a question on adding a humbucker cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question on adding a humbucker cover

hey i know this question has probably been ansered before but o well, does anyone know how you would add one humbucker cover , i know a soldering iron is needed but how do i do it , because ive never even seen a soldering iron and i just need to know how to put a nickel cover on an open ciol humbucker in a les paul and i it would also be could to know how to remoce one , thanks

Re: a question on adding a humbucker cover

Here's how I do it: ( This is Gearjonesers method, and it works great ). Get some parafin cooking wax ( I use a brand called Gulf wax). I get it at the grocery store. ok, slide the cover onto the pickup, and using some PLASTIC " C " clamps, clamp the cover down tight. Next, ( I use a 25 watt Weller brand Iron ) Solder a pool of solder on each side of the pickup, soldering it to the cover ( I use 60/40 Rosin Core solder, available at any hardware store, and just a touch of flux, to help the solder stick ) ). OK, you're ready for the wax. You'll need to use a " double boiler", and here's how I made mine. I heated a pan about 3/4 full of water to just boiling, and put a clean, empty Campbell's soup can in the water with about 1/2 box of the wax in the can. I then turn the heat on the pan down to simmer, and use a candy thermometer to monitor the temp. of the wax. The wax will melt around 135 degrees. I stir the wax until it is just a liquid warm ( about 120 degrees ). Holding the pickup by the lead wire, dunk it into the warm ( not hot, if the wax is too hot, it can melt the pickup inside the cover ) ) wax, and watch the tiny air bubbles come up. When the air bubbles stop, pull the pickup out of the wax, and place with the pole pieces DOWN on a sturdy paper plate. Put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes, then take it out. Let the wax settle for a little while, then use your thumb nail and a soft cloth to clean the pickup up. It works GREAT !!! and is actually Kinda fun. Install in Guitar, and enjoy !!!
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
    X