Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wish me luck...

Originally posted by ErikH
    Sounds to me like all the people over there in your shoes with the same view needs to get together and contact Gibson about this. Companies like that shouldn't be allowed to maintain their distribution rights.
    Getting anybody to get off their arses and ACT in the UK is a major problem.

They've just announced that there will be water rationing in parts of the UK this summer due to an anticipated "drought".

Now let's see; drought is what you have in the Sudan; Britain is an island with the highest average rainfall in Europe and where no inland point is further than 80 miles from the sea.

Don't the people who run the water companies ever think about how ridiculous they sound.

Everybody just seems to be accepting this...

Apathy is the British disease.
    www.facebook.com/elthamjones
    http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk

"I'm not crazy; my mother had me tested"

Comment

After all the time in Slough with GE, I said the following thing when asked by my manager how it was:

"I think the Brits are the only ones that could lose a war due to apathy."

I know EXACTLY what you mean, OD
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

In many ways it's quite an endearing characteristic; we wait with Zen like calm in queues of such length that in Italy it would cause rioting.

"how are you?" people ask us

"oh, mustn't grumble..."

Just once, JUST ONCE i wish someone in the UK would grumble when it is suggested that we need water friggin' rationing!

*note to self; must stay clear of politics...and don't mention the war! (that's a Fawlty Towers reference for al you non-brits)

Comment

Eltham mon ami, good luck. Whether you need it or not. But part of me died a little. Those seem like crazy stories man...

Eh listen, I'm studying operations management. When I finish uni, I could start up a guitar imports company specializing in brand parts, and get them quicker?

Comment

Gahhhh ... that neck break turned my stomach! I'm really curious about how you would fix that, so please post more pics if it's not too much trouble.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I would probably look for a replacement neck. Every once in a while you see a set neck sans body. I had an Ibanez that had a hairline crack on the right hand side tuners and that thing NEVER stayed in tune. I couldn't budge the crack but still it never stayed in tune

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                Eltham mon ami, good luck. Whether you need it or not. But part of me died a little. Those seem like crazy stories man...

Eh listen, I'm studying operations management. When I finish uni, I could start up a guitar imports company specializing in brand parts, and get them quicker?
                That sounds like a good idea.

Let me know if you need a guitar tech; I'm not sure how long I can keep this pace up...

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing
                  Gahhhh ... that neck break turned my stomach! I'm really curious about how you would fix that, so please post more pics if it's not too much trouble.
                  You're curious?

At the moment so am I!

Like I say, having had a look at it I'm hoping for this (I always wanted to use that smiley!)

I used the planned technique on an Ibanez Artwood last week and it worked very well.

It's the refinishing is the hard part, it's a long job to do it right and what i'm hoping to do is a kind of chronicle showing the stages that you go through and the perils and pitfalls.

What I can't show is the elbow grease that goes on between photos.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog
                    I would probably look for a replacement neck. Every once in a while you see a set neck sans body. I had an Ibanez that had a hairline crack on the right hand side tuners and that thing NEVER stayed in tune. I couldn't budge the crack but still it never stayed in tune

yeah, but that's not really a viable option in this case.

I've been slowly building a replacement neck for the ex-60ft Dolls guitar for the last 7 years (Gibson wanted about $1500 for an unfinished one) but i just don't get time to work on it with all the routine repairs I have to do...

Comment

What the heck happened that caused that!? Did the guy start pulling a Jimi Hendrix and then realize the stupidity of what he was doing and stop? I mean how the heck does a break that bad just happen except for plain mistreatment of a guitar? Also, wouldn't it be better off just to buy a new one? I mean that thing will never play the same again, right?
                      Jesus Christ is my everything. My hope is in Him.

Comment

Er, i'm reluctant to disclose my client's personal information but as he has taken me to task for giving him only second place in the ranking of evil-guitar -decapitators I will say that it was described to me as a "fit of temperament in the studio"

A Telecaster and Apple G4 Powerbook suffered collateral damage...

Comment

Originally posted by Bellski777
                          I mean that thing will never play the same again, right?
                          Hmm, we'll see about that...

Comment

Lol sounds that guy needs to buy a squier if he has that much anger in studio! Though that is funny I must admit. Too bad the powerbook and Tele had to suffer from his temper tantrum, too. That is pretty rad if you can fix a guit that trashed back to original condition. I always thought stuff like that was destined for the garbage heap or suckers on ebay.
                            Jesus Christ is my everything. My hope is in Him.

Comment

OK, here's the progress so far:

A pair of screws hold the joint together and prevent it from slipping out of register

The surfaces are prepared by brushing lightly with water; this provides a pathway for the glue to travel into the wood fibres and prevents premature dehydration, the most common cause of a failed joint.

One caul is faced with aluminium foil to prevent it from sticking

The other has a leather pad to cushion it and spread the load evenly

Glue is applied liberally to both surfaces and worked in with a brush

Comment

The screws are tightened to close the joint and the excess squeeze is cleaned up

Then the clamp is applied

With the clamp off, we can see how much is missing from the joint, yet it is holding together well.

Looks messy doesn't it? Trust me, it gets better

Comment

Working...
                                X