PJ Marx Brad Gillis Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PJ Marx Brad Gillis Humbucker

Rumor has it that Bill Lawrence designed and made all of the PJ Marx pickups. I have no proof of this, just what I hear.
    Have to resurrect this ancient thread to correct you, man.

No, Bill Lawrence did NOT design and make them. PJ Marx made them. I was a dealer back in the 80's, and they sold very well. The Brad Gillis was a great seller, and my favorite of the humbuckers. By the way, PJ is still around - playing with guns and making high performance ammunition.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Still going strong.

The pj marx 212 does so many things so well.........even in a plywood kramer plugged into a bass amp.
      I'm wondering if that became the jeff watson pickup.

It's probably their lowest resistence pickup at 3.87 resistence on one coil and 3.94 on the other for 7.8k in humbucker mode.
      Very "chimey" and clean in single coil mode.

I'm really asking a lot out of that poor tweeter and it looks like the fretboard needs oiling and yes, the pickup is centered under the strings. (picture at angle)
      Many kramers with a slanted pickup don't have the pickup centered and I had to move the pickup ring about 3/32 to get it centered.

I do use modeling in the effects loop or the hotone heart attack into the effects return.

Last edited by Howlermonkey; 03-28-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Still a very cool instrument.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Have to resurrect this ancient thread to correct you, man.

No, Bill Lawrence did NOT design and make them. PJ Marx made them. I was a dealer back in the 80's, and they sold very well. The Brad Gillis was a great seller, and my favorite of the humbuckers. By the way, PJ is still around - playing with guns and making high performance ammunition.
          Yep, that matches what is said in the news article that IDsnowDog shared to the group a couple years back: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ups-to-bullets

The following isn't the Brad Gillis model, but it is an example of PJ Marx's formerly large impact in the rock-metal world, coincidentally featured in some wall art in my home studio. This photo is from around the time of the "Them" album - very thrashy tones on that album.

Another interesting thing in this photo is - judging by the unusual closeness of the two humbuckers in that guitar - that that B.C. Rich superstrat seems to have a 24.75" scale neck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_03-28-05.11.31.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	5818564
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-28-2020, 04:05 PM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Yeah, could be a 2 octave neck, too.

Didn't know the whole lawsuit thing about PJ and the gubmint. That sucks for him. Didn't spend much time talking to him except briefly at NAMM shows back in the 80's, but he seemed like a cool cat. Chandler Guitars was the distributor for his pickups, and my rep was pals with PJ. Mark said PJ was an ass-kicker in the shop, really knew his stuff.

His pickups are still pretty collectable. A cat in Japan pays good money for them, sold the last pair I had to him. They turn up online every once in awhile, or a guitar will show up loaded with one. I personally loved the Brad Gillis for it's thick chewy tones, and the 410 (or was it 412?) model. PJ stuff honked, even the single coils.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              Yep, that matches what is said in the news article that IDsnowDog shared to the group a couple years back: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ups-to-bullets

The following isn't the Brad Gillis model, but it is an example of PJ Marx's formerly large impact in the rock-metal world, coincidentally featured in some wall art in my home studio. This photo is from around the time of the "Them" album - very thrashy tones on that album.

Another interesting thing in this photo is - judging by the unusual closeness of the two humbuckers in that guitar - that that B.C. Rich superstrat seems to have a 24.75" scale neck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103908[/ATTACH]
              YES! Andy LaRocque and Pete Blakk both used PJ Marx pickups on "Them" and "Conspiracy" in their BC riches. Great lead tones for sure! Overall guitar tone on "Conspiracy" was great.
              Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Sold my Brad Gillis pickup on this forum in Oct 2013. The buyer still has zero posts (he signed up just to pm me about the pickup). It came in a Fender HM Strat with the wiring all F'd up so I never heard how it "would have" sounded. I asked him to report back how he liked it but I never heard back from him.

Comment

Gillis uses JB's these days.

I was recently surfing for Fernandes Gillis guitars on reverb...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                  X