Fender Big Dipper pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Big Dipper pickups

Rev or a pickup designer would have to show me in person how to scattered wind these special pickups for me to really learn the tricks of it

Comment

but how they get that scooped mid-range out of a pickup?
      Thats just Marketing -- ya can't leave the bass and the highs intact and dump the mids..--
      John is using two 100 watt custom amps with the scooped mids and a fender amp sets between those two and that adds the mid sound he likes--basicially hes using Weak DC pups.

He would have to raise the bass side of the pup up under the strings to add bass and keep the other side away from the strings.

the amps and FX would have to do the rest-

You simply cannot pull the mids out of a single coil and leave behind the bass cause the bass is going to go too-- ..

It was a marketing genuis that was suggesting his sound is that of scopped mid's "Big Dippers" lalalalla! and so forth -- but in the real world its just low DC's doin the job and a pickup height adjsutment and amps doing the rest.

Marketing Genuises -- forget some of us talk on the internet -- and we figure out every nook and cranny there is-- and they think they can create new terms for pickups/amps/guitars.. that arent nessarally ture --
      I see it all over the map!

John wants to be known for his scooped sound -- making guys think if they buy this guitar with Big Dippers then they too will have it-- is partially true -- but not completely.

Comment

ok i c thats Rev

Comment

I'm going to have to bail out from so much PC time latley -- I am falling behind in my work-- setting in front of this thing talking by pushing down a series of half inch square buttons to form words-- is really robbing away my time--

KICK me OUT for a week--

bye-bye!
          Loginig off
          Rev.

Comment

sorry about that Rev

Comment

I've just come across this post - so apologies for the tardy response. I've played pretty much every style, model and configuration of Strat known to man. I own various Strats: '63, '82, 92, '10 and finally a John Meyer. And IMHO, the Meyer is the nicest sounding of all of them. Scooped mids? That's not my experience. Less brittleness on bridge pickup - yes. Rounder, softer tone - yes. But unless the missing mids referred to are extreme upper mids, that's just not what these pickups sound like. To my way of thinking, Strats with scooped mids should produce more "quack", not less. And the Meyer Strat isn't nearly as quacky as a typical Standard. As a matter of fact, I so love the tone that I went back to my music store to order "Big Dipper" for my other working Strat. Unfortunately, I was told they only come in Meyer Strats and aren't sold separately.

Comment

Working...
              X