Humbucker still hums????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker still hums????????

Can anyone suggest some sort of additional grounding tip for humbucker hum or noise. I get a bit too much when my guitar volume is maxed. I back off to about 8 and it's gone.

Re: Humbucker still hums????????

All wired up correctly??
    PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
    DAW: Nuendo
    Noise: 5150
    Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

Originally posted by Kev
      All wired up correctly??

Absolutly. Nice solder job as well.

Comment

I'm assuming we're talking about the Strat in your avatar here. Is the cavity shielded? What about the back of the pickguard? Are you playing near a TV or computer monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
          I'm assuming we're talking about the Strat in your avatar here. Is the cavity shielded? What about the back of the pickguard? Are you playing near a TV or computer monitor?

Cavity is not shielded, but another strat I have setup the same way has no hum. Back of the guard is shielded tv and computer are 2 rooms away.

Comment

Originally posted by madaxeman
            Cavity is not shielded, but another strat I have setup the same way has no hum. Back of the guard is shielded tv and computer are 2 rooms away.
            What's different about the other guitar? Pickup? Wire? Brand of pot/jack?

I'd shield the cavity. It'll help. You may not be able to completely eliminate it but it will be less than it is.

Comment

I'd shield the cavity. It'll help. You may not be able to completely eliminate it but it will be less than it is.

Everything is Identical.

Comment

Everything is Identical.
                Absolutely everything? Hmm.

I'd still shield it, maybe even reflow the solder joints for good measure. The hum you're hearing is most likely outside interference.

Comment

Just because appliances are two rooms away doenst mean they wont interfere.
                  My Soundclick page.

Comment

toasted pot?
                    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Is that shielding paint any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
                        Just because appliances are two rooms away doenst mean they wont interfere.

But, If that's the case, How come not hum from my other guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                          toasted pot?
                          Pot is new, CTS 500k - Possibly a defect.

Comment

Is that shielding paint any good?
                            Don't know. Never used it myself. I've been going the cheap route - the thicker aluminum foil and 3M spray adhesive. It can be a ***** getting it all formed but once it's done, it's done.

Comment

Don't know. Never used it myself. I've been going the cheap route - the thicker aluminum foil and 3M spray adhesive. It can be a ***** getting it all formed but once it's done, it's done.

Bro I just may try it. Sounds good cheap but effective. Are you talking about the heavy foil like reastraunts use?

Comment

Working...
                              X