banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Something That Will Really Stick Rubber To Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Something That Will Really Stick Rubber To Metal?

Guys...The large rubber portion on the bottom of my reissue TS 808 doesn't want to stick tightly to the metal piece below it? What can I use to get the rubber pad to stick onto the metal "for good" ? So far I've tryed my 3M Spray Adhesive 77 but the rubber peice just laughs at it?

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

John,
    I use paint on, not spray, contact cement to glue rubber seals to the doors(steel) of my trailers for distilling spearmint oil. I can't remember the brand, but I will let you know tomorrow as it is in the shop and I'm at home now. But I would think that any good quality contact cement that you could get at a home depot would work. The key is to paint both surfaces, let them dry for a couple of minutes then stick together. I have seals that have been on for years and they are subject to water, steam, mint oil. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by JumpMarine; 03-18-2004, 07:04 PM.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
      John,
      I use paint on, not spray, contact cement to glue rubber seals to the doors(steel) of my trailers for distilling spearmint oil. I can't remember the brand, but I will let you know tomorrow as it is in the shop and I'm at home now. But I would think that any good quality contact cement that you could get at a home depot would work. The key is to paint both surfaces, let them dry for a couple of minutes then stick together. Hope this helps! :afro:
      Thanks buddy...The 3M spray adhesive is a contact cement but I Only applied the adhesive to the rubber pad and not the pedal end? I was also thinking about a decent layer of silicone from a tube? I need to stick velcro onto this pad and as soon as I pull my 808 up off the velcro,up comes the pad from the pedal...I hate that!

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

the best glue ever is gorilla glue. you litterally cant break anything off after using it.
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
          the best glue ever is gorilla glue. you litterally cant break anything off after using it.
          Cool..Gorilla glue huh? Home Depot item?

John

Comment

The silicone idea won't work... tried it. I think J.Marine has the best idea with using the rubber contact cement. Make sure the bonding areas are clean. Use rubbing alcohol to help prep the surface.

Comment

Several years ago, I bought a can of carpet seaming glue
              for about $6. It's like industrial strength rubber cement.

I use it to glue velcro to pedals, or for virtually anything!
              Cheap, and works great! Carpet seaming Glue!
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

let me warn you if you use rubber cement from my experiences in art classes, be outside or have a window open with a fan, it kn****ed me out cold. taht stuff is like lethal
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Or huff it if that's your thing.

Comment

Yep, Gorilla Glue is what you need.

Comment

let me warn you if you use rubber cement from my experiences in art classes, be outside or have a window open with a fan, it kn****ed me out cold. taht stuff is like lethal
                      Thanks for the info everyone.

John

Comment

shoe goo
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Or do like Zakk does and bolt that s#!t down to the board with some screws!

Comment

I'll second that!
                            '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

all ae good ideas except silicone. silicone outgasses acetic acid, which will eat your pedal away.
                              i personally like strength 90 spray contact adhesive for quick and dirty. also, household goop. im telling ya, the stuff is magic.

germ
                              Jeremy Ledford
                              Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                              Tone Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X