Benefits of a 1 meg volume pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits of a 1 meg volume pot?

A friend gave me a new 1 meg CTS pot. He says he doesn't need it. What's good about these? I've mostly read about 250k and 500k around here but nothing else...
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: Benefits of a 1 meg volume pot?

Originally posted by ChileanGuy View Post
    A friend gave me a new 1 meg CTS pot. He says he doesn't need it. What's good about these? I've mostly read about 250k and 500k around here but nothing else...
    VERY open sound
    sounds best with open chords, especially with a p100 or humbucker, it will probably be too much for a single coil though
    Gibson 76' Reissue Explorer
    99' Korina Explorer- GFS modded
    2007 Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe
    TC Electronics D-Two
    TC Electronics G Major
    DMC Ground Control Pro+GCX Audio Switcher
    Boss SD1
    Ibanez TS9
    Monte Allums modded Boss SD1
    MXR Micro Amp

Comment

If you have a really powerfull humbucker and its dark you can use one on the tone to brighten it up and give it a wider fequency range. Although the 50's mod is more usefull. Say you have a 250k tone with a .010 capacitor changing to a 500k pot you will need a .022 capacitor to keep the same frequency range. Too high a value pot with any pickup will make it sound clanky. If a single coil is over 10k you can use a 500k pot for volume since it is likely to be dark enough to use it.

Comment

Uh huh. I can see why my friend didn't use it, then...

Thanks anyway. It will make a good paperholder.

Comment

[QUOTE=idsnowdog;1040782]If you have a really powerfull humbucker and its dark you can use one on the tone to brighten it up and give it a wider fequency range. QUOTE]

+1
          Originally posted by Frankly
          PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
          Originally posted by Diocletian
          Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Jag's have one meg pots

Personally I think they're the secret to the sound.

Just turn down the treble

slade

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Originally posted by danglybanger View Post
              Jag's have one meg pots

Personally I think they're the secret to the sound.

Just turn down the treble

slade
              Different strokes for different folks. I don't like such bright tones. I put my treble low enough already!

Thanks anyway, my friend.

Comment

hm i dig the jangle alot. I may put 500k's in my strat sometime soon. Should one put 500k for tone pot as well, or 250's? I just like a very very open tone.
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

the rhythm circuit for a Jag has a one meg volume and a 50k tone that cuts down on the jangle totally, and makes things completely smooth.

Play around would be my guess. though the 1 meg tone and volume on the lead circuit gives the jangliest tones ever

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                    They work good for a Bass tone pot......As in treble and bass tone controls. A different set up from the standard tone control.

Comment

I have one in my Iceman with the Dimebucker/Jazz combo. I would not call that guitar bright or jangly in any way. Pop it it in and see if you like it.

Comment

wouldn't such a pot b too sensitive as far its range is concerned? I mean more than half of the range would produce no sound. Isn't it an issue?

Comment

I’ll buy it from you. I want a 1M for one of my basses.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

A 1 meg volume pot makes pickups very bright (almost as bright as wiring directly to the jack). If you're a volume on full, tone on full all the time guy you probably won't like it. With most pickups a 1 meg volume pot requires use of the tone knob to make it manageable. Using a 1 meg tone pot is very similar to using a no-load tone pot . . . when it's full up, there's almost no treble lost.

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                            wouldn't such a pot b too sensitive as far its range is concerned? I mean more than half of the range would produce no sound. Isn't it an issue?
                            If it's logarithmic, then the difference between full value and 500k is like 1/10th of the sweep of the pot. You'll receive sound until the very end of the sweep, just like with a regular 500k or 250k pot.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              A 1 meg volume pot makes pickups very bright
                              That is a very generalized statement. My Dimebuckers do not sound bright in any way. Not all pickups with sound "bright" with a 1 meg pot.

Comment

Working...
                              X