Iommi Signature pickup review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iommi Signature pickup review

A Tony Iommi Signature model is what I have in the bridge of my Epi LP. It is without a doubt one of the finest pickups I have ever played through. The amount of gain without feedback is enormous. The top insides are wax potted, and the lower half of the pickup cover is filled to the rim with black epoxy.

Sonically, I would not use Gibson's description of this pickup in regards to the top end being "razor sharp". The highs/mids/lows are balanced. No ice picks, no self-smothering boomy lows...and super-taught broad mid-range that sounds to my ears like the later post-OZZY Black Sabbath tune "Heaven and Hell". The Low string dynamics/volume do not suffer by being the edge of the pickups magnetic reach (I am using 10-52, on a D-tuning). Good or bad, this pickup will not be mistaken for the first four Sabbath albums.

I would not characterize this pickup as a pinch harmonic monster. The pinches are there if you reach a little for them, but this is an English Gentleman's answer in the quest for ultimate driven tone. An instant classic!

This is not a pickup for Zakk/80's hair band over-the-top bombast (not to be judgemental, but this is accurate if you strip the connotations, and remember the tones). Driving and focused, without a hint of spandex (now that was judgemental)!

This pickup is listed by Gisbon as being usable in both the bridge and neck positions. I may forgo this buying pickup for the neck, and get a SD Alnico II Pro. I have yet to decide. By the way, according to Gibson's web articles, this pickup was in the works before the Iommi Signature SG project, so it is not necessarily a pickup just for SG's.

Thanks for your time/comments/opinions.
    Last edited by Sludgenutz; 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM.

Re: Iommi Signature pickup review

Good review...FWIW, get the other Iommi for the neck...the pair is out of this world!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Would you agree that it is one of the clearest, quietest humbuckers you've ever heard? I'm lovin' mine!
      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

How tight is it, or the low end?

Comment

I would characterize the lows as being tight, not over bearing or muddy "like ten pounds of (poop) in a five pound bag"!I

If you can, listen to Sab's "Heaven and Hell"...or the Ozzy era track "Never Say Die".

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            Good review...FWIW, get the other Iommi for the neck...the pair is out of this world!
            My man, I gotta know...how are these pickups together and neck only!

gotta know gotta know gotta know!

Comment

The neck is just as impressive as the bridge and together they are fantastic...is just that simple.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have one in the bridge of my les paul.
                I honestly think that this is one of the most underated pickups... so many people give bad reviews about it - and I can kinda understand why they think that way when I play by myself. But when you play with a band, it makes your guitar sit in that "sweet spot" so that it stands out without having to compete with the other instruments.

I've tried many pickups in my guitar but I've always come back to this.

Its just so clear and articulate! Extremely crisp.

However, I don't know why Gibson says its a really high output pickup. I find its quite a low output one. Would you agree?

Comment

Is it 4 conductor, by any chance? Also, do you know the magnet used and the DC resistance?
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Tony owns, and I am actually having bad GAS for some Iommi pu's, to put in one of my guitars.

What woods do you think it would work best with?

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
                    Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
                    Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
                    Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
                    Framus FR212 CB cabinet
                    Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
                    Line6 Toneport UX2
                    Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Spuds, I agree. the output does not seem near as high as the Dirty Fingers pickup, which are stock in my old 335-S. Here is an interesting Gibson "relative output" chart. I find it rather odd that the Iommi is in the top 3:

It does not surprise me that in the live situation, a guitar with the Iommi rules its domain. The total focus of this pickup seems to know its place, and does not flub into the bassist. The clarity that you note, should not be assumed by others to be Fender-ish in any form!
                      Last edited by Sludgenutz; 11-29-2005, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                        Is it 4 conductor, by any chance? Also, do you know the magnet used and the DC resistance?
                        Benjy_26: Guitars supplied with Iommi pickups are ONLY 2 conductor models. BUT, individual Iommi pickups purchased seperately DO HAVE four conductor wiring! You will not know which pairs of wire are on the neck coil side or bridge side coil (unless you test out the sonic differences) because there are no pole pieces (or label) showing how to orient this pickup. I you wire it up two conductor style, none of this matters.

I do not want to pollute this gracious site by trumpeting random opinions that are not my own observation...but if you look up the MF website, and look for the longest review of this pickup, you may pick up more info on the internal specifics of this design.
                        Last edited by Sludgenutz; 11-29-2005, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sludgenutz
                          Spuds, I agree. the output does not seem near as high as the Dirty Fingers pickup, which are stock in my old 335-S. Here is an interesting Gibson "relative output" chart. I find it rather odd that the Iommi is in the top 3:

It does not surprise me that in the live situation, a guitar with the Iommi rules its domain. The total focus of this pickup seems to know its place, and does not flub into the bassist. The clarity that you note, should not be assumed by others to be Fender-ish in any form!
                          Yeah, I saw that chart too and it really confused me!
                          Haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Sune
                            Tony owns, and I am actually having bad GAS for some Iommi pu's, to put in one of my guitars.

What woods do you think it would work best with?
                            The woods in your guitar! Seriously, I am not a huge fan of having to match the wood/pickup tone to some exact standard. Seymour's product list says the APH-1n Alnico Pro II suggest these types of guitars:

"For brighter toned instruments. Works especially well with maple and ebony fingerboards. Also works great with hollow and semi-hollow body guitars".

Yet, Slash has inspired more purchases of this pickup than all other people on this planet combined, by using it in the Les Paul neck postion!
                            Last edited by Sludgenutz; 11-30-2005, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Just ordered a second Iommi pickup for the neck. I will update the board on how the mix of the two sound, and the tone of the neck-only in couple of weeks. Until then, I'll have my solder station ready for action.

Comment

Working...
                              X