Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PJ Marx Brad Gillis Humbucker

Default PJ Marx Brad Gillis Humbucker

I just got a PJ Marx Brad Gillis Model Humbucker. I was wanting to know if anyone here ever had one or ever used one?
    Last edited by Marshall SL-X Crunch; 03-25-2006 at 10:22 PM.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Re: PJ Marx Brad Gillis Humbucker

Where!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    How?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    When?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Pics?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If I were to go strat - Gilli's strat/tone are one of my faves!

I attached pics to this reply.

They are indeed of a different nature as far as looks. Each one I have seen looks different with splattered paint or wax. This red pickup has black splatter markings, one coil is 5.1k and the other is 7.8k, total using both is 12.9k. The other pickup is different colors just dumped on it and has the PJ Marx logo on it. Both are Brad Gillis models.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Looks neat. From the DC resistence and the mismatched coils I would say it is close to the hybrid
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

I have never tried a Hybrid pickup.

I guess I don't know what to expect. I use a Duncan 59 at the bridge, it's a nice tone with the Marshall and I have gotten used to it over the years, maybe it is time to listen to other pickups? I wouldn't mind something with just a bit more edge.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Reckless Abandon's Avatar

by the way welcome to the forum
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Digitally Challenged Mr 9finger's Avatar

Rumor has it that Bill Lawrence designed and made all of the PJ Marx pickups. I have no proof of this, just what I hear.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

wow, those look cool, never heard of them before but i'd love to give one a shot just to try something new.

-Mike

The ones I've seen (not BG models) have had insanely strong magnets. Don't get too close to the refridgerator while playing or "BONK!"

I don't know if the BG is like that, but he showed me his main guitar once (some strat) and he had sanded the top of the pickup off in an attempt to get his pickup to "go to eleven" and I think I remember two big bar magnets. Maybe they were skinny bars like a Bill Lawrence, but I think they were big bars like the X2N. It was over 10 years ago.

Hows it sound?

It's different than a 59 Duncan! wow!! I jacked up the pre and the gain just a bit on the Marshall and she growled with color and crunch, It has a nice tone, It feels like I could tap anywhere on the neck and hit a harmonic.
    You can Still Rock In America!

SWEET,
    I have 2 BG models and the Jeff Watson Bridge w/ 2 Single coils! I'm going to drop the BG model into a 1990 Robin Medley I picked up to pair with the PJ Marx Quad that came in the Neck position of the Medley. Thanks for posting your pix, I was going crazy trying to figure out the wiring color codes! now the mystery is solved!

Mojo's Minions

Brad Gillis has been using the Duncan JB as the bridge pup in his main red Strat for quite a few years now.

from his mouth to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    Brad Gillis has been using the Duncan JB as the bridge pup in his main red Strat for quite a few years now.

from his mouth to my ears.
    Can't diss a JB bridge! Still love to tone of these old PJ Marx BG pups. Got my first one back in 87' from Larry Brooks he was still repairing and building guitars in Denver, back before going to start the Fender Custom Shop.

Thumbs up Re: PJ Marx Brad Gillis Humbucker

Have a Jeff watson myself in a 81 RR V bridge with an older jackson sounds tasty my dad put it in years ago he loved randy and all the 80's stuff now hes stuck on Vai Satch and johnson among others including himself lol

Rumor has it that Bill Lawrence designed and made all of the PJ Marx pickups. I have no proof of this, just what I hear.
    Have to resurrect this ancient thread to correct you, man.

No, Bill Lawrence did NOT design and make them. PJ Marx made them. I was a dealer back in the 80's, and they sold very well. The Brad Gillis was a great seller, and my favorite of the humbuckers. By the way, PJ is still around - playing with guns and making high performance ammunition.

Still going strong.

The pj marx 212 does so many things so well.........even in a plywood kramer plugged into a bass amp.
    I'm wondering if that became the jeff watson pickup.

It's probably their lowest resistence pickup at 3.87 resistence on one coil and 3.94 on the other for 7.8k in humbucker mode.
    Very "chimey" and clean in single coil mode.

I'm really asking a lot out of that poor tweeter and it looks like the fretboard needs oiling and yes, the pickup is centered under the strings. (picture at angle)
    Many kramers with a slanted pickup don't have the pickup centered and I had to move the pickup ring about 3/32 to get it centered.

I do use modeling in the effects loop or the hotone heart attack into the effects return.

Last edited by Howlermonkey; 03-28-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Still a very cool instrument.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Have to resurrect this ancient thread to correct you, man.

No, Bill Lawrence did NOT design and make them. PJ Marx made them. I was a dealer back in the 80's, and they sold very well. The Brad Gillis was a great seller, and my favorite of the humbuckers. By the way, PJ is still around - playing with guns and making high performance ammunition.
    Yep, that matches what is said in the news article that IDsnowDog shared to the group a couple years back: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ups-to-bullets

The following isn't the Brad Gillis model, but it is an example of PJ Marx's formerly large impact in the rock-metal world, coincidentally featured in some wall art in my home studio. This photo is from around the time of the "Them" album - very thrashy tones on that album.

Another interesting thing in this photo is - judging by the unusual closeness of the two humbuckers in that guitar - that that B.C. Rich superstrat seems to have a 24.75" scale neck.

Name:  PicsArt_03-28-05.11.31.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  66.3 KB
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-28-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
    The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    I've been slammed here a few times myself for not going with the crowd. I'd rather go in a different direction, and know why, then follow everyone else and not know why.

Yeah, could be a 2 octave neck, too.

Didn't know the whole lawsuit thing about PJ and the gubmint. That sucks for him. Didn't spend much time talking to him except briefly at NAMM shows back in the 80's, but he seemed like a cool cat. Chandler Guitars was the distributor for his pickups, and my rep was pals with PJ. Mark said PJ was an ass-kicker in the shop, really knew his stuff.

His pickups are still pretty collectable. A cat in Japan pays good money for them, sold the last pair I had to him. They turn up online every once in awhile, or a guitar will show up loaded with one. I personally loved the Brad Gillis for it's thick chewy tones, and the 410 (or was it 412?) model. PJ stuff honked, even the single coils.