Mesa 20/20 vs 50/50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20/20 vs 50/50

I've been looking at some preamp/poweramp setups lately, and have primarily been looking at Mesa poweramps. I know powerwise I could get by with 20 watts a side easily, but is there any disadvantage to the EL84's as opposed to the 6L6's in the 50/50 amp.

Thanks.

Re: Mesa 20/20 vs 50/50

I had a 50/50 (wish I still had it) and it was a great amp. The 6L6s are nice and clean, and sound nice when overdriven. Alot of the tone depends on what you're using for a preamp, so I won't really comment much on that side of it.

The other nice thing about the 50/50 is the 15w low power switch. Having 50w/15w modes offers alot of versitility sound and volume wise (the newer 2:50 doesn't have that option).
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Well for a preamp I had originally been looking at a PODXT or something but the Engl Tube Tone or 530 preamp has really caught my eye. Then, budget allowing, toss an effects unit in there somewhere (G-major or line6 racks?)

Comment

It has been awhile since I played with them, but I recall the 50/50 have a bigger, bassier, cleaner sound. I really preferred the tone of the 50/50 at the same volume. That said, the 20/20 is a great amp and the right amount of power for most situations.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939
          Well for a preamp I had originally been looking at a PODXT or something but the Engl Tube Tone or 530 preamp has really caught my eye. Then, budget allowing, toss an effects unit in there somewhere (G-major or line6 racks?)
          I believe that most if not all ENGL gear are build and tested around 6L6 based poweramps.. So if you decide to go with the ENGL E530 preamp, then it should sound good.

Also, its probebly a good idea to with the 50/50 so you have the little just wattage/power if needed.

good luck,
          Duke
          www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

hey guys
            ive got a 50/50 and ive had it for about 2 yrs

it really adds that tube warmth to your tone - ive played it with just a ts9 in front of it and it sounds great
            but its a bit sharp sounding for my liking, and a bit glassy
            but if ur into that kina 6l6 glassy sound, its the poweramp for u
            ive got some old clips of it with my pod being used as a preamp
            if u want a song or 2, just pm me

Ishan
            Guitars:
            Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
            Amps:
            Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939
              I assume you're talking about the PODxt Pro?

I've heard some good stuff made with a POD into a Mesa power amp. The tube power amp really fills in the gaps left by the digital preamps sampling rate, plus the cleaner 6L6 tubes work well with the preamp models.

Line6 racks are nice, but you can only use one effect at a time (so if you want phase and chorus both at once, you'd need two Mod Pros). G-Majors are great, and good value.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
              X