Tube Warmup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Warmup

How long do you let your tubes warm up before flipping the standby switch?

Also, do you notice an improvement in your amp's tone after you've been playing for a half hour? And hour? Three hours?

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Re: Tube Warmup

About a minute or so.

After the amp warms up (after, say, 2 hours) the amps seem to get more "spongey," less distinct. I prefer the sound of a "cold" amp.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

My class A amp has no standby- so whenever the tubes warm up, the amp starts working. My Marshall's do have a standby, I usually let them warm up for a minute or so
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

about a minute

Comment

I let 'em warm up for a couple minutes usually...

personally I think the longer my Rivera stays on the better it sounds...whether I'm using the POD XTL in front of it or just the amp.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have no standby either, I turn on, flip to silent uning, then once that's done I figure it should have been long enough anyway.

As for sounding better after longer, yeah, I agree, but then it also sounds better louder too
            "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

a minute or two. i prefer the sound of a non-master volume amp after its been on for a few hours and everything is nice and hot.

Comment

Probably about a minute. On amps with no standby switch, I usually wait for the buzzing sound to go down before I start playing. It is the signal that tells me the amp has reached a steady state.
                Last edited by Amateur; 09-10-2005, 12:07 PM.

Comment

It is also rectifier dependent. 5AR4's are slow to glow. Not hitting high voltages as quickly as some other rectifiers.

I am tied by tradition to use the standby switch though. Seems like a good idea to me. 30 seconds to a minute and I'm ready to glow.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                    I let 'em warm up for a couple minutes usually...

personally I think the longer my Rivera stays on the better it sounds...whether I'm using the POD XTL in front of it or just the amp.
                    +1. Rivera amps don't really start to strut their stuff until they've been on for about 45 minutes; you know when they're totally warmed up, because they get even louder!!!!
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Louder huh? Hmm....

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

earlier versions of the Reverend amps like the hellbound doesn't have a standby switch. So, I'd just on it and play !! =)
                        Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                        Gibson 1959 reissue
                        Gibson 1960 reissue
                        Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

I carry my amp and speakers into a venue first and set them up, and after about 10 minutes to 30 minutes flip it on (depending on weather outside and inside, condensation is the key word... either way after the rest of my gear is present).

Usually that gives between 30 minutes and 2 hours of warmup... and yes, the longer it´s on the better it sounds and FEELS, at least to my ears and hands... but that may be some psyche thing as well
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

i think it probably has to do with the tubes and all the componants getting hot. the harder and hotter the amp is run the better the feel

Comment

I've also noticed a difference when you let the "standby" warm-up for a minute b-4 playing (this is on a class-A single-ended amp I'm working on). I wonder if the current needs some time to filtrate the rest of the circuit? The difference was slight, but it was audible, FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                              X