Carl Martin Plexitone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Martin Plexitone

I'd like to get a few comments and/or opinions from users on the Carl Martin Plexitone effects pedal. I read a little about it here in the forum, but would like to know what you use it with and what kind of sound do you hear out of it with your respective gear?

Thanks!

....Bob

Re: Carl Martin Plexitone

I've never tried one myself, but have been told they were designed to work with British voiced amps like Marshalls and Hiwatts. I've read of people trying them thru Fenders with not so good results. The fellow who designed them (Rid) is a forum member here and hopefully he or someone with some first hand experience will chime in.

Comment

Did a search under "Plexitone" Bobby...Hope this link works for ya?
      Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 04-20-2006, 03:10 AM.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hmm, I just got to wondering how the Plexitone would sound thru my Peavey Classic 30? It's definatley a darker more mid-rangey amp then my DRRI. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
          Hmm, I just got to wondering how the Plexitone would sound thru my Peavey Classic 30? It's definatley a darker more mid-rangey amp then my DRRI. Any thoughts?
          Hard to say? I bought mine from Musician's Friend and they have a try and return policy if you don't like it...I Love mine though..

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Fender Classic Player '50s Stratocaster Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...
          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 04-20-2006, 04:34 AM.
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            Hard to say? I bought mine from Musician's Friend and they have a try and return policy if you don't like it...I Love mine though..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...cts?sku=153122
            Thanks, John. Maybe I'll take the big chance and try one. I have a DSL 50 and I love it, but I'd still like the find the right pedal for my DRRI and for my C30.

Comment

Thanks, John. Maybe I'll take the big chance and try one. I have a DSL 50 and I love it, but I'd still like the find the right pedal for my DRRI and for my C30.
              If I wasn't so in need of and in love with mine,I'd send it to ya and let you listen and see what ya think? It's one of the most "Marshally" type pedal I've used and I prefer the "Crunch" side and the "boost" function on mine..

Another pedal that looks worth checking into,is the new ToneBone "Plexitube" that has a 12AX7 within...Looks like a Plexitone copy but with a Tube and more functions..

Comment

Most "amp-like" pedal I've ever tried. Rid is a genious

For gigging/stage volumes, It def works better with a british voiced amp (your Peavey should be decent enough I'd think). However for home practice, I think it works just fine with fender voiced stuff. I ran mine through my old Rivera Chubster and for late night at home, it killed through the tweed and blackface modes on the clean channel cos they are bassier and it sounded more like a "mini0stack" But with some volume, it did not sound right, not enough mids and too much low end. At higher volumes I used the Marshall type channel set clean and it worked great.

It's amazing how tube like (that warm fizzy top) and responsive/dynamic it is...the voicing is RIGHT ON for an old Plexi. And it's really easy to dial in...it sounds good pretty much however you set the controls..you cannot get a BAD sound out of it I don't think. The crunch and boost modes like John mentioned are the best tones in the box.

I sold mine cos ultimately I'm not a "plexi" Marshall guy at least for most of my playing..I prefer the sound of later crunchier Marshalls, but man what a sweet pedal. I have some clips of mine, but they don't really do the pedal justice cos my recording setup (and playing) is minimalistic.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Thanks for the input, John and Jeff. I'm just about in the same boat as Mike M. with my DSL 50 and DRRI (quite a coincidence). I love my tubescreamers and will always use 'em, but it'd be nice at times to have something different to experiment with or to get a specific sound.
                  How about noise, John? Is this pedal quiet? I liked what I heard from the clips at M's-F, especially the crunch and plexitone selections. Here's the link to that webpage: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...cts?sku=153122
                  Do any of these clips sound like the real deal to you through your Marshall or Fender amps, John? Did you try any of the other CM distortion pedals before deciding on the Plexi?
                  Maybe I should just send the box with all my dist. pedals that haven't been unpacked since last August, when I moved into my house (MXR Dist.+, RAT, etc.), over your way and see if anything in that bunch could be tweaked for better tone?
                  I must admit from what I've read and heard that it sounds like the Plexi pretty much covers a nice spectrum of distortion that would mix well with modulation-type effects like echo and probably phase.

....Bob

Comment

I'll just wait until Mike buys one and posts his reviews....lol

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
                      I'll just wait until Mike buys one and posts his reviews....lol
                      Bobby...I'm on my way out the door for a class needed for my job...Anyway...Also be sure to check out the Fulltone OCD pedal and listen to the clips at www.fulltone.com

This is another pedal that I've got my eyes on...Pricey like the Plexitone but listen to the tones of this one and you'll also see why I've got my eyes on it...

Comment

Or get a MI audio crunchbox
                        I do not like any of Mike's dirt boxes...not dissing his stuff, but it is not my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                          Or get a MI audio crunchbox
                          I do not like any of Mike's dirt boxes...not dissing his stuff, but it is not my thing.
                          My buddy Steve has an OCD and it's pretty cool....Alot of guys like this pedal....Not sure I'd need it though since I really feel the Plexitone covers everything I need in a British Marshall type tone....

Tell me more about the CM Vox style pedal? Better yet,those clips again RID?

Comment

Yeah and alot of guys also like tubescreamers
                            I don't...hehe but it is not the same as thinking it is a bad pedal, it is not, but it is just not something I like
                            The new one is also a dualdrive, this time they are not different from each other, based on FET's instead of diodes, it is a warmer more polite pedal, plenty of that typical Voxy midrange thing, and can be set for more open or blanket over your speakers sound.
                            Works good with alot of different amps, and it can still make that big ole Hiwatt sing, it has also been roadtested by a everyday Vox player, and he was most pleased with it, I just made a refined version of it for the final product, his had two different settings, but one was very jangly and the other sounded more like Brian May, so went for something inbetween
                            Now it can both get that chime and the more fat od of an overdriven AC-30.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                              If I wasn't so in need of and in love with mine,I'd send it to ya and let you listen and see what ya think? It's one of the most "Marshally" type pedal I've used and I prefer the "Crunch" side and the "boost" function on mine..

Another pedal that looks worth checking into,is the new ToneBone "Plexitube" that has a 12AX7 within...Looks like a Plexitone copy but with a Tube and more functions..

That's most generous of you John. But I understand not wanting to part with a favorite piece of gear for too long. I think I'm going to call some local music stores this weekend and see if they have any in stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X