No announcement yet.

are electro harmonix tubes any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: are electro harmonix tubes any good?

I love their 6L6 in my BF Bassman, their EL34 is great in my Seymour Duncan Convertible 60, and their 6CA7's sound good in my buddy's Musicman HD 65 115.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by RevolutionMan
      EH makes very good stuff, I sell a lot of them.

I use a lot of JJ and EH stuff. For V1 spot tubes, here's the big winners in my opinion.
      JJ ecc803's
      Tung Sol 12ax7
      GT 12ax7M
      Are Ecc83 same as the 12AX7 ?
      Thought of getting mine changed. Cuz the clean is distorting at 4 onwards
      Looking at the JJ Ecc83s, else if the 12AX7 are compatible, the EHX ones are not too bad either. Advise ?
      Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
      Gibson 1959 reissue
      Gibson 1960 reissue
      Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Hi, Yes JJ still uses the old code for their 12ax7, they call them ecc83's, same spec. Some companies still call them 7025's also, they're all interchangeable, ecc83, 12ax7, and 7025.
        Todd Richards
        Revolution Guitar

Comment

Also, to my ears, the EH 12ax7 has slightly more gain than the JJ ecc83, but they're very similar overall.
          Todd Richards
          Revolution Guitar

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
            Good to know!
            very good to know! I'm getting a fresh set of JJ's right now before my DRRI explodes!
            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
              I can't recommend their 6V6s - too many reliability problems.
              some have stated EH ECC83's produce a better gain structure than JJ's in something like a Vox AC10...any thoughts?

Comment

Wow, holy necrobump!

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                some have stated EH ECC83's produce a better gain structure than JJ's in something like a Vox AC10...any thoughts?
                Different. Not better. Much brighter. Less lower mids and a deeper (and slightly looser) low-end.

Comment

I retubed my Marshall TSL with a Mullard in V1 and matched set of ehx 12ax7 and it is super quiet and sounds perfect to me. Creamy and thick and full of life.
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I've had the same set of EHX 6CA7 power tubes in my Tweaker for at least 5 years, and I'm pretty sure the cathode bias is kinda off on this amp because it cooks them compared to the stock 6V6 tubes, which just get warm in comparison.

They've been properly abused, taken to gigs, carelessly turned off directly without using the standby period from time to time, and if they've aged or degraded in any way, I can't tell.
                    Last edited by Diego; 12-17-2019, 05:03 PM.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      I've had the same set of EHX 6CA7 power tubes in my Tweaker for at least 5 years, and I'm pretty sure the cathode bias is kinda off on this amp because it cooks them compared to the stock 6V6 tubes, which just get warm in comparison.

They've been properly abused, taken to gigs, carelessly turned off directly without using the standby period, and if they've aged or degraded in any way, I can't tell.
                      Grid resistors spec's for 6V6 vs 6CA7 would be different i would think.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        I love EH EL-34s and the only thing that compares to their 12AX7 is the GT 12AX7M (at 3x the price). Re-tubing my new Triamp with GTs would leave me eating ramen for a month. (11 12AX7s x $23 each = OUCH.)
                        The GT 12 AX 7M is utter JUNK stay far far away from them!! Yes they sound great at first but I have had a 100% fail rate with them!!! When those first came out I bought a pair to compare to the real Blackburn Mullard 12AX7's I had and found them to sound very similar so bought a bunch of them. Not ONE lasted any time they ALL failed quickly!! Stay FAR away from those!!
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                          Have a few as have a bunch of both on hand and roll them in and out of slots in amps with some others ( Mullard RI and Tungsol in particular) to get different tones.
                          I find the JJ's to be dark with a softer feel and very hot in gain can be great to warm up and soften the feel of a harsh bright amp in particular. The EH is crunchier brighter and had more mids they are also IME a LOT quieter than most. The EH 12 AX7 is unusual as it has a spiral filament as a heater so they don't glow it also seems to drop the noise floor a little in very high gain amps. Have had really good luck with EH Tubes over the years many are unique to the EH line and not just rebranded tubes from other companies.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 12-17-2019, 11:44 AM.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            The GT 12 AX 7M is utter JUNK stay far far away from them!! Yes they sound great at first but I have had a 100% fail rate with them!!! When those first came out I bought a pair to compare to the real Blackburn Mullard 12AX7's I had and found them to sound very similar so bought a bunch of them. Not ONE lasted any time they ALL failed quickly!! Stay FAR away from those!!
                            To be fair I wrote that in 2005; I have no idea about current GT 12AX7Ms, but EHs aren't the tubes they used to be. They changed a bunch of their designs around 2008 and I can't say I care for the more recent ones. These days I use a Tung-Sol if I'm after a bright, crunchy 12AX7.

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            I love EH EL-34s and the only thing that compares to their 12AX7 is the GT 12AX7M (at 3x the price). Re-tubing my new Triamp with GTs would leave me eating ramen for a month. (11 12AX7s x $23 each = OUCH.)
                            I've had nothing but trouble with post-2008 EH EL-34s; very poor reliability in my 2555. I switched to JJ EL-34s a couple years ago and they're everything I loved about the old EHs.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                              Wow, holy necrobump!
                              I died since the original thread, 3 times already.

On the topic: EHs are rather open sounding but quite okay. I prefer JJs as they are smoother and seem to last longer.
                              Wackor
                              Ørdøg
                              NecroPolo
                              Diabolus in Musica
                              SIDrip Alliance
                              Book of Shadows
                              RKH

Comment

I liked the EH preamp tubes better than JJs. Both the JJ and EH power amp tubes (I tried 6v6s and EL84s) were good, but in different ways. BTW, this was in a Mesa.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X