Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S.I.R. 100w SuperLead

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar

Default Re: S.I.R. 100w SuperLead

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Slash and EVH, two guitar tones I never understood the rabid following of.
    Now the EVH thing we'll have to part ways on. VH1-Fair Warning were my holy grail for decades. Once I'd finally officially acheived the brown sound, I realized that I had no real use for it (since I don't play in a VH cover band), but still... that tone haunted me longer than any other.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Btw... these days I'm just more into classic dirty rock tones ala Brother Cane's "Seeds"album. Which is just regular old plexi stuff turned up loud like most other great rock album tones.

Oh, and to add to that I also love Leppard "High and Dry", ACDC "Back In Black", and any albums/ tones from The Darkness. So pretty iconic rock Marshall tones.
    Last edited by Red_Label; 03-05-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    Once I'd finally officially acheived the brown sound, I realized that I had no real use for it
    See we ended up in the same place, I just got there before you.

I love early VH and Ed's sound on those records, I just never had the desire to emulate it.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

See we ended up in the same place, I just got there before you.

I love early VH and Ed's sound on those records, I just never had the desire to emulate it.
    Ha ha! Yup. I thought I did... until I got there and was like "cool, glad I finally found it... now what???"

My Carl Martin Plexitone into the blue channel in plexi mode on my Bogner XTC Classic was the first time I thought I'd achieved it. Then, later when I ran my Bogner Harlow into the plexi channel of my Smallbox, that was even closer. I heard a guy nail the brown sound on a Ceriatine Chupacabra 50-watter as well. But I didn't get that same tone from my Chup. And Victor's rendition of "Unchained" on one of his Mojave Peacemakers, had me wanting one for years. But by the time I found one for a great price... I no longer had a use for that tone. And great driven amps without a loop are competely useless to me, which is why I sold the Chup. It had a loop, but I didn't like using it. The Friedman loops are perfection.

Even if Dave never modded a single amp, his loop and MV are the benchmarks.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Even if Dave never modded a single amp, his loop and MV are the benchmarks.
    Yup. Competely transparent. The loops on my Chup, 2203x, Bogner XTC, etc were anything but...

Hi all, I know this a freakishly old thread but has anyone kept the schematic for this mod? From what I saw in the original thread it's not the actual #39 mod but I'd still like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    Btw... these days I'm just more into classic dirty rock tones ala Brother Cane's "Seeds"album. Which is just regular old plexi stuff turned up loud like most other great rock album tones.
    Thought Damion used his Lee Jackson modded Plexies on those tracks? Haven't seen him in a while but have a friend or 2 who would know. We all used to hang out over at Highland music here in Birmingham back in the late 80's and 90's so---. Played through a couple of the Jackson modded Plexies that Don wound up with at Highland and that sure sounds familiar.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.