are electro harmonix tubes any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are electro harmonix tubes any good?

im just starting to learn about tubes and whatnot..

i think electro just buy tubes from one of the big companies ..test them to match their standards and just put their labels on them right?

which of the electro's are actually worth getting.

Re: are electro harmonix tubes any good?

eh is sovtek

Comment

The EH12AX7s are okay. I really like their 6CA7s. They have 95% of the GT 6CA7's mojo at 1/3 the price.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas
        i think electro just buy tubes from one of the big companies ..test them to match their standards and just put their labels on them right?
        That's GrooveTubes you're thinking of.

The EH EL-34 is pretty decent.
        *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
        Originally posted by Slash2987
        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
        Originally posted by PVFan
        I'm a good sex man.
        Originally posted by Grumpy
        I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I love EH EL-34s and the only thing that compares to their 12AX7 is the GT 12AX7M (at 3x the price). Re-tubing my new Triamp with GTs would leave me eating ramen for a month. (11 12AX7s x $23 each = OUCH.)
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

In the right amp the El34 and 6ca7 big botts sound great. In the wrong amp they can be bright with a lot of upper mids. I have them in two Traynors and my Laney Pro Tube. I think the 6ca7 is the best thing going in new tubes outside of the TAD 6l6. I cannot stand the EH 6l6, very hard and very bright.
            ]
            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I can't recommend their 6V6s - too many reliability problems.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

The EH 6v6 are pretty good in lower voltage amps like a Fender Tweed Deluxe (5E3), but the screens can melt in higher voltage amps like Blackface Deluxe Reverbs.

I prefer the JJ 6v6, even though the EH looks more like a traditional 6v6.

Ken

Comment

i think it depends on the amp. i don't like the EH EL-34s on my traynor(i tried 2 sets). the best i tried so far are the SED winged "c" EL-34s next is the Groove Tubes Chinese big bottle EL-34/6CA7(i don't know but this one is not on their website anymore).
                  2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Originally posted by GroundhogKen
                    The EH 6v6 are pretty good in lower voltage amps like a Fender Tweed Deluxe (5E3), but the screens can melt in higher voltage amps like Blackface Deluxe Reverbs.

I prefer the JJ 6v6, even though the EH looks more like a traditional 6v6.
                    Originally posted by Curly
                    I can't recommend their 6V6s - too many reliability problems.
                    Good to know!
                    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                    Originally posted by Slash2987
                    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                    Originally posted by PVFan
                    I'm a good sex man.
                    Originally posted by Grumpy
                    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, no single company makes the best tubes. They're kinda all over the rode in that some may make a great 6L6, but their preamp tubes suck, for example. It depends on which specific tubes you're needing. It's also a subjective thing when you get to the part about how they sound. Reliability is easy to grade, but grading good tone depends on what you're wanting to hear.
                      Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

My experience with EHs come from 6l6s and 12ax7s only. IMHO: they sound really good when test playing, itīs all there, bass, mids, treble, pinch harmonics. Compare them with other brands; they are best. But, for some reason, I donīt like them when playing with a band. Sometimes they sound harsh, or simply "not to my liking". Canīt explain why, really.
                        Today I use SEDs 6l6s in the power section, and different 12ax7s in the preamp. GE, Sovtek 12ax7 LPS, JJ ECC83, and so on. The preamp tubes are not so expensive; one can buy some different brands and test back and forth, until one find what fits for the amp/guitar/pedals and taste.

Comment

I like em,

Last edited by More-Gear-Than-Skill; 10-18-2005, 05:18 AM.
                          Yeah!

Comment

I use the 12AX7's in various amps in certain spots.

I have heard good things about the EL34's.
                            Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                            Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

EH makes very good stuff, I sell a lot of them.

I spend more time than most probably trying out different tubes in amps to get the best tone. Here's what I've found. In general, I end up using a mix of brands. The differences between the brands is subtle usually, I just start mixing and matching them until I find the "magic" combination. Sometimes that combination is not what I would have guessed it would be. Each circuit is different and it just takes some experimentation to find the best tubes for each amp, just take a mixture of tubes and put your listening ears on and you'll find the best for your amp. I've also found some amps that just sound pretty much the same no matter what I put in them, and some that sound radically different with just a few different preamp tubes, it's all just on a case by case basis.

I use a lot of JJ and EH stuff. For V1 spot tubes, here's the big winners in my opinion.
                              JJ ecc803's
                              Tung Sol 12ax7
                              GT 12ax7M

However the EH 12ax7 reacts real well in some of my marshalls, it's a good all-purpose 12ax7, might not be the best choice for fenders as it has a fairly robust gain structure. For preamp tubes in fenders, JJ is the way to go, not for heavy gain, but nice full vintage fender tone. I've read a lot of people find these to be "dark", I haven't had that experience with them. I've found the EH 6l6's to be good fender power tubes, their EL34's usually sound very good in marshalls.
                              Todd Richards
                              Revolution Guitar

Comment

Working...
                              X