Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "59" - for hard rock & metal???

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    I'm currently using a Fred in the bridge spot of my Gibson SG,but a 59B/C hybrid does sound really good in there also..I think I've learned to like the added harmonics and articulate crunch factor that the mis-matched coils offer in my bridge positions..
    John, can you get some clips of that hybrid? I have got to hear that thing.

Here I am mentioning the CC/59B hybrid and you already have one and BachToRock did it too. It's the same thing as the Custom/59B since the Custom and CC are the same bobbins with different magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
      John, can you get some clips of that hybrid? I have got to hear that thing.

Here I am mentioning the CC/59B hybrid and you already have one and BachToRock did it too. It's the same thing as the Custom/59B since the Custom and CC are the same bobbins with different magnets.
      Sorry buddy....I don't do clips,as I'm not really set up to do them...I thought Jumpmarine posted some hybrid clips?
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
        Sorry buddy....I don't do clips,as I'm not really set up to do them...I thought Jumpmarine posted some hybrid clips?
        That's alright. I'll search the Tips and Clips section for any.

Comment

Yep, you nailed it there. The hottest that I like now is the Custom Custom, and that one even cleans up really nice. For a pickup that's supposedly hot, it behaves more like a 10k pickup. Between that one and the 59, I think I'll be able to get all the tones I need.

Hmmm, has anyone done a CC/59 hybrid with the A2 mag? I wonder how that would sound.
          You could try the Rio grande BBQ. Amazing pickup.

Comment

what's the difference with the 59 and the Set Lover? aren't they both sopposed to be PAF style?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
              You could try the Rio grande BBQ. Amazing pickup.
              What does it compare to in the Duncan line? How hot is it?

Comment

What does it compare to in the Duncan line? How hot is it?
                13k. Don't have any experience myself, but I've heard it described as a little dark and muddy.

I'm still lookin' too, ErikH.
                Originally posted by Frankly
                PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
                Originally posted by Diocletian
                Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

You know, the main reason there are hotter pups in the first place was to pimp slap the input tubes on an all tube amp. Same thing with fuzz boxes and overdrives. These days even the mildest amps come with more gain than you can sensibly use. Overall, adding monster signal from the pup just adds fizz and mudd. But - if there is a particular eq curve you want, cool, get whatever pup has that - and crank the gain down a tad. But a 59 should be able to go balls to the wall metal no problem. Just crank the gain up a bit...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan
                    13k. Don't have any experience myself, but I've heard it described as a little dark and muddy.

I'm still lookin' too, ErikH.
                    Hmm, almost at the limit for me there. I have never tried a Rio Grande. I'll do some reading up on it but right now I'm pretty set on the 59 or possibly a Custom/59 hybrid.

Aceman, there is no doubt the 59 can do hard rock/metal. I've been playing Judas Priest on my Strat with the Little 59 and delivers everything I need it to.

Comment

I use a 59 in my new LP and it kicks! I really only play Rock (think old Aerosmith meets the Pistols) but I do some blues and a little Country here and there and it covers them all well, great pickup, classic sound.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I don't care what it is - unless you got a Soldano or Diezel or something balls out - I would never use a 59 for metal. You CAN! It WILL work, but how about a Custom? or I love the Gibson Ceramics for metal, and the Angus Young! I think you need some bass and balls for metal unless you have a great amp like Lester said. Bill Lawrence is also great for metal, and if you haven't tried em - Dimarzio Air Zone and Evolution are great metal humbuckers. Consider the Breed, too!
                        1973 Les Paul Standard
                        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

thanks for all the input,guys.much appreciated.i did end up getting a '59b and deinately do like it.it's got good highs that are not harsh,plenty of bass and ample mids that blend in well with my basswood ibanez rg(which is naturally somewhat middy).the 59b is definately a keeper pup.as far as doing "metal".it'll work fine,but i do notice that it's just a tad much on the vintage vibe side measuring out at 8.5k.once again,through all my trials with various pups-low,med & high output,i seem to gravitate towards the classic 10k(give or take) pups.they have the killer open,clear paf tone,but have just that extra little overwound "push" that lets them crunch and rock hard without going into "compression" territory.i've just,also recived a patb-3 blues saraceno-and that seems to be "the one" for this axe.i'll be posting my results on this pup in the next few days.right now,i've just been having too much fun with the patb-3.great pup.9.8k rating.best of both worlds between the 59b,the demon,and the c5......

Comment

ooops!!! "spelling" correction - "received" is not spelled "recived".my robot man-avatar must have a dirty eyepiece or something!!! oh well,off to the liquor store...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                              I don't care what it is - unless you got a Soldano or Diezel or something balls out - I would never use a 59 for metal. You CAN! It WILL work, but how about a Custom? or I love the Gibson Ceramics for metal, and the Angus Young! I think you need some bass and balls for metal unless you have a great amp like Lester said. Bill Lawrence is also great for metal, and if you haven't tried em - Dimarzio Air Zone and Evolution are great metal humbuckers. Consider the Breed, too!
                              Olin, I use a Line 6 Vetta II head so I have all the gain I need and for that I find the lower output - to medium output best even for heavy rock and metal. We play disturbed type music and I use a WCR Goodwood as my main pickups but also used the 59 before and it worked! :6:

Comment

I prefer low output for metal. I'm glad to see you like the 59.
                                Defender of the Sonic faith.

Gibson SG Faded

Carvin Vintage 16 amp

http://www.lp.org

Comment

Working...
                                X