Recommend good Studio headphones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend good Studio headphones.

Not to hijack but if these are examples of good headphones for music studio purposes, would they qualify as the things to go for to use on my amp, for late night playing?

Comment

The HD-280 Pros aren't the greatest headphones I've ever tried, but I can't think of anything better that has the same level of isolation. Besides, we're talking about headphones here: the things most audio snobs have against the HD-280's could be said of headphones in general (bad lows, too much mids, etc).
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I haven't really tried that many headphones, but I like my AKG 240DF ones.
        There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

I own a pair of Sennheiser HD580s. They are the best phones I've ever listened to and I guess they have a pretty flat frequency response. They retail at ~$250 but you can easily get them off of amazon for ~$130.

If you plan on looking into headphones (instead of just buying), I would definitely encourage you to look into these. They are also very comfortable, if that matters to you.

*EDIT

Here's one review that supports my claim of a flat frequency response.

Last edited by firebirdV; 12-11-2006, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdV View Post
            I own a pair of Sennheiser HD580s. They are the best phones I've ever listened to and I guess they have a pretty flat frequency response. They retail at ~$250 but you can easily get them off of amazon for ~$130.

If you plan on looking into headphones (instead of just buying), I would definitely encourage you to look into these. They are also very comfortable, if that matters to you.

*EDIT

Here's one review that supports my claim of a flat frequency response.

http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/1294senn/
            Another thing that may be important is that these headphones need a lot of power. I am currently using a headphone amp which provides plenty of drive, but if you are considering these, you may want to look into that aspect as well.

Comment

You won't go wrong with any of those you listed. One of my favorite "hi-fi" sets was an older pair of Beyer's, (which got lost in my last move), so I switched to my AKG 240's. They finally fell apart, (after 20 years of faithful service), and I just ordered new ones last night.

btw - The old 240's still work great, its just the elastic headband bit the bullet. I'll probably repair them.

I also ordered a pair of Sennheisers for iPod duty. They're all good.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-16-2006, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MesaDCLP View Post
                +1 for the HD-280s on tracking.

Audiophiles should look elsewhere.
                +2 on HD-280s not being used for mixing. Their upper-mid frequency response is weird, and will lead to weird EQ in the final mix. Their just fine for tracking, and I like their isolation.
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
                X