"59" - for hard rock & metal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "59" - for hard rock & metal???

hey guys-how 'bout some input on using a "59" trembucker in the bridge slot of a strat-styled guitar for hard rock/80's metal,etc...

Re: "59" - for hard rock & metal???

There's this guitar player from CA who pulled a PAF from an old 335 and put it in a strat-style body. Through a cranked Marshall he changed everything and became one of the most influential players of our time and pretty much set the pace for the 80's rock scene. Smartass answer, I know, but it's the truth. The 59 can pull that stuff off with no problem at all.

Comment

thanks for the reply...that's EXACTLY what i am hoping for.got a 59b coming from seymour duncan any day now.exchanged a "jb" for it.didnt care much for the jb upper-mid spike and it was just plain muddy!!! i seem to be attracted to the low-medium output pickups out there.clarity and open tone.yeah,baby!!!

Comment

The 59 is one of my favorite pickups. I have the Little 59 in my Strat and couldn't be happier with it. It just has this huge tune but it's open sounding and boy does it like my Marshall.

The JB isn't for everyone. It takes the right wood and the right tone cap. I used to have one but recently sold it in favor of lower output models, one being the 59 that will be going in my superstrat, or frankenstrat.

Comment

you can do metal with a 59 with the right amp
          to hear what i mean plug in a 59 tb-1 loaded axe into a 5150
          1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
          2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
          1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
          1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
          Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
          5150 block letter head
          4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

A few months ago, I took out a JB and replaced it with a 59b (Les Paul).
            This guitar can easily do everything from Zeppelin to Whitesnake. With the right amp, I was even getting in to Pantera territory (Vulgar Display and Cowboys from Hell).

I love the 59b for classic rock tones, but the right amp lets this pickup be a Metal Monster. (and totally agree with Wicked Lester).

Comment

Another EVH pickup trick is the Hybrid that Bachtorock turned alot of us onto...It's the 59B screw bobbin matched to the Custom's slug bobbin...Voiced to flavor using either the A2,or the A5...I like this better than just the stock 59 which at times I feel lacks the balls I need in my bridge positions..Just a thought and you can try it?

I Just did another review about this pickup upon pulling out a 59B and going back to the hybrid in my LP...
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                Another EVH pickup trick is the Hybrid that Bachtorock turned alot of us onto...It's the 59B screw bobbin matched to the Custom's slug bobbin...Voiced to flavor using either the A2,or the A5...I like this better than just the stock 59 which at times I feel lacks the balls I need in my bridge positions..Just a thought and you can try it?

I Just did another review about this pickup upon pulling out a 59B and going back to the hybrid in my LP...

yeah this one is perfect for a 59 flavor that will do metal
                it sounds very classic like a 59 but has more going on
                1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
                2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
                1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
                1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
                Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
                5150 block letter head
                4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
                  yeah this one is perfect for a 59 flavor that will do metal
                  it sounds very classic like a 59 but has more going on
                  It creates more harmonics which fills out the vibe of the pickup because of the mismatched coils...You get the clean,crisp side of a 59,but you also get the crunchier and ballsier character of a custom bobbin...This pickup reads around 11.5k but it still very much acts like a 59B pickup but it just has a little more of everything...In my one guitar,this has been the only pickup that seems to fix my bridge tone,but I'll admit that a few guys on the forum that I respect and admire don't like the hybrid,so it's not for everyone!

I Like this pickup with an A2 magnet and I feel I get what I Like about the 59 pickup mixed with a Custom Custom...The CC alone was great,but it was a bit too warm and dark and didn't cut right..The C5's eq I didn't care for at all,in fact I've yet to keep a C5 in any of the guitars I've tryed it in...9 times outta 10,I'm putting A2 magnets in my bridge positions,except for a Demon in one of my strats and only because that guitar is a bit dark and unfocused..
                  Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 11-19-2005, 10:15 AM.
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDWING68NV
                    hey guys-how 'bout some input on using a "59" trembucker in the bridge slot of a strat-styled guitar for hard rock/80's metal,etc...
                    YES!!!!!! You just need a lot of distortion, but it's also useful for metal.
                    The '59 is not so hollow like a Jazz or a Humbucker from hell, but it acts well with the wood of the guitar. I found out that the tone of a guitar with a '59 through an amp gives you the same tone as a guitar sounds unplugged.
                    Pickups... the final frontier.
                    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

I'm gonna disagree with everyone, and recommend a Custom or Distortion. Lots of guys get some great heavy tones with low output pickups.

I'm NOT one of them.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                        I'm gonna disagree with everyone, and recommend a Custom or Distortion. Lots of guys get some great heavy tones with low output pickups.

I'm NOT one of them.
                        That's cool....Myself,I can't stand ceramic magnets in any of my pickups....They are too direct and out front to me...All projection and no sweetness...

Comment

I'm NOT one of them.
                          That also was my impression when i started to play and had another amp.
                          I found the '50 too weak.
                          Of course you'll get heavier tones, but with a lot of distortion (with the right amp) the '59 also rocks hard. I think the most users here mean the tone itself of the '59 and not the output.
                          Pickups... the final frontier.
                          These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                          Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein
                            Of course you'll get heavier tones, but with a lot of distortion (with the right amp) the '59 also rocks hard. I think the most users here mean the tone itself of the '59 and not the output.
                            That's why I like the Custom series... PAF tone with balls. It should be noted that I think the Demon is weak, and sucky for metal, too.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That's why I like the Custom series... PAF tone with balls. It should be noted that I think the Demon is weak, and sucky for metal, too.
                              I agree.....It's thin and freakin bright also! Needs to be in a darker instrument.

Comment

Working...
                              X