Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "59" - for hard rock & metal???

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
    That's why I like the Custom series... PAF tone with balls. It should be noted that I think the Demon is weak, and sucky for metal, too.
    That's also what i wanted to state, for this reason the Custom-series is meant, but i can't get warm with the SH-5. In the wrong guitar the bass is too tight.
    One option is the SH-14 with almost the same EQ as the SH-1, but it does not have that "feel" of the '59.
    Yes, the Demon is not that what you'd expect. Its output very, very slighty more than the '59, but it's not so fat.

I'm gonna keep only ONE guitar, and after all the years i swapped pickups, i think
    i will go with the '59 in a Gibson Explorer (or the SH-14), but sometimes the '59 could have really a bit more.
    What about the DiMarzio Virtual hot Paf?
    Pickups... the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein
      That's also what i wanted to state, for this reason the Custom-series is meant, but i can't get warm with the SH-5. In the wrong guitar the bass is too tight.
      One option is the SH-14 with almost the same EQ as the SH-1, but it does not have that "feel" of the '59.
      Yes, the Demon is not that what you'd expect. Its output very, very slighty more than the '59, but it's not so fat.

I'm gonna keep only ONE guitar, and after all the years i swapped pickups, i think
      i will go with the '59 in a Gibson Explorer (or the SH-14), but sometimes the '59 could have really a bit more.
      What about the DiMarzio Virtual hot Paf?

After all the years of trying JBs, Distortions and Super Distortions, Customs, Custom-Customs, C5s, Air Nortons, Nortons, Air Zones, ToneZones, I have found that lower output pups were what I was looking for. I remember listening to early Van Halen and wondering what type of pup he was using and even before then, listening to Pete Townsend and trying to get that type of tone. I then thought that maybe a strat had the sound I was after. I hear Malmsteen's Amber Dawn and fell in love with that tone also as it was "similar under gain" IMHO to the PAF type tone I was searching for.

So what have I learned?? I have a strat with 2 - 59s in it, another strat with YJMs/HS3 in it, a Wolfgang special with DiMarzio Virtual PAF and Virtual Hot PAF, another Wolfgang that's in line for the same . I also use the med to low gain amp settings on a POD Pro (Plexi models). If I want more out of the amp model, I use an od pedal. I feel that if you use a hot amp with the gain jacked that you are missing something by using hot pickups. Hot pickups sound compressed to me and if you are using a hot amp with the gain jacked, that's compressed also. To me that's overkill and you loose tone and end up with what I call a buzz saw of noise.

All in all, I'm very happy with my guitar tone, I get compliments everytime I gig out. Be it Duncan or Dimarzio, low output pickups to me are the best.

Comment

It's GOT to be in the right guitar (the 59 I mean) and paired with the right amp.

As for "bridge" position, In a bolt on strat/alder body...enjoy..great for what you seek

In an all mahogany guitar, enjoy....great for what you seek

But I've finally realized that when ever I've had them in the bridge of mahogany bodied instrument with a maple cap (My 93 black standard LP, my Heritage HC150, and now my Hamer Standard)..YUCK

TOO bright and twangy.....needs more mids. For blues rock, and classic rock ala Cream/WHO, etc, they do fine...but for late 70s, early to mid 80s metal/hard rock, they are too tame and shrill (again, in that style of guitar construction).

I think a 59 overwound to around 9-9.5K would be just about perfect for me..it would tame the highs/presence without getting too compressed and add some much needed mids/balls/oomph, while retaining solid bass response.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
          It's GOT to be in the right guitar (the 59 I mean) and paired with the right amp.

As for "bridge" position, In a bolt on strat/alder body...enjoy..great for what you seek

In an all mahogany guitar, enjoy....great for what you seek

But I've finally realized that when ever I've had them in the bridge of mahogany bodied instrument with a maple cap (My 93 black standard LP, my Heritage HC150, and now my Hamer Standard)..YUCK

TOO bright and twangy.....needs more mids. For blues rock, and classic rock ala Cream/WHO, etc, they do fine...but for late 70s, early to mid 80s metal/hard rock, they are too tame and shrill (again, in that style of guitar construction).

I think a 59 overwound to around 9-9.5K would be just about perfect for me..it would tame the highs/presence without getting too compressed and add some much needed mids/balls/oomph, while retaining solid bass response.

Have you tried the Virtual Hot Paf?? It's not really bright sounding and has very useable midrange and the lows are so pronounced as to being "boomy". They have tamed my Wolfie Special very much so. It might be what you are searching for (wound at 9.13k).

Comment

Originally posted by walt
            Have you tried the Virtual Hot Paf?? It's not really bright sounding and has very useable midrange and the lows are so pronounced as to being "boomy". They have tamed my Wolfie Special very much so. It might be what you are searching for (wound at 9.13k).
            If the super D doesn't work out, the VHPAF is definitely in the running, walt...I've heard too many good clips of it.

Currently I'm listening to one of VHolics clips of a DiMarzio PAF (normal one) vs 59s, and although he's not using a similar guitar as mine, it's very impressive compared to the 59...not as bright (though it is bright) and a bit crunchier/middy which is exactly what I want. I have a feeling some kind of DiMarzio may suit this guitar better.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by walt
              After all the years of trying JBs, Distortions and Super Distortions, Customs, Custom-Customs, C5s, Air Nortons, Nortons, Air Zones, ToneZones, I have found that lower output pups were what I was looking for. I remember listening to early Van Halen and wondering what type of pup he was using and even before then, listening to Pete Townsend and trying to get that type of tone. I then thought that maybe a strat had the sound I was after. I hear Malmsteen's Amber Dawn and fell in love with that tone also as it was "similar under gain" IMHO to the PAF type tone I was searching for.

So what have I learned?? I have a strat with 2 - 59s in it, another strat with YJMs/HS3 in it, a Wolfgang special with DiMarzio Virtual PAF and Virtual Hot PAF, another Wolfgang that's in line for the same . I also use the med to low gain amp settings on a POD Pro (Plexi models). If I want more out of the amp model, I use an od pedal. I feel that if you use a hot amp with the gain jacked that you are missing something by using hot pickups. Hot pickups sound compressed to me and if you are using a hot amp with the gain jacked, that's compressed also. To me that's overkill and you loose tone and end up with what I call a buzz saw of noise.

All in all, I'm very happy with my guitar tone, I get compliments everytime I gig out. Be it Duncan or Dimarzio, low output pickups to me are the best.
              Would you consider the Rio Grande BBQ a hot pickup. Compressed? It is about 12.5 - 13k wound with very thin wire similar to a JB but it is not as hot to my ears!

Comment

It works perfectly for me in my strat. It's nice and clean with high distortion. Lets the amp do make the distortion.
                Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                Fender Frontman 15g
                Cry Baby
                Boss DS-2
                Boss CE-3
                Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                  Another EVH pickup trick is the Hybrid that Bachtorock turned alot of us onto...It's the 59B screw bobbin matched to the Custom's slug bobbin...Voiced to flavor using either the A2,or the A5...I like this better than just the stock 59 which at times I feel lacks the balls I need in my bridge positions..Just a thought and you can try it?

I Just did another review about this pickup upon pulling out a 59B and going back to the hybrid in my LP...
                  Is this a pickup that SD sells or is it a mod to the '59? How do you thnk it would sound in an SG?
                  --------------------------------
                  Gibson '57 Historic Les Paul
                  Traynor Blue YCV50
                  Peavey Classic 20 (FOR SALE)

"Say hello to my lil' friend!!!!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                    Would you consider the Rio Grande BBQ a hot pickup. Compressed? It is about 12.5 - 13k wound with very thin wire similar to a JB but it is not as hot to my ears!

"For me" anything over 10k I would consider too hot for what "I'm" looking for. The key phrase is "For me" and "I'm". If it sounds good to you, it will sound good to someone else. What I mean is that when you find the tone that makes you happy, you will play better and be able to express your playing style better, which equals people telling you that you sound good.

Comment

One of the interesting things I think is that when EVH first hit the scene and really up until Fair Warning, most of us looked to his tone as definitive. Our ears were much different then. Now, when I break out some classic VH, his tone, while excellent, sometimes seems a little clean compared to today's players. Just my observation...
                      -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
                        One of the interesting things I think is that when EVH first hit the scene and really up until Fair Warning, most of us looked to his tone as definitive. Our ears were much different then. Now, when I break out some classic VH, his tone, while excellent, sometimes seems a little clean compared to today's players. Just my observation...
                        I hear the same thing, Butch. When I listen closely to his solos from back then, you can really hear him attacking the strings. The gain isn't high at all by today's standards. Sure, it's crunchy and that wonderful brown sound we all love, but's it is cleaner compared to what's heard today. I think hearing that and knowing the difference is what is pulling me to the vintage pickup line, such as the 59 model.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnymangia
                          Is this a pickup that SD sells or is it a mod to the '59? How do you thnk it would sound in an SG?
                          It's a mod. That is what makes a hybrid. Don't know how it would sound in an SG. Probably pretty good with the added "thunk" from the Custom bobbin.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                            I think hearing that and knowing the difference is what is pulling me to the vintage pickup line, such as the 59 model.
                            Yes, for me, it's easier to get more grit add more gain to a lower-output pickup than it is to clean up a high-ouput pickup. It's kind of like you can always add more layers of clothes in the winter to keep warm; but you can only take off so much in the summer to keep cool...
                            -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
                              Yes, for me, it's easier to get more grit add more gain to a lower-output pickup than it is to clean up a high-ouput pickup. It's kind of like you can always add more layers of clothes in the winter to keep warm; but you can only take off so much in the summer to keep cool...
                              Yep, you nailed it there. The hottest that I like now is the Custom Custom, and that one even cleans up really nice. For a pickup that's supposedly hot, it behaves more like a 10k pickup. Between that one and the 59, I think I'll be able to get all the tones I need.

Hmmm, has anyone done a CC/59 hybrid with the A2 mag? I wonder how that would sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                                It's a mod. That is what makes a hybrid. Don't know how it would sound in an SG. Probably pretty good with the added "thunk" from the Custom bobbin.
                                I'm currently using a Fred in the bridge spot of my Gibson SG,but a 59B/C hybrid does sound really good in there also..I think I've learned to like the added harmonics and articulate crunch factor that the mis-matched coils offer in my bridge positions..
                                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                                X