Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend good Studio headphones.

My 35 year old Pioneer SE-50 2 way phones died, RIP

But, no time to mourn the losses, need a new set of ´phones. Gotta keep recording....

Criteria:

Closed
    Stereo (DUH!)
    under 150$ US
    flattest possible frequency response.
    Cordless is a no no

I´m already looking at 2 AKG models, and one each from BeyerDynamic and Sennheiser, but I´d like to get some other opinions first.

These will be used primarily for monitoring and tracking.

Got Ideas? Then take a toss
    Last edited by Zerberus; 11-30-2006, 10:09 AM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Re: Recommend good Studio headphones.

you should look into the sennheiser HD280's. they're sealed well, provide something like 35dB attenuation of outside noise, they're comfy, and they have a pretty flat response.

i think they normally got for about $100, but you can find them for cheaper if you hunt around.
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Comment

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule View Post
      you should look into the sennheiser HD280's. they're sealed well, provide something like 35dB attenuation of outside noise, they're comfy, and they have a pretty flat response.

i think they normally got for about $100, but you can find them for cheaper if you hunt around.
      Dunno if they're great monitoring cans but the 280s rock for tracking.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

Sony MDRs are nice . . .
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Sony MDRs are nice . . .
          You do know that all of Sony's head-mounted listening devices are MDR right? lol

Their V6/7506 is pretty nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by D-EJ915 View Post
            You do know that all of Sony's head-mounted listening devices are MDR right? lol

Their V6/7506 is pretty nice though.
            MDR 7506 . . . those are the ones that one the headphone shootout that I did a couple of years ago. I just couldn't remember the number. . .
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

another +1 to the HD280's

on my purchase list at the moment

Comment

Sorry guys, but the HD280's don't have a flat response. Barely any bass response in the sub 80hz frequency, too. Everything down there sounds more like a pulse than anything.

That said, I do LOVE mine for tracking. Awesome isolation, no harsh frequencies, clear as hell.

That said, headphones really shouldn't be used for mixing, aside from checking small details.
                www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
                  That said, I do LOVE mine for tracking. Awesome isolation, no harsh frequencies, clear as hell.
                  main reason i am getting mine. everybody is raving about their isolation

That said, headphones really shouldn't be used for mixing, aside from checking small details.
                  i got the monitors for mixing =)

Comment

Sorry guys, but the HD280's don't have a flat response. Barely any bass response in the sub 80hz frequency, too. Everything down there sounds more like a pulse than anything.
                    And IYO a better alternative would be.....?

If you´d like to explain to my neighbors (and when I say neighbors, it´s more like "the rest of the Dorm") why it´s loud as **** at 3 AM then please be my guest... I can live without that for the time being.

That said I´ll probably do the final mixes during the day anyway. Again, it´s for tracking and monitoring for the most part
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 11-30-2006, 04:03 PM.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

The DT-250 might be an alternative: http://www.headphone.com/products/he...-dt-250-80.php

Like I said before, the V6 is good and also $100 like the HD280s are.

I think V_K is kind of biased in his "these don't have much bass" because he uses the PX-100s which have a lot of bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                        And IYO a better alternative would be.....?

If you´d like to explain to my neighbors (and when I say neighbors, it´s more like "the rest of the Dorm") why it´s loud as **** at 3 AM then please be my guest... I can live without that for the time being.

That said I´ll probably do the final mixes during the day anyway. Again, it´s for tracking and monitoring for the most part
                        TBH, I never tried to find headphones with the flattest response, so I couldn't recommend, first hand at least, a flatter pair. These worked for what I needed them to do and were cheap, so I snagged 'em. I have, however, heard wonderful things about the Beyerdynamic DT100's.

I fully understand the need to mix with headphones sometimes, but as you understand, it's best to do final mixes on a set of monitors.

KS - No headphones will ever be perfectly flat, of course, and there are a lot worse than the HD-280's, but I hear that bass roll-off and midhump full well - enough for me that I can't use them alone to find a final tone.
                        www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

+1 for the HD-280s on tracking.

Audiophiles should look elsewhere.
                          Perfect Tone? ...

Comment

Somehow I knew Jeff would chime in.

I like my HD 280s. But my ears aren't as discriminating.

I'm beginning to think that's not a bad thing...
                            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

*Bumpa Lumpa Bumpa dee doo*

Comment

Working...
                              X