Invader vs Super Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader vs Super Distortion

Don't give me any apples and oranges crap, I need a comparision.

Anyway, Invader vs Super Distortion in a Les Paul that's flogging an Orange (or Hiwatt, or Plexi, ect) that's running wide open (no preamp dirt, all poweramp overdrive)....thoughts? Comparisons?
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: Invader vs Super Distortion

I've never tried the Invader, but I have an old Super D that's great for the situation you're proposing.

It's big, thick, and punchy without ever getting shrill. In fact, it seems to my ear that its almost like you're running a graphic EQ with all frequencies above 10k attenuated in comparison to the lows and mids.

It has really cool grind and thud through a Marshall without getting too muddy.

It wouldn't be my first pick for speed metal riffs, but its great for hard rock, blues, and stoner rock.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I am a real Seymour fan as opposed to Dimarzio, and i am not knocking the invader because i love it, but i am thinking an Invader in a les paul might be a touch muddy. I don't know if you have the option, but i hear the Duncan Distortion turns a LP into a monster. But i am going to quit talking before i get myself into trouble, that is just my two cents.
      Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
      Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
      Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
      Boss SD-1
      Digitech Bad Monkey
      Vox V-847 wah

Comment

The Invader is gonna hit the amp a hell of a lot harder. The harmonics from it are just crazy, and it actually has a cool clean. The Super D is a badass pickup, too, but way less "extreme".

Another +1 for the Invader is the fact that most people on here dislike them, so they can be had very cheap.

Since you're not scared of DiMarzios, have you tried the Air Zone?
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Since you're not scared of DiMarzios, have you tried the Air Zone?
          No. Their tone selector kept recommending the Air Norton, but I don't know much about it.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

My advice would be to get the Invader, and then if it's a little too dark you can replace the oversized panhead pole pieces with Dimarzio Super Distortion style threaded poles. They're the same threads, and there have been posts about it so you can search here and find sources, etc.

The Invader makes a great "Super D" style pickup when it has those kind of poles, but it will be a little more "excited" sounding than the Super D. The Super D is thick and hard. The modded Invader will have more clarity and harmonics than the Super D. So this way, you can buy one pickup and still keep two viable options intact.

Comment

I have an Air Norton (neck) and a Super Distortion (bridge) in my guitar. Single coil split option.

The Air Norton -- clean: very 3-D, heavy on the bass response. Distorted leads are smooth and sing. Distorted rhythm, a little too thick for my taste.

The Super Distortion -- cleans are twangy and sharp. I expected the bass response to be more than the Air Norty, but it wasn't. Seems to be less bass -- but maybe it's just a tighter bass response. Anyway, distorted leads cut nicely. Distorted rhythms are punchy and tight.

Anyway, that's my take on them. Btw, if you have coil splitting they both sound great split.

Comment

Haven't used either the Super D or the Invader, but the Air Norton sure is one killer pup(i've tryed both the six and sevenstring version). In the bridge it should turn out to be about medium output. Pretty fat, very singing but still also very articualte(it's articulate in the neck of my seven, even on the low b so it should be even more when used in the bridge of a regular six string). Great pup for sure, and since you let your amp do most of the work you might like it. Great cleans btw.
                The dimarzio selector is actually pretty accurate and picks out very fitting options
                - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
                - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
                - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
                - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
                - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
                - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
                - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
                - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
                -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Comment

Do you like Helmet? The Air Zone's got a lot of that Page Hamilton-ness to it. Really thick, and still clear with tons of gain.

I've got one in my Kramer Focus, and with the pickup slanted, it sounds exactly like a Telecaster in the split mode, too. It's the first pickup I've heard with a good split-tone.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                  X