banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardtail Strat v.s. Tremolo Strat: Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardtail Strat v.s. Tremolo Strat: Difference?

Originally posted by Baltar
    i have strats of both types, but never use the lever.
    both have unique sounds. find out what suits your type of playing
    From my experience, for most things the added sustain is more noticible than the missing spring cavity, springs, etc. I would say go hardtail, but that's just me. with all due respect to the others, there's still a whole lot of strat left to make it a strat. =) I think you'd do more to change the sound by going from a vintage to a modern neck than by making it a hardtail.

Comment

Thank you so much for you input guys.....

Different opinions as expected and lots of good info.
      I think Lew summed it up for me........."go try both types and see what you like better". The only problem is that hardtail strats are not easy to find here in Iceland. We have a Fender dealership but you could say that it's not exactly Guitar Center :

Thanks a lot for you help

Petur

Comment

I have one of each. Each is alder-bodied with the pickups in my signature.

My Fender California Strat has the tremelo locked down and a maple/maple neck. As a rule it always sounds super thin and twangy. Even the super distortion with it's wall of lows and low-mids twangs out big-time when i play this thing. Not necessarily a bad thing because I like how obnoxious it can be with the single coils...twang-snap-twangedy snap snap

My Warmoth is hardtail with a rosewood/maple neck. This thing has a lot more low-end and mids than the Fender does naturally. It's also a lot louder acoustically and sustains far more. The tuning is rock-solid unless i hit something with the headstock (happens more often than you'd think haha) and it's definitely my dream guitar.

I think the "tone the springs add" is just more twang and thinness to an already twangy and thin-sounding guitar. More wood means more vibration means a bigger sound so...hopefully that helps.

-X
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by petursig
          Thank you so much for you input guys.....

The only problem is that hardtail strats are not easy to find here in Iceland.
          Hardtail Strats are hard to find anywhere. I'd love to have a 60s RI hardtail, but Fender hasn't made one recently, if at all. I once saw some literature on a '50s RI Hardtail, but my local dealer sad he had never even heard of such a thing.

Having said that, I haven't noticed much difference. I have two hardtails and several (3, I think) soft-tails and they all sound like...well, Strats.

I never use the trem. I put five springs on there and tighten the claw so the bridge is sitting firmly against the top of the body. Maybe that's why I don't really see a difference. Maybe a blocked trem and a hardtail sound about the same when compared to a Strat with a floating trem.
          Steve
          I don't mean to offend, I just have a knack for it.

Duncans used; Lil '59, Ducky & Hotrail in my Mahogany Hardtail Strat;
          Brobucker and Cool Rail are on hold for future projects.

:banana: :rocket: "Dance Banana Boy, Dance!"

Comment

Originally posted by skh515
            I put five springs on there and tighten the claw so the bridge is sitting firmly against the top of the body. Maybe that's why I don't really see a difference. Maybe a blocked trem and a hardtail sound about the same when compared to a Strat with a floating trem.
            It's tough to know what the real difference would be since you'd have to have a hardtail and then route it to be a trem guitar...there's just too many variables to have a scientific comparison. But, most of the hardtails I've played resonate & feel a little more "solid" then trem guitars...even when the trem is locked down. It stands to reason, there's a little more wood there and the bridge is making full contact with the body. You can find a dog in either direction but the general vibe I get is that a hardtail Strat is a little closer to a Tele vibe, and the bridge pickup almost always seems more usable. YMMV.

FWIW I've been sticking foam under the trem springs for years...it's a MUST if you're in a high gain situation.
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I have my first hard tail Strat and think it is great. Having those tremelo aprings in the body of a guitar adds a non-musical, out of tune resonance and I perceive no good use for that.

Comment

Hardtail doesn't pull notes out of tune when bending

You dont get that cool flutter when you shake the guitar

The bar isn't always in the way
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Hardtail is less jangley.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I am not sure. I do not have a hardtail Strat, but in a recent comparison of my new hardtail Player Series Lead III, my hardtail '81 Lead II and my Kahler'd '62 RI Strat I think my Lead II is more jangley than my RI Strat. Before I choose sides I need to bust out my backup MIM Strat I am trying to sell and hear how the Fender trem compares.
                    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I use a trem a lot, so I've never directly compared them. However, half of my guitars don't have a trem, and they sound great. I don't know if you could compare it unless you did a before/after recording after installing a trem.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the noise that you get from trem springs.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                          I agree with what was said before.

BUT remember that Clapton's Brownie was a hardtail strat. That guitar, I think, is one of the best sounding strats I have ever heard. The first song on the derek and the dominoes called I looked away is one of my all time favorites.

B
                          Damn!

This is wrong. Yeah, he had a hardtail that he was using for slide, but not brownie...

What was I thinking!

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                            I have one of each. Each is alder-bodied with the pickups in my signature.

My Fender California Strat has the tremelo locked down and a maple/maple neck. As a rule it always sounds super thin and twangy. Even the super distortion with it's wall of lows and low-mids twangs out big-time when i play this thing. Not necessarily a bad thing because I like how obnoxious it can be with the single coils...twang-snap-twangedy snap snap

My Warmoth is hardtail with a rosewood/maple neck. This thing has a lot more low-end and mids than the Fender does naturally. It's also a lot louder acoustically and sustains far more. The tuning is rock-solid unless i hit something with the headstock (happens more often than you'd think haha) and it's definitely my dream guitar.

I think the "tone the springs add" is just more twang and thinness to an already twangy and thin-sounding guitar. More wood means more vibration means a bigger sound so...hopefully that helps.

-X
                            And if the OP can't locate a hardtail guitar, maybe installing a block of wood inside the trem cavity might produce a similar effect since there would be more surface contact between the bridge/body than the studs and springs would provide.

Comment

Addendum to what I wrote 15 years ago. I still have the hard tail strat, but I used it to create a Alan Holdsworth replica Charvel as a tribute after he passed a couple years ago. This strat had a basswood body. So I routed it for a vintage style trem and installed a vintage six point trem with an aluminum block, and changed it to a single hum configuration, while installing a Charvel ebony fretboard neck. I think it sounds way better, but admit that more than one thing was changed at a time.

I have generally decided I prefer trem equipped strats even if I don't use the trem much on that particular guitar.

My PRS has a trem but I use it as a hard tail. I experimented with installing a wood block. It didn't add any more sustain but it did change the tone by adding mids. It was the JB, Vintage 30, range of mids though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                                Addendum to what I wrote 15 years ago. I still have the hard tail strat, but I used it to create a Alan Holdsworth replica Charvel as a tribute after he passed a couple years ago. This strat had a basswood body. So I routed it for a vintage style trem and installed a vintage six point trem with an aluminum block, and changed it to a single hum configuration, while installing a Charvel ebony fretboard neck. I think it sounds way better, but admit that more than one thing was changed at a time.

I have generally decided I prefer trem equipped strats even if I don't use the trem much on that particular guitar.

My PRS has a trem but I use it as a hard tail. I experimented with installing a wood block. It didn't add any more sustain but it did change the tone by adding mids. It was the JB, Vintage 30, range of mids though.
                                What pickups were in your Holdsworth tribute?
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X