banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trapeze tailpieces, unsecured bridges and restringing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapeze tailpieces, unsecured bridges and restringing...

So I went over to a buddy's house this past weekend and he asked me to re-string and give a basic set-up to his new Ibanez Artcore. Though I've never really worked on a Trapeze tailpiece before, I didn't assume too much was going to be different from working on a Tune-o-matic.

I was kinda wrong.

As soon as I unstrung it, the bridge fell off and the tailpiece crashed into the body. Thankfully, it didn't scar anything, but man did I feel stupid. It took the better part of half and hour trying to reposition the bridge so that the intonation was dead-on. Thankfully I made some rought adjustments to the action before I set out on that quest, so I didn't have to do it twice. In the end, everything was definitely feeling and sounding better than before.

How do y'all handle these setups? Do you do it one-string at a time so that nothign falls off or do you make a small pencil mark on the body to help you repostion the bridge? Some other option?
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Re: Trapeze tailpieces, unsecured bridges and restringing...

Originally posted by St_Genesius
    How do y'all handle these setups? Do you do it one-string at a time so that nothign falls off or do you make a small pencil mark on the body to help you repostion the bridge? Some other option?
    I'm no expert but one string at a time is how I've done it after my first experience with my trapeze tailpiece/floating bridge and the bridge falling to the ground some 35 years ago.
    Fender American Standard Fat Strat - 2004
    Epi Elitist Les Paul Std. - 2004 (Brobucker/APH2)
    Parts-o-caster (Fender '62 Reissue CAR Strat body)
    Part-o-tele(Ash body, birds-eye maple neck)
    Aria 1592 T*caster 69 Thinline Copy - 1974

Peavey Classic 30, Fender Silverface Champ(77), Roland MicroCube

Comment

One string at a time is how I've understood is how you're supposed to keep correct tension on the neck! lol, I thought it was obvious, makes it easier to tune also.

Comment

Originally posted by D-EJ915
        One string at a time is how I've understood is how you're supposed to keep correct tension on the neck! lol, I thought it was obvious, makes it easier to tune also.

I always take all the strings off of my guitars (unless it's got a Floyd Rose). Taking the tension off the neck for a few minutes certainly isn't going to hurt it.
        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Archtop style guitars have "F" holes. The point in the middle of the "F" hole is a guide to the intonation point. This will not be exact, but it should be close string gauge, actiona and a few other things may affect this. IF you remove all the strings what I usually do before hand is wrap the tailpiesce so it won't marr the finish. I also take an exacto and put a very minor score just at the tip of the bridge so I know where the bridge needs to go (this is optional some people would not want a scratch in the finish). Once you have done what you need to do with the strings off, put the two "E" strings on first, then move the bridge to the correct position to get the intonation at pitch then put the rest of the strings on. At this point you may have to adjust action and truss rod, but for the most part the trick is to put the two outside strings on first. Use those strings to set the intonation the rest will fall into place like any other set up.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Just change the strings one at a time, and when all have been changed check the intonation of the Es, and slide the bridge a hair if needed. BTW don´t lift it on the side you´re sliding, because this runs the risk of the added pressure marring the finish on the other side.
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
            X