm happy w/ my original CryBaby I bought years ago. I like the progressiveness of the effect; the major shorfall is that it's not as versatile as the 535Q. I haven't played w/ other wah's in a while, so I won't try to compare 'em to what I've played recently.

Comment

Dunlop claims to be the real thing for Hendrix stuff. Vox claims to be the real thing.

Will the real original wah effect please stand up.
                -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                  Dunlop claims to be the real thing for Hendrix stuff. Vox claims to be the real thing.

Will the real original wah effect please stand up.
                  Vox and the Crybaby are both Dunlop wahs! They don't sound at all like an original 67 Clyde McCoy wah..

Until you've heard a really great wah,one that has great sweep and is very vocal,you are truly missing out on a great wah...If you want the ultimate wah tones,you won't get it from any of the mass produced Dunlop wahs...You need to listen to the Fulltone Clydes,Teese's Picture Wah and RMC or Wizard wahs or my own modded Crybaby or Vox 847/848 modded wah that has my own ideas modded into it...A great wah needs the right pot and inductor and also the right combination of components and enhancements to get that old vintage wah tone...

My favorite Dunlop wah in it's stock form is the Vox 847 and then the 848 because the 848 also has true bypass and a power supply and the red fasel inductor....My opinion only,but if you were to ask the guys the difference between the stock 847 and one I've modded,I know you'd hear alot more about the modded one running circles around the stock one! It's a tremendous difference! But you don't have to take my word on it?
                  Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM.
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I may have to settle for a mass produced 847 or Crybaby and then if I want I can take a gamble on Spina wah mod, I can. But, a mass produced wah is better than no wah, right? Plus, a couple of experience bro's have voice satisfaction with the beer budget wahs. I think that I can also similiarly be happy.
                    -Conrad Hilton

Comment

You need to listen to the Fulltone Clydes,Teese's Picture Wah and RMC or Wizard wahs
                      I would go for one of those or maybe a ZACK WYLDE Sig wah from what i have heard it is pretty good for a dunlop wah (it uses the fasel inductor)
                      Gondola Kid
                      Bandcamp
                      Facebook
                      JimijaymesGuitarist
                      Youtube

Comment

Save up some cash and get the Cry Baby from hell!!!
                        Lister: I am your god!
                        Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                        i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

I have used a CryBaby for the past five years or so. I modded it myself for true bypass - it's simple to do. My CryBaby isn't bad, but it is a little harsh sounding and isn't what I would call vocal. Doesn't really do classic Hendrix.

I recently bought a Vox V848 (the Clyde McCoy RI model) when I saw a mint one on Ebay for a good price. It is a huge improvement on the CryBaby. It has a broader sweep and a sweeter tone and does have that vocal quality. Much much better. It comes with true bypass and a DC in as standard.

If you want a good stock wah, I recommend the Vox V848.

Having said that, I'm sure every great word I've read on this forum about Spina mods is true. I'll probably have to get me one of those someday.

Comment

I've spent hundreds of dollars on wah looking for that sound I had Teese, Fulltone, Budda all good but not what I really like. I've used the Vox V847 for a long time and its a descent wah.
                            I just picked up the Crybaby Classic wah with the Fasal Inductor and it has hardwire bypass and man for $89 you cant go wrong this wah sounds just as good as the high end wah's I had!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                              I may have to settle for a mass produced 847 or Crybaby and then if I want I can take a gamble on Spina wah mod, I can. But, a mass produced wah is better than no wah, right? Plus, a couple of experience bro's have voice satisfaction with the beer budget wahs. I think that I can also similiarly be happy.
                              Read some reviews...I wouldn't say you'd be taking a gamble brother?
                              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X