Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >4 conductor pickups

Any point in it?

Artie.. is this feasible to use for more than just coil splitting or is it a half cocked idea that'll never take off?

Any other experts?

Re: >4 conductor pickups

What exactly would you be trying to accomplish with more than 4 conductors? Or is the ">" not quite reading as you intended?

You can use 4 conductors wire split coils, for phase switching, series/parallel wiring... there are lots of reasons to use 4 conductor wiring on a humbucker. The only reason I would see for adding any leads at all would be to tap the coils of a hotter bucker.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

mike has it nailed - the only thing that extra wires could be used for is to tap coils ... i think this is exactly what PRS does on the 513 pickups ...

t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Ic..

How about splits and phase?

Comment

What about them? Both are easily accomplished with 4 conductor wiring. You can even do both on the same pickup (but not at the same time).
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

O.K. on a humbucker, a little'59 , what is the best set up for a Tele esquire with a 3 way switch, including any advice on caps and pots (550 vs 250)? Looking for tone!

Comment

I could reasonably see a 6 conductor HB, for all the normal options in high output and "regular" ouput. (Full HB, tapped HB, full parallel, tapped parallel, split, tapped split, etc.) I think the Custom Shop could wind you something if you really wanted it.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think Dave, (Zhangliqun), built one of these, but I can't remember reading a review to know how they sounded. I've always wondered how it would sound to build an SH-33. That would be a Stag Mag (SH-3) built from two SSL-3's tapped for a total DCR of around 33k.

Comment

I never made a 6-conductor pu, but I did make a bridge with a tapped coil so you could switch from 8.5k to 6.5k (full vs. slug coil + half the screw coil) for a guy so he could have something closer to a Strat-ish single coil sound instead of a wimpy 4k pickup. I just used 3 conductors + bare wire.
                  Generic signature line.

Comment

AH, yes. Thats what it was. How did it sound?

Comment

PM me on that. Out of respect to the host, I want to avoid talking about anything I've made in here beyond just basic neutral concepts.
                      Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
                      X