Body wood: Poplar vs. Alder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Body wood: Poplar vs. Alder

Poplar is 10% cheaper roughly at the prices I'm seeing. I don't mind heavier and more resonant, so I'll probably go for it. I probably wouldn't notice the sound difference
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro w/ Slash Alnico IIs
    VH2 Bumblebee Strat - WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post
      I wouldn't say 'poor man' is a good way to put it. Steve Morse picked Poplar over Alder....he isnt really a poor man's player.

If the wood fits your ear it is all good
      Jackson used to use poplar for the USA Soloists, and perhaps they still do on certain models, so it's not exactly poor man's anything....
      Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
      Marshall JVM410H
      Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
      Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
      ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
      Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
      Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
      Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
      Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

My old orange-crackle 88 Charvel H/S (neck-thru w/jackson-floyd and pickups) was a good sounding poplar guitar.
        Definitely a punchier more focused and deadened tone compared to the vast majority of alder super-strats I've played.

Overall I do prefer alder because it just seems to have a more "life" to the tone.
        I'm sure not a fan of alder for the standard emg set, even though it's forever been a staple combo for jacksons and esps.

Comment

---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Yeah old thread. But since it was posted, I have an alder Music Man & a poplar one, with just about the saem body shape. The poplar one has a ton of mids. The alder one is much more scooped. I've went through several types of pickups in the poplar one to scoop out the mids (a Jazz & C5 is in there now), and it still is more middy than my Alnico II Pro & Custom Custom one.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by MkIII Renegade View Post
              Jackson used to use poplar for the USA Soloists, and perhaps they still do on certain models, so it's not exactly poor man's anything....
              Well have to amend that to 'company making lots of profit' man's alder in that case

Comment

Wow, this topic has risen from the grave five times as far as I can tell. Really strange to see the names of some old-timers from ten years back here again.

For what it is worth I think virtually all talk of superior and inferior is useless when it comes to tonewood. There have been enough stellar guitars made of poplar to show that anybody who is still talking about 'poor man's alder' is either trying to sell something or repeating conventional folly they've read online.

Mincer gets it right, I think. I have a couple of poplar guitars, and they sound slightly more focused around the mid frequencies than my alder guitar, and other alder guitars I've tried. Effects will vary between pieces of wood, though, so I would not be surprised if one could find one guitar of each wood where one would be fooled by conventional wisdom if one compared them. Poplar can also, as already stated, be a rather soft wood, and the finishes on mine have been somewhat frail, but it can also be slightly heavier than alder, but not so much that it should cause concern.

Comment

Don't think I've every owned an all poplar guitar. Got a Godin "strat" that has a maple body with polar wings. Not much of a strat gut but I like the Godin. Maple body and neck (rosewood board), I guess it would be expected to be bright but it's really not. It is fairly heavy though.

Comment

Obviously one is more poplar than the other.
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                    X