• Show
Clear All

Re: Brobucker Reviews

Anyone using it in the neck?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

i dont think it would make a good neck pup unless the guitar had NO bottom end. its got some beef to it

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
        Same here. I've read all the reviews so far and only one was in Charvel (Travis I think?). But he got a normal spaced I think. This will help me decide entirely which way to go, tremspaced or normal spaced. Right now the decision is normal spaced since I'm content with my Strats.

Yep, it went into my Charvel 750xl. But that guitar is somewhere between a true superstrat and a Les Paul. It's got a thick mahogany body with a thick arched maple top, set in maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and a tune-o-matic/string thru bridge. If I don't sell my Hamer Special FM, I'll try it in there and see how it performs in that type of guitar. I'm guessing, just as well.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

The Brobucker replaced the Custom 3 in the bridge of my Warmoth VIP (I also switched the A3 A2pro neck back to an A2). Those two pickups are a good match: different timbres, but the same amp EQ profile works for both (unlike the PGb Sethn problem that Jeremy had).

Overall, I like it a lot. My first impression was similar to an earlier posters: it has a sound that reminds me a early 80's British metal (Priest, AC/DC [OK, not British). I wouldn't call it bassy, but it has a very full sound (this would probably work very well in an SG). The highs are there, but in a good way: sparkle, but no ice-pick. This is a pretty versatile pickup, that could be used for roots rock with light to medium break-up (does a good job of comping the lead guitar on the new Son Volt album) to modern metal and thrash. It's not perfect, but pretty darn close. If I were to change anything, I might slightly underwind it (9.5k?). Having said that, this sounds like the pickup I've been looking for all along for this guitar, so I think I'll keep it.

As far as output goes, it is about the same as the Custom 3 it replaced (the C3 has noticebly less output than the CC) and more than the 490t in my SG.

I have a trembucker version, and the cover is slightly wider than the trem-spaced Custom 3 (with cover) that it replaced. I'm having a hard time adjusting the height, as the BB has problems clearing Warmoth's route. I'd like to lower it a bit and play with raising the pole pieces.
          This machine kills fascists

Comment

I love the fatness of it, being like an overwound 59, but I can see that an ideal Brobucker would be more like 9.6K -or+. But who knows, maybe the fact that it's 10K gives it the push it needs to really bridge the gap between vintage and modern, which is what the whole intention of the pickup was.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

So did anyone else take a reading from their bucker? I'm reading 9.71K today.

Comment

Mine was 10.0 exactly.
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

man GJ now you have me thinking about putting mine in my les paul standard to replace the JB and go with the Jazz that's in the neck...hmmmmm, need to think this over more.

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

After reading all this I feel sick to my stomac for not getting in on this... You're describing my dream pup...

Oh well hopefully they'll run them into production with all the positive reviews.
                    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Has anyone tried it split yet? It is four conductor after all! Depending on the amount of the mismatch it might sound killer!
                      Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

To all ~

Since I finally know how to solder, I installed the BB a handful of days ago - it replaced my newest Timbucker bridge (that replaced the Wagner BetSet bridge).

Overall, although she is much hotter than I need for my current rig, I love the pickup!!!

Comparatively, I think she is much more articulate than a 59b, with great harmonics, nice highs and good mids and lows. The clean and lead tones are, both, great, which is rare for a bridge pickup. I've not seen too many that where I'm comfortable with both.

Like JumpMarine mentioned versus his GT with Fillmores, the BB has less mids and is less Allmans-esque, but that wasn't the intention of the pickup. We wanted to get a PAF wind at 10K and the result was really, really GOOD!

Regarding another Custom Shop order, I spoke with MJ on Friday, and thanked her many times for making the pickups for all of us. She sounded exhausted and I told her that she deserved a huge round of applause from everyone on the Forum. She said "thank you" and was happy that we are enjoying her hard work!

A+++++++++++++++++++++ for the BroBucker. I'm keeping mine, but am pulling her out for now until I get another LP for her. I'm thinking Jazz (b) in the neck position and Brobucker in the bridge!!!!

Thank you MJ for your hard work!!!
                        Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

that was a very cool post, Lee

it sounds like the Bro B surprised you in a good way, which is great considering it was "designed by committee"

thanks for your comments about MJ ... I think many people who ordered the Bro B don't realize that right after NAMM may be one of the busiest times for the CS. I was frankly surprised they got them out so soon, but MJ is very efficient.

I'll repeat that it would be nice if we could return the favor, but yes, how? How do you repay someone, beyond the price, for the magical skill it takes.?
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

not sure, but i think it would be great to come up with something for her.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                              not sure, but i think it would be great to come up with something for her.

I agree we should come up with something special for her. But we should also do something for Evan and Scott F.
                              Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

So everyone is finding a production Duncan neck pup works well with the brobucker? no huge "clarity" discrepancy when switching from pup to pup?

Barring a 59 (which I've had poor luck with lately) and the Jazz-N (which I've never liked) what would be a good neck match? PG? Seth? AP2? (going in a Les Paul...finally got something I dig enough to keep and slap the Brobucker into!)
                                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                                X