VH (Feel your love Tonight) "sound clip" playing along with CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VH (Feel your love Tonight) "sound clip" playing along with CD

Hendrix used several things for inspiration, so did Holdsworth...they just played it their own way.
    Somebody who keeps expanding is Jeff Beck....man I love his stuff, I still wonder what people will remember 200 years from now??
    Probally Mozart

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
      I just dont get why everyone makes such a big ado about eddie vanhalen?
      he just copied hendrix for the whammy stuff. the bluesy stuff he got from clapton had a cranked marshall amp, played a ghetto strat, stole the tapping technique from harvey mandel,got his pinch harmonics from billy gibbons what is so original about him?
      I think you just about summed it up - everyone copies from everyone - the greats, EVH included, roll it all up into their own style and sound and make it their own. You mention a lot of heavy hitters as well but I think your hammering one of them.

Comment

I just can't tell that it's not Eddie playing.
        °
        my stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
          You are quite welcome man.
          I think your clips are great and fun.
          Van Halen was one of my reasons to even play the guitar, plus I have always loved the sound of big old Marshalls
          Yeah man, you can't beat that good old cranked Marshall sound!

Originally posted by Mike M.
          If I may. Yes, VHoholic does have the Van Halen thing down to the tee. And as cool as that is what I find most impressive are his chops. That guy can definatley play, no question about it. And as many great players as there are on this forum I personally am most impressed with VHoholic's skill's. Wish I had half of his chops!
          Mike, thanks again bro! I read through your original post and forgot that you had asked me if i used a Floyd Rose. For the guitar on this clip there's no Floyd, just a standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with the Stop Bar Tailpiece.

Originally posted by Stevo
          Killer! I love your sound. You really make it work here. You have some strict attention to detail
          Thanks Stevo!

Originally posted by SoCalSteve
          VH's tone is the Holy Grail to some of us. I'd love to have VHoholics chops and tone! Keep it up! Don't we all play guitar first for our own enjoyment? I'll never tire of the brown sound. In fact I just bought a new copy of Fair Warning because of a reappreciation of that sound.
          Thanks SoCalSteve!

hey if you like it cool, as far as chops as concerned i think guys like vai,satch, gilbert,malmsteen,and those guys have a lot more chops than evh does.
          when evh first came out it was impressive but now after all those guys i mentioned it sounds like he is sloppy and slow
          i fashion myself after guys like malmsteen,lane,holdsworth,gilbert and that is where chops come in.
          evh's stuff is fairly easy to me to play.
          Actually those are some awesome guitarists you just mentioned. Great influences. If you can, post some clips. I would love to hear your playing!
          Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Updated Van Halen clips, originals and a few others.....check out my new VH Store also. Enjoy!

Comment

I just dont get why everyone makes such a big ado about eddie vanhalen?
            he just copied hendrix for the whammy stuff. the bluesy stuff he got from clapton had a cranked marshall amp, played a ghetto strat, stole the tapping technique from harvey mandel,got his pinch harmonics from billy gibbons what is so original about him?

I think the guy is totally overrated and long gone,everyone is so heated up about his new tour,BIG DEAL! i would much rather stay home and play anyday of the week than go to a girlie song old fart guitar playing hasbeen
            give me alan holdsworth then your talking ORIGINAL
            So Jimi is no good cause he stole from Muddy and Hooker? Clapton stole from Muddy and Hooker, is he no good either? Holdsworth stole from Coltrane, so is he now not worth his contributions? Malmsteen stole from Blackmore, Paganini and Jimi... Ed like Jimi, Beck, Clapton, redefined the vocabulary and sound of rock and roll. I can't even put Malmsteen anywhere in that group as his niche did not change music as we know it, he has some nice chops but nothing that has changed how the guitar was played, his contribution has more to do with why the 80s guitar style died such a pathetic death. It was overkill. I would rather listen to Eruption over Blackstar anyday of the week. One is rock and roll and one is pure classical phrases played with distortion. You can't call anyone who changed the face of music as we know it overrated, the influence is there for a reason. You don't have to like Ed but you can't say he didn't change the rules in 1978 just like Jimi did in 66. You wanna talk has been go see Malmsteen play for 100 people at some no name bar in the sticks. He just did it here in Minneapolis and oddly enough no one has said a single thing about it since. Because no one cared.

Remember VH toured with Holdsworth early on because he wanted Alan to be heard, sadly they were booed off the stage much to Ed's frustration. He couldn't believe that folks didn't dig it. Ed also was going to produce an Alan in the late 80s and Alan blew the chance.
            ]
            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I like hendrix, i like clapton , i like holdsworth, but you aint gonna make me like eddie van heflin so accept it i dont care what you say he has done on guitar the guy is a clown and if you want to note for note him then be my guest

Comment

I like hendrix, i like clapton , i like holdsworth, but you aint gonna make me like eddie van heflin so accept it i dont care what you say he has done on guitar the guy is a clown and if you want to note for note him then be my guest
                I never said you have to like him, but as a guitar player you have to recognize his influence. He changed the game both sonically and in terms of vocabulary. In a historical context he and Jimi changed the perception of what an electric guitar could do on a scale ( the number of people influenced) that few if any other players in the history of rock can approach. That is why the interest in both is still so strong.
                ]
                FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I never said you have to like him, but as a guitar player you have to recognize his influence. He changed the game both sonically and in terms of vocabulary. In a historical context he and Jimi changed the perception of what an electric guitar could do on a scale ( the number of people influenced) that few if any other players in the history of rock can approach. That is why the interest in both is still so strong.
                  OK then i will say uncle.

eddie van was a influence on many players,but not on me!

Comment

OK then i will say uncle.

eddie van was a influence on many players,but not on me!
                    lol
                    ]
                    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

Haha it is like saying that you play without strings

Comment

you can talk so much about Eddie's playing and whether it was original or not..... but i like to look at the actual songs....they have some really good songs, alot of them based more on rhythm than actual lead playing......and really, i cant say that ive heard anybody that came before Van Halen that wrote songs that sound like theirs (you can argue this to some degree, but i dont care..).....and in my opinion, him having wrote those songs and riffs is the most original part of his playing

and when it comes down to it....his driving powerul tone, killer riffs, and while his lead playing wasnt totally out of the box, it was pretty revolutionary (whether he was the first or not doesnt matter, he was the first to be recognized, call it luck, whatever you want)...... the fact that all that MOVED people, thats whats to look at here. you cant dwell to much on the originality and who copied who type of thing (and i all i listen to is the 60s and 70s)

you maybe wont allow us to change your point of view, but its not our fault if your not gonna open up and be willing to change your stance
                        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                        >cord<
                        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Re: VH (Feel your love Tonight) &quot;sound clip&quot; playing along with CD

Well then don't....it is not hard.
                          You guys get all busy in trashing Edwards rather big legacy.....there is alot of shredders I seriously cannot stomach....but I keep it to myself because people have different taste.
                          Fact is that he inspired a new breed of players, they got all speedcrazy and technique mad.
                          Lost the music part if you ask me...since I cannot remember one note any of those shredders played...
                          Well I like virtouse players....but that is only one aspect of my musical taste, I do not care about sweeps, alternate skippings, fretfarts, fourhand virtual tapping, 10 octave runs and monsterchords and so on....music, harmony, melody is what I remember, how they play it is of little intrest to me.
                          What VHoholic does is a hobby...and he is quite good at it.
                          Sofar you have been less than polite in your outbursts....I'm not here to tell how you ought to behave, I can take most people for what they are, but maybe it would be a good idea to think alittle more before just spurting out less than polite posts??
                          Sorry if you take this the wrong way, I just like this place to be nice and respectful.
                          (uh where did RG's post go??)
                          Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 05-10-2004, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                            Well then don't....it is not hard.
                            You guys get all busy in trashing Edwards rather big legacy.....there is alot of shredders I seriously cannot stomach....but I keep it to myself because people have different taste.
                            Fact is that he inspired a new breed of players, they got all speedcrazy and technique mad.
                            Lost the music part if you ask me...since I cannot remember one note any of those shredders played...
                            Well I like virtouse players....but that is only one aspect of my musical taste, I do not care about sweeps, alternate skippings, fretfarts, fourhand virtual tapping, 10 octave runs and monsterchords and so on....music, harmony, melody is what I remember, how they play it is of little intrest to me.
                            What VHoholic does is a hobby...and he is quite good at it.
                            Sofar you have been less than polite in your outbursts....I'm not here to tell how you ought to behave, I can take most people for what they are, but maybe it would be a good idea to think alittle more before just spurting out less than polite posts??
                            Sorry if you take this the wrong way, I just like this place to be nice and respectful.
                            (uh where did RG's post go??)

Comment

great playing and tone as always VH...missed yer clips!
                              Splawn QR
                              Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                              Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
                              George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
                              My Gear Pix
                              My SPLAWN Clips
                              My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

VH

I really like your tone and playing !

Keep on supplying samples bro !

Pickups used :
                                Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
                                PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
                                PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
                                PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
                                PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
                                PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
                                PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
                                PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
                                PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
                                Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
                                Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
                                SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Working...
                                X