Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CryBaby

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa
    I've spent hundreds of dollars on wah looking for that sound I had Teese, Fulltone, Budda all good but not what I really like. I've used the Vox V847 for a long time and its a descent wah.
    I just picked up the Crybaby Classic wah with the Fasal Inductor and it has hardwire bypass and man for $89 you cant go wrong this wah sounds just as good as the high end wah's I had!
    I had payed $255 with shipping for the Teese Picture Wah that I thought was going to be the end all of wahs for me...I A/Bd his wah to the 847 I had modded and returned the PW...True story! The rest is history and now I own 2 847s and an 848 that I also modded...Sold my Crybaby to Jeremy and we'll see what his thoughts are on his modded wah upon receiving it?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      I had payed $255 with shipping for the Teese Picture Wah that I thought was going to be the end all of wahs for me...I A/Bd his wah to the 847 I had modded and returned the PW...True story! The rest is history and now I own 2 847s and an 848 that I also modded...Sold my Crybaby to Jeremy and we'll see what his thoughts are on his modded wah upon receiving it?
      I like the V847 a lot Mine was modded as well but its old I think it blows away the V848. The Crybaby Classic has a much better sweep that I like better than the Vox wah I also think it has a more pronounce wah tone than the Vox, Both are very good choices that are very affordable!

Comment

I have 3 Wahs.

A vintage Crybaby from the 60's..... A Vox Clyde McCoy, and a Vox 847.

I used the Vintage Wah for a long while, but it never really sounded very good. I sent it to John, he worked his magic and now it is my main Wah.

The 847 was the Wah that I used a lot. The Pot went bad on it and I replaced it, but it never really sounded right anyway.... another project for John in the future.

The Clyde McCoy is an excellent Wah stock. Not as good as my modded Crybaby, but a very good sounding Wah just the same. I bought mine used for $70.00. If you can find a used Wah jump on it.... check Ebay and the likes. Keep it stock for a while to get familiar with it but definatley send it to John YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER WAH FOR THE MONEY!!!!

The Fullertone Wahs like the Clyde and the Clyde Deluxe are great Wahs... But I think Johns mods are just as good if not better!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
          I have 3 Wahs.

A vintage Crybaby from the 60's..... A Vox Clyde McCoy, and a Vox 847.

I used the Vintage Wah for a long while, but it never really sounded very good. I sent it to John, he worked his magic and now it is my main Wah.

The 847 was the Wah that I used a lot. The Pot went bad on it and I replaced it, but it never really sounded right anyway.... another project for John in the future.

The Clyde McCoy is an excellent Wah stock. Not as good as my modded Crybaby, but a very good sounding Wah just the same. I bought mine used for $70.00. If you can find a used Wah jump on it.... check Ebay and the likes. Keep it stock for a while to get familiar with it but definatley send it to John YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER WAH FOR THE MONEY!!!!

The Fullertone Wahs like the Clyde and the Clyde Deluxe are great Wahs... But I think Johns mods are just as good if not better!
          Thanks Dave....As always,your reviews hold alot of water with me brother...One of these days I need to get back to Long Island so we can have that beer or two together that we talked about...One of these days it's going to happen(I promise)...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            Read some reviews...I wouldn't say you'd be taking a gamble brother?
            i read the praises to John Spina every freakin day on this forum. I know that sending a freaking wah to you is not a gamble it's a freaking sure thing.

I was making a play on your words posted earlier of not takking your word for it. If I can't take your word for it then it's a gamble.

Freakin' lighten up Francis! You don't have to say a thing. Your customers speak for you. You get tons of un-paid advertisements around here. I know you are the go to guy. When I need a pedal modded, I know that Stratdeluxer97 is the guy to send it to...

note: use of the term freakin' in this post is intended to add a humorous flavor to the post.
            Last edited by Guitar Toad; 09-07-2005, 12:39 PM.
            Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Yeah, I think the crybaby is great for your first wah pedal. Probably any of the top brand wah pedals are good for beginners. I would probably just try as many wah pedals you interested in, thats how I found my first wah pedal, the crybaby original.
              Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
              Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
              Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
              Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
              Fender Frontman 15g
              Cry Baby
              Boss DS-2
              Boss CE-3
              Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Crybabys, Vox are good, but you have to get true bypass or they will suck the life out of your signal. A Spina mod is in the future for me.
                Originally posted by tone4days
                we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill
                  Crybabys, Vox are good, but you have to get true bypass or they will suck the life out of your signal. A Spina mod is in the future for me.
                  The wah mod prices are not for the faint of heart though...Like $75 in parts before any mods....

Comment

*cough* Pro Analog Supaquack *cough*
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I had an old Thomas Crybaby for years and I never used it. Needless to say, I thought it sucked. I now have a reissue Vox and I love it. The Crybaby had a screechy high end that sent everybody running whenever I kicked it on. YMMV
                      Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed
                        I had an old Thomas Crybaby for years and I never used it. Needless to say, I thought it sucked. I now have a reissue Vox and I love it. The Crybaby had a screechy high end that sent everybody running whenever I kicked it on. YMMV
                        You just needed to adjust the pot gear and you may have been golden..

Comment

Working...
                        X