Correct Wire for Guitar Circuits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Wire for Guitar Circuits?

Maybe one of our electronic gurus here can list proper wire for rewiring a guitar? Guage, type, insulation & shielding (or lack thereof), etc for different locations like switch, ground, jack, etc.

I realize there may be many variables so let's say this is for a Les Paul.

I used to know this and bought a bunch of wire, but now I'm getting low and I can't remember the specs!!!
    Last edited by PoorMan; 10-19-2006, 01:28 PM.
    Originally posted by Frankly
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Originally posted by Diocletian
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Re: Correct Wire for Guitar Circuits?

I have done my share of wirings in guitars and never bought wire.
    I use the wires in old computers and their powers supply, and never got a complain. I use this wire in every component except of course the pick ups.
    Hope I can help you, this wire works great, is very cheap (free?!) and easy to get.
    Father of The Unofficial SDUGF Hot Sauce

Comment

Sure, but I mean what are the "favored" types of wire. (I thought this might be of value, not only to me, but other forum bros as well)
      Originally posted by Frankly
      PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
      Originally posted by Diocletian
      Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

I'm interested in this too. Every time I open up my Les Paul Standard I am shocked to se how thin the wires are. I have been thinking of changing them for heavier guage but if it doesn't make a difference I won't bother.

Comment

Radio Shack carries spools of bulk wire. I like the packs of three spools, one with red insluation, one black, one green. They've got stranded and solid in various sizes available on the web. I think I've got 22AWG stranded wire right now that seems to work fine, but is probably a little thick. I think 26-30AWG solid would be perfect.

Ground wire wouldn't have to be insulated, but it certainly doesn't hurt if it is.
          Last edited by MikeS; 10-19-2006, 01:49 PM.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

my favourite is the cloth push back wire. 22AWG

stewmac carries them.

My Soundclick

Comment

I use the 22AWG stranded wire spools from Radio Shack, the same pack MikeS is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Benye View Post
                my favourite is the cloth push back wire. 22AWG

stewmac carries them.

i like the old schooly vibe (and non melty-ness of the cloth wire too but wonder which wire you experts use to run what
                i.e

1. the hot signal from vol pot to switch to jack (black braided?)
                2. vol pot to tone pot (white?)
                3. grounds (yellow or black?)

I figure you can pretty much get by with whatever as long as everything is connected properly but is there a "standard" color scheme?
                --------------------------------------------------------
                "Have a good time .... all the time. That's my philosophy Marty."
                Viv Savage 1980

Comment

I just use the same scheme as the pickups, i e, black for grounds and white for hot wires. I use push back cloth covered wire -- easier, faster, and nicer looking.
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

Originally posted by pixelpusher View Post
                    i like the old schooly vibe (and non melty-ness of the cloth wire too but wonder which wire you experts use to run what
                    i.e

1. the hot signal from vol pot to switch to jack (black braided?)
                    2. vol pot to tone pot (white?)
                    3. grounds (yellow or black?)

I figure you can pretty much get by with whatever as long as everything is connected properly but is there a "standard" color scheme?
                    yeah like the old skul vibe

- black braided for vol to jack
                    - black cloth for grounds
                    - and variation of white and yellow for hots...

i dont think there's standard color scheme for this,...but using wiring above makes easier for my next generation when they open up the cavity
                    My Soundclick

Comment

Keep in mind that the wire in the pup itself is 42 - 44 awg. You're dealing with about 1-volt and .000000000000000001 amps.

The smallest wire that you can comfortably handle will work great. 22 - 24 is probably ideal.

Comment

muchas gracias for the info.. love this "place" !
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        "Have a good time .... all the time. That's my philosophy Marty."
                        Viv Savage 1980

Comment

Hahaha I am rewiring my Rhoads tomorrow & just spent about 20 mins looking through the vault & using the search... how handy this thread popped up!
                          Danny Jenkins
                          Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
                          motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

The (braided) shielded wire with single conductor is nice but I am concerned that it could short too easily after I've finished "stuffing" it into a 335 copy.

Therefore, I have been looking for small O.D. diameter shielded wire for a while now and finally found some form a local fellow who has a lot of electronics surplus stuff. It is neoprene covered in the usual colours. No idea of the original source.

Couldn't find anything that small from Allied or Mauser.
                            most of there stuff is 1/8 inch or more O.D.

I like to leave a bit of extra wire in this style of guitar for future mods.

Anybody have any other suggestions (re: shielded wire) to share?

PoorMan..not trying to hijack your thread man...just adding to the discussion while the topic is about the choice of wires.

Thanks

Dave
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I got some lake front property in the desert. How much money you got?

Comment

Shielded wire is good to use from the input jack to the volume pot. Ground only one end of the shielded braid. This helps filter out some unwanted noise and sends it right to ground. I've also used shielded wire in a few DIY pedals to help cut down on RF interference along with the usual small cap to ground tricks.

Comment

Working...
                              X