old marshall head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old marshall head

i just picked up a cheap marshall head today.i have looked everywhere on the internet and cant find it.it looks like a plexi.but the front panal is black instead of gold colour and on the left side of the panal it has a fuse. the one you screw the plastic cap of and put the fuse in.there is six knobs,a standby switch and an off switch.there is four inputs.its got four el34 valves and three smaller valves covered.i dont know if it is a 1959hw plexi.i read they changed the front panal to gold on that amp.anyone know anything about this head it does not have the white piping going across the middle of the front

thanks peter

Re: old marshall head

How about a pic? That will help a bit. Also, there should be a serial number somewhere on the chassis. AFAIK, Marshall also writes/stamps the date somewhere on the inside of the head chassis. I know my mmid 80's JCM800 has a sticker with the month/date and someone's initials written on it.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

thanks for the reply jeff.i have not got a camera my son wont be back with his for a week or two i took the chassis out and cant find any writing anywhere.the knobs on the front look really old fashoned

thanks peter

Comment

The fuse is on the front???

What type of switches does it have?

what type of pilot light?

what type and size logo?

Is it handwired on is it on a PCB?

All these things will help.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

the fuse is on the front there might be one on the back as well but that one has no writing on it.the standby and the off switch is made of black plastic it is thin and about 1 inch long.the knobs look very old.the pilot light is round and old fashioned looking.the logo is white marshall 23 cm long the m is 7 cm wide.it looks hand wired the lead socket is round with two pins

thanks peter
          Last edited by peter.lenaghan; 10-08-2006, 06:46 PM.

Comment

there is another post the same as this one just come up i dont know what i done .how can i delete the other post

thanks peter

Comment

Im gonna be honest...I ma little stumped on this one, as soon as you can get pics and maybe a serial number post it and I'll see what I can figure out.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

there is no back on the amp.it looks like its missing.maybe there was a serial on ther

peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter.lenaghan View Post
                  there is no back on the amp.it looks like its missing.maybe there was a serial on ther

peter
                  The serial number will be on the chassis somewhere...

Have you pulled the chassis on this amp yet?

Comment

i have taken the chassic out and looked everywhere.the chassis is aluminium.i have just read where they stopped using aluminium and stared using steel chassis in 1967

peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter.lenaghan View Post
                      i have taken the chassic out and looked everywhere.the chassis is aluminium.i have just read where they stopped using aluminium and stared using steel chassis in 1967

peter

Im not sur ewhere you rad that but it is wrong...Marshall still usesd Aluminum chassis, is it handwired PT or is it on a PCB?

Comment

i think the amp is the first one marshall made. there first amp didnt have a model number at first.later they called it jtm45 the pictures of look the same as the one i got with the switches and fuse at the front.maybe they started using aluminium again later

thanks peter

Comment

All Marshall amps have a serial number on them and they have always used aluminum for the chassis...until you pull the chassis, look at the board in side, get the serial number and get a few pics Im afraid I can't help you at all...

Comment

By the way...the first Marshall they ever made is still at Marshall in England and was never mounted in a head cab...

Comment

i am talking about the first marshalls they made. what does it matter what they done with the first one

peter

Comment

Working...
                              X