No announcement yet.

speed tips, sweep/tremolo picking etc!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed tips, sweep/tremolo picking etc!

ok so i want 2 be ingvay malmstene or sumsuch genious!
    2 do this i need ur help in curbing my lazy plectrum!
    cud u give me some tips on improving tremolo and alternate picking things, such as how you achive those sounds of john pretuci that sound like 1 note ( like its played with a violin bow thingy!) with tremolo picking
    and how do you use sweep picking in solos (improvised and the other kind!)?

i think that this would be an interesting one to read for others interested in improving there speed and tecknique.
    so go on then, impart your knowlage!
    cheers a bunch

Re: speed tips, sweep/tremolo picking etc!

Download the trial version of Guitar Pro.

Then go here:

Explore the official Guitar Pro Tab and Music Score Catalog. Rock, Metal, Pop, Folk... find all legendary tabs from your favorite artists transcribed by professional musicians.

That should keep you busy.
    "You better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. 'Cause if I'm a child, then you know what that makes you? A pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna stand here and be lectured by a pervert."
    -Peter Griffin

Comment

Originally posted by shred me good
      cud u give me some tips on improving tremolo and alternate picking things, such as how you achive those sounds of john pretuci that sound like 1 note ( like its played with a violin bow thingy!) with tremolo picking

i think that this would be an interesting one to read for others interested in improving there speed and tecknique.
      cheers a bunch
      Yeah, I have a similar question along the same track. I was listening to Train of Thought (Dream Theater) and I heard in some of the solos, (all I think) that bowed sort of legato sound you are talking about. I also would like to learn how to get that sound because it is SO awesome sounding.

It's probably just his incredible technique and playing with 3 fingers that does it
      woooooo

Comment

Originally posted by rraawwrr
        ...that bowed sort of legato sound...
        Which solo in particular are you referring to?

Despite what people say, I freakin' love that album.
        "You better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. 'Cause if I'm a child, then you know what that makes you? A pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna stand here and be lectured by a pervert."
        -Peter Griffin

Comment

I know hundreds of exercises .... hmmm, for a beginner, try this one.

You have to do this with straight alternate picking, down-up-down-up. Start slow, and accent the 1st note of each group of 4. You're going to pick the pattern UP (from Low E to Hight E) on the 1st fret, DOWN on the 2nd, UP on the 3rd, etc etc until you run out of frets.

You're going to use one finger per fret. Your index finger is 1, your middle finger is 2, your ring finger is 3 and your pinky is 4. For ASCENDING (1st fret going travelling away from the nut), play this pattern:
          1-2-3-4. Go as far up the neck as you can. Then play it going backwards, with the fingering pattern being 4-3-2-1.

Other basic patterns you can use are:
          1-3-2-4 (Ascending); 4-2-3-1 (Descending)
          1-4-3-2 (Ascending); 4-1-2-3 (Descending)
          1-2-1-3-1-4 (Ascending); 4-1-3-1-2-1 (Descending)

Practice it w/faster and faster metronome settings.

It's easier to diagram then write out; hope you understand what I'm saying!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Bones

Despite what people say, I freakin' love that album.
            Who are these people who don't like "Train of Thought?" Man, it's pure balls-n-chunk. It's a wanker's wet dream. It's their best effort since "Awake" IMO. I will kick the butt of whomever says otherwise.

-Matt
            Originally posted by Scott_F
            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Joey_Bones - I think this happens in most if not all of JP's major solos. I know for certain he does it on Track 1 and 6 (forgive me for not knowing the names of the songs)
              woooooo

Comment

TwilightOdyssey has a good exercise. I'm working on speed/accuracy myself and have found Troy Stetina's book/cd Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar a great book of exercises.
                Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

To Quote my teacher, Dennis Sandoli, who knew more about the guitar and music in general than most people can ever hope to achieve: "You never know when you'll have to play really fast."

Being able to play fast doesn't mean that you always will, tho for most shredders, taste and melody are the first things to go out the window. As you become more proficient in guitar, you're gonna learn how to play fast: it's just a fact. To unilaterally knock down fast players as boring or whatever just because they want to play as cleanly (or fast) as possible is silly, and oh-so LEE!

Lee, you're a true non-conformist, and I find most of your arguments stimulating, even tho it's obvious we're from opposite camps when it comes to guitar playing. Keep challenging us!
                  Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-08-2004, 11:12 AM.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Lol I still practise crazy runs...allthough I rarely use them, in most music they are just plainly annoying.
                    But I like the reserve it gives.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                      If you were to take up sprinting - you'd never be a Ben Johnson.

If you take up speed guitar - it's unlikely you be another John Petrucci.

Some people are born sprinters, and some guitar players are born megga fast. It's a natural talent that all the practice in the world won't give you.

Concentrate on playing something 'tasteful and intelligent'. Speed is plain boring to most people.

Lee
                      Practice takes you lot farther than natural talent. If you're passionate about guitar you can get fast...

It seems to me that you're saying that taste and intelligence exclude speed, but I think you're wrong. Listen to Eric Johnson.

Comment

Gilmoure is one of those players who can say much with little.
                        But I also love Satch's playing....and Huff's and and and....doh

Comment

Originally posted by shred me good
                          ok so i want 2 be ingvay malmstene or sumsuch genious!

cheers a bunch
                          I have a few things to recomend to be a shredder and they are,

1,play everthing twice,once with a upstroke starting then play it again(same thing) with a down stroke for the start of the pattern.

2,this is even more important EVERYTHING YOU PLAY make sure you do not exceed the speed of where you still sound articulate and clean, if you practice sloopy you will always be sloopy. make sure every note is deliberate and clean when first learning scales,patterns,etc

3, always use a metronome even if it makes you wanna scream! it is your time keeper and if there is one thing i hate it is a player who cant keep time

4, go online for a vast amount of licks,tricks,scales,etc

5, practice till your fingers bleed i recomend at least 6 hours a day of
                          practice(all things like scales in different keys,patterns,etc),if you wanna keep up with the shredders then ya gotta do the bootcamp thang like we did!

Comment

6,not a have to but a non bendable thicker plectrum helps, my thin picks used to melt bef ore i switched to a heavier pick, i use extra heavies

Comment

hey guys, im new to the forum

the musts to shreddin are know ur modes, have nice selection of reverb, and practice

Comment

Working...
                              X