Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference in tone. Matched and mismatched coils?

Unseen

Default Re: Difference in tone. Matched and mismatched coils?

Hmm Joe...depending on what coil is the hottest, I like it when the hottest is closest to the neck, gives me more of that singlecoil clarity.
    I like the clarity, sometimes it almost sounds like two different pickups that are very close to each other, gives that funny krrak attack, they sound more aggressive to me, very lively, oldschool in some funny way?"?!
    It is a subtle effect, but depending on the usual things, it can make a difference that is very tactile, feels like being connected in a different way?!
    Hehe anyways I like the mismatched tone I have gotten from my hybrids, I have a JB/Demon screwcoil with an A2 magnet that will stay as they are, also have a 59b/ Demonhexcoil A5 that also stays like it is, those are my weapons for oldstyle sounds!
    I will get myself some additional strats or alikes for those
    Cool topic!!

Questionologist

Quote Originally Posted by yegbert View Post
    The PG is wired four conductor. If the parts, and the construction and winding method are the same for each coil, except for the possible difference in number of windings; couldn't you measure each coil on an ohmeter and determine if they are balanced?

I have the same question about a Seth Lover, the neck model in particular - is it asymetrically wound? Unfortunately since it's two conductor, my suggestion for the PG wouldn't help answer this for the Seth Lover.
    Yes, you can easily check the DCR on each coil separately with 4-conductor wiring. Put one probe on the red and white wires twisted or soldered together and the other probe on the green and then the black wire to get the two readings.

If I recall correctly, Evan has said that the PG is NOT mismatched. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Evan.) I'm fairly certain that the Seth Lover isn't either.
    Last edited by Zhangliqun; 11-08-2006 at 04:34 PM.
    Generic signature line.

Questionologist

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    It's important to know that mismatched doesn't automatically mean better, just a different sound.
    It's true. Seymour's stuff is proof that you can make great pu's without mismatching the coils.
    Generic signature line.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar

Could you approximate mismatched coils by partially shorting one of the coils using a resistor?

In other words, tie a resistor between the hot output and the series junction between the two coils. Wouldn't that allow some of the signal of the first coil (the one attached to ground) to go directly out, bypassing the second coil?

Just a whacky idea...

Chip

Questionologist

There is a more conventional way of doing that called Spin-A-Split, which is also a LOT more versatile than a fixed resistor. Look for it in the Duncan wiring diagrams.

You solder the series link of the coils to the middle lug of a pot and you use the pot to dial out as little or as much of the 2nd coil as you want. The downside is you have to give up one of your tone or volume pots to become the Spin-A-Split pot.

Dialing the pot back all the way gives you pure single coil model, all the way up gives you the full humbucker. And between 0 and 10, you can get whatever you want from hot single coil to minihumbucker to P90.
    Generic signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    There is a more conventional way of doing that called Spin-A-Split, which is also a LOT more versatile than a fixed resistor. Look for it in the Duncan wiring diagrams.

You solder the series link of the coils to the middle lug of a pot and you use the pot to dial out as little or as much of the 2nd coil as you want. The downside is you have to give up one of your tone or volume pots to become the Spin-A-Split pot.

Dialing the pot back all the way gives you pure single coil model, all the way up gives you the full humbucker. And between 0 and 10, you can get whatever you want from hot single coil to minihumbucker to P90.
    I need to try this sometime. It sounds like a great feature on a HSS strat, especially since I never use the middle tone knob anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Questionologist

I need to try this sometime. It sounds like a great feature on a HSS strat, especially since I never use the middle tone knob anyway.
    Do it. It's a super-easy mod to do and easily reversible. You can also switch the coil that's being dialed out by soldering the green and black wires to the SAS pot middle lug, red to hot, white to ground. (Again, this is for pickups using the Duncan color code.)
    Generic signature line.

WGTP

If you wire a phase reversal switch to the pickup, you can change the coil that stays on back and forth.

Questionologist

Yes, but then you would be out of phase with the other pickups on one of the coils.

You should be able to use a DPDT switch to reverse the order of the coils (e.g., which coil the current goes into first) which would not reverse the phasing at all.
    Generic signature line.

You can do that, or I thought of possibly an even cooler way to do it. You could use a center detent blender pot. If you got one with the right tapers, you could have center humbucker, and -5=Neck side coil, +5=Bridge side coil. I haven't thought it through to completion to know if you could truly end up with 100% humbucker in the center, but I think there's definitely a way. Otherwise you'd just wire a switch that swapped pickup hot and ground on the spin-a-split. That way you'd either be folding one coil into hot or ground, thus alternating between coils.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Everyone else covered it, so I'll just say that the comments about more "air" and more harmonic richness are right on the money. My Predator has a Distortion/59 and a 59/CC in it.

Questionologist

On further review (and a headache to boot), it appears there isn't a way switch the order of the coils on a DPDT and have it working together with an SAS pot. There are too many wire connections to make and break for the DPDT to handle it.
    Generic signature line.

Dean Hardtail Fanologist Jeff_H's Avatar

Dude, I've never like played one with mismatched coils, but my buddy Cooter, he has, and he can rip it up on Free Bird bro. He says mismatched coils, one wound to 9k and the other to 11 with a ceramic mag totally nails the vintage PAF sound. It's true, I heard it thru his Peavy Bandit and Epiphone Genuine Les Paul....it rawks.

WGTP

How about if the switch was between the jack and the rest of the rig. This would change both pickups at the same time, as well as which coil was left on with the SAS?
    Last edited by WGTP; 11-17-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Questionologist

You sure it was 9k + 11k? I don't see how a 20k pickup would nail anything like a PAF tone.
    Generic signature line.

Me'thinks he's being a wiseguy. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
    Dude, I've never like played one with mismatched coils, but my buddy Cooter, he has, and he can rip it up on Free Bird bro. He says mismatched coils, one wound to 9k and the other to 11 with a ceramic mag totally nails the vintage PAF sound. It's true, I heard it thru his Peavy Bandit and Epiphone Genuine Les Paul....it rawks.

In parallel... But in series? haahhaha
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Questionologist

Me'thinks he's being a wiseguy. LOL
    Curses! Fooled again!!!
    Generic signature line.

I did a lot of experiments with two modified DiMarzio PAF (a great start for that). They are now both unbuckers (from fretboard side 4k/3.75k and 5k/4k to bridge side). I mixed the coils, unwound the coils, changed the magnets, flipped the magnets and came almost to the same conclusions as frankalbo and David (alias Zhang). The above combination is now my dream team with a A4 in the neck and a A8 in the bridge. I'm sure i could go up the 9.5 or 10k with the bridge without loosing the PAF due to the mismatch/unbucker construction - still transparent and clear with strong mids.