another ds-1 by STRATDELUXER97 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another ds-1 by STRATDELUXER97 review

This is a great pedal! I always kind of liked my ds-1 but thought that it just wasn't ready for the prime time. With the mod, the tone is MUCH fatter, less buzzy, and more natural in sound and response. There is a lot more range on the distortion control, as I used to dime it all the time (without enough distortion) and now 1:00 is more than enough. This pedal is also much more usable, as the stock unit is sounds too crackly and gets lost in the mix at gigging levels. With his mod, the pedal sounds better as the amp gets louder! It's definitely going in the next incarnation of my pedalboard.

I was testing it in channel 2 (fender channel) of my rivera knucklehead with a mesa 4x12 cab. I liked it best with single coil guitars and my lp standard with a SD custom in the bridge. Not only is his mod great, but he did everything very quickly, affordably, and professionally. And this is just his hobby! Great job, STRATDELUXER97 (aka John S.), my hat goes off to your sir.
    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Re: another ds-1 by STRATDELUXER97 review

Originally posted by TwofacePimp
    This is a great pedal! I always kind of liked my ds-1 but thought that it just wasn't ready for the prime time. With the mod, the tone is MUCH fatter, less buzzy, and more natural in sound and response. There is a lot more range on the distortion control, as I used to dime it all the time (without enough distortion) and now 1:00 is more than enough. This pedal is also much more usable, as the stock unit is sounds too crackly and gets lost in the mix at gigging levels. With his mod, the pedal sounds better as the amp gets louder! It's definitely going in the next incarnation of my pedalboard.

I was testing it in channel 2 (fender channel) of my rivera knucklehead with a mesa 4x12 cab. I liked it best with single coil guitars and my lp standard with a SD custom in the bridge. Not only is his mod great, but he did everything very quickly, affordably, and professionally. And this is just his hobby! Great job, STRATDELUXER97 (aka John S.), my hat goes off to your sir.
    Thanks so much for the kind words and the great review buddy....Glad you dig the modded DS1...I always voice my pedal mods using my American Deluxe Strat loaded with Antiquity Texas Hot Single coils..I Use this guitar in every pedal mod and then into my vintage Marshall head and into a V30 4X12 cab...If it sounds good through this setup and for my own fussy ears,then most other players end up liking the pedal also... The key with the DS1 is to beef up some cap values and trim away alot of that synthetic sounding and grainey crap that rides over the notes...This pedal really reminds me of a really good JCM 800 Marshall amp after the mods...It's still pretty toppy but it has a nice british crunch with tightness and note definition that alot of guys like...Can't beat the DS1 for a $39 pedal.... Thanks again for taking the time to let myself and others about your pedal..Enjoy it...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
    X