Marty Friedman's picking style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marty Friedman's picking style

What advantages are there to this awkward picking style?

Re: Marty Friedman's picking style

Originally posted by taphappy View Post
    What advantages are there to this awkward picking style?
    Nothing.He is the only one who does it!And therefor ,he is an awfull rythm player.Mushy ,undefined ,sloppy....
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

it is odd, isn't it? it looks like it hurts. I would think he'd get muscle fatigue faster by bending his wrist so much.

I guess the advantage is, he has a pretty distinct lead sound. I don't think I could get very close if I tried. I don't think it gives him more speed, but who knows.

I think his magic might be more in his interpretation of scale theory, but he's got some crazy technique too.

But yeah, I'm not too impressed with his rhythms usually. I bet him and Mustaine went round and round when Marty was learning the riffs. Probably didn't play them as tight as Dave would have liked. But I never read that - anyone have any knowledge of that type of thing?

Comment

What's wrong with his picking style? He holds the pick with his thumb and forefinger and bends his wrist to pick a lot . . . which is what I thought lots of people do. Sometimes he's got a weird angle that his wrist is at . . . is that what you're talking about?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thats what I mean. I cant even get my wrist to bend like that.

Comment

i could never fathom how he can pick like that. i know i'd break my wrist if i tried

Comment

Originally posted by taphappy View Post
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAQwDzuhEqU
              Thats what I mean. I cant even get my wrist to bend like that.
              he played a little run just picking upwards, i gotta try that.

Comment

If that's how he started playing, that's probably why he does it, because it's what's comfortable to him. He probably can't fathom how all of us can play the way we do.

Comment

that's from melodic control i think.. the whole video is up at video.google or what's it

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                    that's from melodic control i think.. the whole video is up at video.google or what's it
                    Indeed. I own that video, and when I saw it on Google Video, that annoyed me. At least I got the tabs, though

I don't find it hard to pick like Marty, in terms of bending my wrist, although it would take a little practice to get it right up to snuff. What I don't get is how in the world you're supposed to keep the lower strings from ringing out by doing that. I hit the high e, and if I don't have my palm slightly touching the lower strings, they start making an awful mess of noise under high gain.

Listen to some of Marty's stuff outside the studio and you can actually hear the noise in places.

Marty says he picks that way because he likes the sound of completely unobstructed, unmuted strings ringing out. Also, the position can be beneficial for a lot of upstrokes, which he tends to do.
                    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderVenom View Post
                      Indeed. I own that video, and when I saw it on Google Video, that annoyed me. At least I got the tabs, though
                      tell me about it ... it's good to see what he's talking about and apply that to your playing, but the no tabs part pisses me off lol.... it's the same with every instructional video.. save for gilberts intense rock I, where the tabs get flashed in

Comment

He has the strangest looking picking style I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                          He has the strangest looking picking style I've ever seen.
                          When I first got Melodic Control, and put it on to play, my mother walked through the room, glanced the TV, and said "look at his hand - he picks really strangely".

When your mother thinks it's weird, it really must be
                          Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

He gets his signature pick attack sound that way. Sometimes I find myself using that same wrist position when playing Hangar 18 or other Deth songs, and it does sound closer to him, though it's a pain to control ringing strings!

And yeah, daemon BBQ mentioned something very true: Marty, flat out, sucks as a rhythm player because of his picking technique. I guess Mustaine tolerated it only because Marty's leads are so good!
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Yeah it is a weird picking style. As SpiderVenom said, he explains it in his video why he picks like that.
                              Anyway still pretty amazing that he can pull of those licks (eg. Hangar18, Tornado, etc) at that kinda speeds with that style of picking.

Plus the way his left hand works with bends and vibratos and the scale theory, creates that very unique sound.

Once a Friedman fan. Always a Friedman fan!
                              1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
                              1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
                              Jackson KVX10: X2N
                              1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
                              Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
                              http://fusionken.blogspot.com
                              http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X