#42.5 guage wire -- why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #42.5 guage wire -- why not?

There is a guage of insulated wire between #42 and #43 -- #42.5 obviously -- and I'm not really so much wondering why it hasn't been used (to my knowledge), only that I have come up with a niche use for it.

Say you want to make a medium output pickup where the number of turns you want won't fit on the bobbin, but #43 wire is so thin that you would end up with a coil to narrow to pick up all the lows you want. This is a job for Super Forty-Two-Point-Five!!!

The main application I'm thinking of is about an 8.5 to 9.0k Strat pickup to ensure it picks up plenty of lows without having to trade off classic SC chime.

Your thoughts, ladies and gents?
    Generic signature line.

Re: #42.5 guage wire -- why not?

I know that in one of the Seymour Q & A's he talks about the half-gauges, but, of course, he never comes right out and says what guages he uses in which pups. So, its possible that they are being used. Maybe.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun
      There is a guage of insulated wire between #42 and #43 -- #42.5 obviously -- and I'm not really so much wondering why it hasn't been used (to my knowledge), only that I have come up with a niche use for it.

Say you want to make a medium output pickup where the number of turns you want won't fit on the bobbin, but #43 wire is so thin that you would end up with a coil to narrow to pick up all the lows you want. This is a job for Super Forty-Two-Point-Five!!!

The main application I'm thinking of is about an 8.5 to 9.0k Strat pickup to ensure it picks up plenty of lows without having to trade off classic SC chime.

Your thoughts, ladies and gents?
      Hey Z,
      While your at it how bout an Alnico 3.5, right in the middle of 3 and 4

Comment

Mike Gray from Chubtone used 42.5 guage wire (and a special deep bobbin) on his overwound bridge pickups.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
        X