Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Benefits of a 1 meg volume pot?

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    That is a very generalized statement. My Dimebuckers do not sound bright in any way. Not all pickups with sound "bright" with a 1 meg pot.
    Fair enough. A 1 meg pot will make a pickup very bright in comparison to a 500k or 250k pot.

I'm guessing your Dimebuckers are very dark pickups with regular wiring . . . hence why you're using a 1 meg pot with 'em.
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 12-02-2019, 10:46 AM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Fair enough. A 1 meg pot will make a pickups very bright in comparison to a 500k or 250k pot.
      Still off. Some pickups plain old don't have a giant resonant peak in the glass shards range that needs to be dampened for the pickup to function like vintage single coils do. If you let the full signal through on a dark pickup, you get more clarity, but it doesn't become overbearingly bright.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 12-02-2019, 10:50 AM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        Still off. Some pickups plain old don't have a giant resonant peak in the glass shards range that needs to be dampened to function like vintage single coils do. If you let the full signal through on a dark pickup, you get more clarity, but it doesn't become overbearingly bright.
        I like a 1 meg volume pot with a Tone Zone because it makes the Tone Zone brighter. Not overbearingly bright, but a lot brighter than the Tone Zone would be with say . . . a 250k pot. If you want to call it 'clarity' instead of brightness, sure . . . whatever.

The way I think of a circuit is that a pickup's maximum brightness is when it's wired directly to the output jack without volume or tone.

When you add in a tone pot (even with the pot on full) you slightly darken that. That's why no-load tone pots are a thing.

When you add in a volume pot, you slightly darken that level of brightness. Using a higher value volume pot will minimize this darkening.

With a pickup you can choose values to tune the pickup for a pleasing output. That's why most people like vintage single coils with 250k volume/tone pots . . . it tames the high end. It's also why high output 'buckers are often wired without a tone knob (or with a no-load tone pot, or with a 1 meg pot) . . . it keeps as much of the high end as the pickup can produce.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Ya I know. I wasn't debating what the most glamorous word for treble is. I was disputing how you said it makes the pickup very bright. Yes, 1 meg is brighter than 250k but will not necessarily make the pickup very bright. I have a 1 meg volume with no tone pot on my JB/Super D w double thick A8 and I still have to dial my amp brighter than neutral.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 12-02-2019, 02:51 PM.
          I bought them for you

Comment

I use 1M pots often.

They give you more of a "direct to jack" sound. They not only prevent as much leakage of high end to ground, but they also load the pickups differently, creating a higher resonant peak. They also give you much more "active-like" control, i.e. a much more usable sweep, instead of all of the usefulness being bunched up near the top for the pot. Go to linear 1M, and you take this to the extreme (in a good way IMO).

If you want to know what it's like to play a 1M linear volume equipped guitar, try a traditional Fender Jazzmaster. The lead circuit volume pot is 1M linear (though the tone control is 1M audio). The idea is that your "home base" knob positions are set with the knobs down a bit. Then you can add treble or remove it. With 250Ks, you are more likely to be running the knobs at 10, and only be able to remove treble, not add it.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

2006? Yikes.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                2006? Yikes.
                Lol... I think this is the first time I didn't notice I was replying to a zombie thread.

That said, I'll still buy it if you happen to still have it lying around
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  Fair enough. A 1 meg pot will make a pickup very bright in comparison to a 500k or 250k pot. I'm guessing your Dimebuckers are very dark pickups with regular wiring . . . hence why you're using a 1 meg pot with 'em.
                  I also have a lot of wire in the guitar. Two coil splits and a phase switch along with the pickup selector.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Lol... I think this is the first time I didn't notice I was replying to a zombie thread.

That said, I'll still buy it if you happen to still have it lying around
                    Hah! I still have it somewhere in the spares box. Used it with a Invader set I used to own. It might come out someday but not now.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Securb, I wonder what audio receiver do you use?.
                      Last edited by parkerss85; 04-01-2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I once bought a used strat where the previous owner put all 1 meg pots in. It was terrible.

Comment

I'd think you'd have to be very specific about the guitar. By the same token, 100k have the same, but opposite effect.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
                            I once bought a used strat where the previous owner put all 1 meg pots in. It was terrible.
                            Did you not use the controls on the guitar, or e.q. your amp for it?

They are designed to give you an excess of everything, so that you have more material to work with. If you aren’t knob fiddling with 1 M pots, you’re missing the point.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
                              I've experienced that lol. I had a 1 meg vol and no load tone with my ssl511 set and it was glass shards. I have a 1 meg vol and no tone in my super strat with hot hbs and it sounds balanced and great. Aggressive but not unbalanced. I'm also loving my 100k vol in my jazz strat. It's always in the jazz zone. Still has sparkle leaving use to bring in the tone if necessary.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                                Did you not use the controls on the guitar, or e.q. your amp for it?

They are designed to give you an excess of everything, so that you have more material to work with. If you aren’t knob fiddling with 1 M pots, you’re missing the point.
                                +1

I use 500k pots with singles specifically for that. I can get sparkling cleans even when rolling back volume for best possible tone for situation. Or switch them series and kick up treble boost for searing leads and everything between.
                                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                                X