Schematic help- 3 humbucker, Flying-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schematic help- 3 humbucker, Flying-V

I am trying to install 3 humbuckers in a flying-v (copy) for a guy, and can't find any schematics that will work for this. I only have room for 3 pots, right now it's set up as a vol, vol, tone. I may be able to get a push/pull in there.

I am using a standard LP style toggle switch, and would like each position to be for each pickup. Is it possible to have a volume for the neck, and one for the bridge and middle?

I've also been asked if it's possible to just wire the middle along with the bridge, so the hot lead for the middle would go where the bridge goes. Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Some of my current gear:

Wolfgang standard, Deluxe Strat HSS
    SG Angus
    Epi Les Paul w/ Dimarzio Air nort/Tone zone
    Ibanez Blazer ('80) P.Gates/'59
    Mesa Stiletto Trident
    Various Pedals @ any given time

Re: Schematic help- 3 humbucker, Flying-V

How about this:

Wire the bridge and neck pickups to the switch, & wire one of the volumes as a master vol. Wire the middle pickup to the other volume, & feed it to the output of the switch at the master volume. Then you can fade the middle pickup in & out.
    Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

Yep, that's pretty much what I ended up going with. Used a standard humbucker wiring with 1 volume, 1 tone, then just added the 'blender' scenario from the tele schematic. Works perfectly, thanks!
      Some of my current gear:

SG Angus
      Mesa Stiletto Trident

Comment

Cool. How about a picture?
        Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Gdntoneguitars
          I am trying to install 3 humbuckers in a flying-v (copy) for a guy, and can't find any schematics that will work for this. I only have room for 3 pots, right now it's set up as a vol, vol, tone. I may be able to get a push/pull in there. I am using a standard LP style toggle switch, and would like each position to be for each pickup. Is it possible to have a volume for the neck, and one for the bridge and middle? I've also been asked if it's possible to just wire the middle along with the bridge, so the hot lead for the middle would go where the bridge goes. Is that possible? Thanks,
          Might be possible, but unless they want it 3 position per pickup, I'd recommend instead using a 5-way strat-style switch. More logical.
          Also, this is my preference, but I'd say one master volume, one master tone, not push/pull, and wire a single switch to control split/normal, like a DPDT on/off/on, but more like a TPDT (like DPDT is basically two SPDT, but get a TPDT, if they make 'em), so that you split them all, or don't split them all, etc. You can piece together other schematics for all this and make it work. But hey, that's just my preference.
          As for one position for one pickup, you might need a special switch. Wiring middle with bridge, that's not hard to do. Just have one pickup feed into the other if you have to.
          My Music Page
          Originally posted by vinterland
          I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
          Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boy Bob
            Cool. How about a picture?

Will do. I'll see if I can get a couple pics up here sometime.

Thanks!
            Some of my current gear:

SG Angus
            Mesa Stiletto Trident

Comment

Hiya! I am resurrecting this dead thread cause I am trying to do the exact same thing w/ a 3 pickup V but I am getting stuck in thinking this through.

I have a SNS neck, Phat Cat middle, SNS bridge.

What do I do? Ha. Someone got a wiring diagram for me? Thanks internet.

Comment

one of my V's. three pickups.

@blakejcan: what do you want, exactly. A blend pot, 3 way toggle and master volume and tone? 5 way blade, master volume and tone? Need more info

Comment

3 pickups, 2 volumes, 1 tone and a 3 way toggle is what I have right now

neck-SNS
                  middle-phat cat
                  bridge-SNS

If I read the earlier super old posts on here correctly it sounds like I can setup one volume to be a master volume for everything, have one master tone and then fade in the middle pickup on it's own volume. If I understand it right, then the toggle will give me the following options:

neck
                  middle+bridge
                  bridge

And then I can just turn the volume up or down on the middle to bring it in or out. That right?

I wanted to try the freeway switch to get more options but it looked like a huge cluster and was not low profile it would not fit my pickguard setup. Definitely meant for a les paul.

Comment

Overview of Free-Way products. Free-Way 6-position Toggle switches to suit various guitar formats including pre-wired models. Free-Way 6 & 10 position Blade Switches for S-type and T-type guitars.

Schematic diagrams for Free-Way 3X3-03, 3X3-05, 3X3-07 & 3X3-08 Toggle Switch models. Dimensional templates also provided.

Have the 6 positions toggle in a Gibson style guitar. I don't see it as "better" than other solutions : I have blenders in other instruments as well... but if a "normal" looking switch is required, Free-Way products are nice.

FWIW.
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

THanks man. I have the freeway switch in hand and was going to go with it but it is way too tall to fit in the cavity and line-up with this flying V pickguard. Definitely meant for a les paul.

So what are my options with the existing 3 way toggle?

Comment

this switch, too tall?! it's a really tiny one. That being said, I would not recommend the freeway 2x3 toggle. I used it for a couple of guitars but it broke down way too fast. Helas.

What I would do is make my own Pickguard and get a 5 way blade, master volume, master tone. That's imho the cleanest option.

That being said. I understand that's not the easiest route, so instead I would opt for:

3 way toggle (B, B+N, N), master volume, master tone and in the third 'pot hole', I would install a toggle to toggle in or out the middle pickup to the circuit. I've never been a fan of blend pots

Comment

I use a 6 positions Free-way toggle extensively for several years and it works fine for me. Now, I'm not brutal with my switches... and as I said, I don't especially "recommend" it over other solutions. It's just an alternative that I wanted to share.

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                          So what are my options with the existing 3 way toggle?
                          Push pull tone pot enabling the 3rd PU... added mini-toggle / added volume doing the same... or Fender TBX with a regular tone pot on the 250k side and the 1M side acting like a volume control for the 3d PU.

The TBX can be mounted in a Gibson: I've it in my 67 RI Flying V (albeit I use it for another circuit than a 3rd PU).

I've a TBX with the 1M side used as a volume control in a Fender: I use it as a blender between neck and bridge PU.

Again, it's just a possible solution among others.
                          Last edited by freefrog; 01-29-2020, 07:42 AM.
                          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

yeah, I'm more of a 'Zakk Wylde/John Sykes' kinda switcher: hard and fast. The poor freeway didn't stand a chance.

Comment

Working...
                            X