Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me: Single coils or humbuckers?

AHHHHHHH!

It's killing me. I always liked humbuckers, in fact I have the Custom SH-5 loaded in my guitar (an ESP Explorer that I like less each day, which doesnt suit my style or playing, and is a crappy guitar in general). I like the pickup, but I question whether it is "right" or the "correct" one for me if that makes sense. But the thing is, day by day, I'm developing an increasing lust for blues. Not just traditional tones, but also modern and even Slash style bluesy licks and tones (hard rock blues) Anyways, I think I might go ahead and get a Marshall DSL, but what guitar im going to get in place of the guitar i have now (which is basically a relic from when I played lots of metal....which would be only several months ago ) Even when I played metal i could only do the rhythms, i would always go into a bluesy solo when i tried... I never liked or wanted to PLAY metal solos, just bluesy influenced licks... I thought metal was gonna be my thing especially after i joined a metal band a while ago as rhythm and vocals (though i couldn't sing metal stuff) But then i was kicked out. From then on i was sure blues was my thing, all of it.

So here is my problem. I need an all around blues pickup. Something that has good cleans with that bluesy feel, but i can turn my preamp up and start cookin. I want a more singing tone, cuz sometihng like EMG 81s or pickups of similar output just "get my outta that blues mode" when I play. i dont want it to be too much, but enough.

Gimme some clips of pickups u think would suit me, clean and overdriven. I want to know whether I should get a single coil guitar or humbucking, or both... I dont care, i have a job and make money to buy all the crap i want (haha yay! )

So what do you think??? Can you help me out???

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by stevie ray; 06-08-2004, 08:09 PM.
    <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
    Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
    Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Re: Help me: Single coils or humbuckers?

you could get a guitar with a humbucker in bridge and 2 single coils in middle and neck...... then you could put an APH2 humbucker in the bridge for singing slash type leads (he uses one himself), and through the DSL, those singing lead tones will easily be found...... and then maybe a vintage single coil SSL1 in the middle for bright snappy jangly tones and a APS single coil in the neck for warm smooth silky clear tones in the neck

APH - SSL1-APS1...... that seems like a cool combo to me, and the humbucker is not high output, so it will balance well with the single coils.......you could also swap the single coil positions...... if you want a neck tone that has more bottom end and snap, you could put the SSL1 in there and switch the APS1 so the middle position is warmed up a bit
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Re: Help me: Single coils or humbuckers?

hey dude thanks! any more?

I'm not lookin to nail slash's or anyones tone, just lookin for suggestions based on what i put there

Slashs is nice, but i think mine might have more mids i dont know im stupid
      Last edited by stevie ray; 06-08-2004, 11:32 PM.
      <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
      Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
      Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Comment

Working...
      X