Amp Prices from the 60's in Todays Dollars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Prices from the 60's in Todays Dollars

compare gear prices from the 60's in today's dollars...

It's an eye-opener.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Amp Prices from the 60's in Todays Dollars

now find one that compares percentage of income to house payment
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Prices should have some down due to modernization of the building process.

Curly, I'm not sure you'd want to see that one. House payment and debt vs. income have been skyrocketing lately, it's pretty amazing (and I'm sure you knew that. )
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The only thing I could offer is that my stable from 71 to 63 ( 10 of em) on average cost 200.00 in todays values. The highest being 275.00 and the lowest being 107.00 All in good shape, some mint and some scuffy but all in working condition. Knowing what to chase and what to do with em has been among the greatest music lessons I have ever had. My greatest hobby ever!!
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I'm not convinced that those calculated price then versus now are a good indicator. Various goods do not linearly follow the annual inflationary increases. Have salaries followed the same schedule? How prices? Cars? Entertainment dollars saw very little increases year to year until the mid to late 80's then entertainment dollars began skyrocketting. Beef prices still low to the cattle farmer, but in the grocey store prices have sure shot up in the last couple years.
          Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
          -Conrad Hilton

Comment

It's not the calculated price of an object, it's one dollar then is equal to x dollars now.

It's not saying a Strat listed for $154 in 1956 and now lists for $1288.

It's about the value of the dollar and applying it to gear.
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
              It's not the calculated price of an object, it's one dollar then is equal to x dollars now.

It's not saying a Strat listed for $154 in 1956 and now lists for $1288.

It's about the value of the dollar and applying it to gear.
              Yes, that's right. How do you appropriately place a value on gear? I suppose I do it according to how much I am willing to spend for that gear.

Would I have been willing to pay $154 for a strat in '56, I don't know, I really have no grasp on what value $154 had in 1956, but today I'm not willing to pay $1288 for a strat.

That's one thing makers are doing now. Not all consumers have the same price point. In '56 it was one strat for one price. today it's 100 different strats and Tele's and 25 price points.

For some it's $150 other $300, another $600 and still others won't pay less than $2000 because they want to feel like they are getting the best product.
              Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                Yes, that's right. How do you appropriately place a value on gear? I suppose I do it according to how much I am willing to spend for that gear.

Would I have been willing to pay $154 for a strat in '56, I don't know, I really have no grasp on what value $154 had in 1956, but today I'm not willing to pay $1288 for a strat.

That's one thing makers are doing now. Not all consumers have the same price point. In '56 it was one strat for one price. today it's 100 different strats and Tele's and 25 price points.

For some it's $150 other $300, another $600 and still others won't pay less than $2000 because they want to feel like they are getting the best product.
                Using the actual chart and not making numbers up off the top of my head...

If you weren't willing to pay $249.50 for a Strat in 1954, you simply wouldn't have gotten one. What this is exemplifying is for someone to say "I would never pay $1600 for a Strat," that the $249 in 1954 is equal to $1600 today (or in 2000 as the case may be), and that $1600 asking price is historically not that outrageous.

If it's not important to you- it's not important to you. But complaining about prices on quality American made gear is pointless- it's always been this expensive, it's just inflation makes it look more expensive. If it's not important to you, get a foreign made copy- the workmanship is pretty good, but your materials suffer.
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                  Using the actual chart and not making numbers up off the top of my head...

If you weren't willing to pay $249.50 for a Strat in 1954, you simply wouldn't have gotten one. What this is exemplifying is for someone to say "I would never pay $1600 for a Strat," that the $249 in 1954 is equal to $1600 today (or in 2000 as the case may be), and that $1600 asking price is historically not that outrageous.

If it's not important to you- it's not important to you. But complaining about prices on quality American made gear is pointless- it's always been this expensive, it's just inflation makes it look more expensive. If it's not important to you, get a foreign made copy- the workmanship is pretty good, but your materials suffer.
                  Okay, I'll stop. Thanks for slapping me around a bit.

I still think the price of guitars is set by more than simple inflationary considerations, but I am no ecomonist. Supply goes up prices go down. Supply goes down prices go up. Then, there are micro and macro considerations. Diminishing marginal utilities, then labor costs then administrative overhead, marketing and advertsing, geesh. Too much to think about. But, I still have fun arguing about it. I think everything is more expensive than needs to be. I say down with inflation. Boo. Stop inflation now!

But, my other point was that Fender (and others) while still sell their their once $154 strat today for $1600, they have found a way to make their instruments affordable to more people. TRue, the quality may not be the same as the $1.6K strat MIA, but the $300 MIM strat is very useable and quite acceptable to many players. Case in point or 2: The Jimmie Vaughan and Robert Cray strats. List for Less than $1k and both can be had for around $500. Not MIA but that's ok. If they were made in america, and made in the midwest they would be sold for the same price as the MIM and Fender would still make a nice profit on their products.

Fender has befriended both "the price is no concern musician" as well as "the price is a huge concern musician". Hats off to Fender. No hats off to Gibson.
                  Last edited by Guitar Toad; 09-08-2005, 10:52 AM.
                  -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                    Okay, I'll stop. Thanks for slapping me around a bit.

I still think the price of guitars is set by more than simple inflationary considerations, but I am no ecomonist.

But, my other point was that Fender (and others) while they still do sell their $1600 guitars today, they have found a way to make their instruments affordable to more people. TRue, the quality may not be the same as the $1.6K strat MIA, but the $300 MIM strat is very useable and quite acceptable to many players. Case in point or 2: The Jimmie Vaughan and Robert Cray strats. List for Less than $1k and both can be had for around $500. Not MIA but that's ok. If they were made in america, and made in the midwest they would be sold for the same price as the MIM and Fender would still make a nice profit on their products.

Fender has befriended both "the price is no concern musician" as well as "the price is a huge concern musician". Hats off to Fender. No hats off to Gibson.
                    There's no slapping around going on!

One thing that's missing in the chart is the current list prices of those instruments and amplifiers. All that chart illustrates is the difference in inflation. In the example of the the 1954 Strat, the 1954 dollar was worth roughly around 6.5x more than it is today. Any $10 dollar item in 1954 would cost $65, any $100 item would cost $650.

If the chart were to say:

1954 Strat price in 1954- $250
                    Comparative price in 2000- $1600
                    Current list price American Strat- $1400

Of course it would be easier in rows and columns.

The prices drop drastically for foreign made instruments. Not only are the labor costs much lower, but cheaper materials are used. To compare the 1950s and 60s prices of American guitars to today's foreign made guitars isn't a fair comparison because of the disparity in labor and material charges.

As far as the "no hats off to Gibson..." If I recall correctly the 1959 Les Paul cost around $250 in 1959, which came out to around $1500 a few years ago when the walking price of a Standard was around $1700 and a Classic was around $1400. Besides that, Gibson offers Epiphone models of their guitars- just as cheap as MIM or MIK or MIC instruments...
                    I'm a good sex man.

Comment

I would love to be able to buy a 1954 maple Strat (of course in '54 RW was not an option on Strats yet) for 1600.00 WOW
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Cool. I bookmarked that link. I've always wanted to find a list like that.
                        I never realized how costly Showmans were back then. You'd think they'd be major collectibles now, but aren't really.

Now I'm getting scared about what the prices will be like in 30 years! List $16,280
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Here's a nice inflation calculator.

The following form adjusts any given amount of money for inflation, according to the Consumer Price Index, from 1800 to 2022. Enjoy!

That Luke Skywalker action figure I bought for $1.99 in 1976 comes out to a value of $6.83 now. I wonder how much Star Wars action figures go for now...
                          I'm a good sex man.

Comment

buy what you like now! Or better yet-start hoarding and restoring vintage gear. If it's rare and expensive now, it'll be worth a fortune in a decade or two.
                            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I can just see it now - Prices rise on ebay...
                              Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                              When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                              Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                              Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                              Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X