Is 30 Watts Enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 30 Watts Enough?

I went to Guitar center this week-end and picked out a new amp. I didn't order it or put it on lay-away..I just picked it out... Now - My current amplifier is only 15 Watts...and it seems as if it would be useless to get new pick-ups (Duncans) with a low-quality 15 Watt Amp...So I was wondering if a Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt Combo Amplifier would do the trick. Thank you.
    Last edited by 1,000 Watts; 01-22-2007, 05:51 AM.

Re: Is 30 Watts Enough?

It's not a matter of watts... it's a matter of tone. If I were you, I'd do a little more looking. There are a number of great-sounding 30-watt amps out there, but I wouldn't count the Spyder among them.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

tricky question. depends on so many variables

-what kind of music do you play?
      -how loud does your band play - which is hard for you to tell us now?
      -are you the only guitarist in your band?
      -what gigs do you plam to do with it? practice? club? hall? open air?

without really nowing the amp, i'd say that a medium/high
      volume rock gig in a small club shouldn't be an issue with an celestion 12"
      loaded combo. but it also depends on the efficiency of the line 6's circuits.
      i know, that i couldn't play a band practice with a vox ad-30 which is a
      10" 30watt ss modeling combo. so i'm unsure to tell you, because the amp
      you mention is also 30W ss. if it would be an all tube combo i'd say go for it.
      there can be a big difference in 30 tube watts and 30 ss-watts.
      ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

If you're worried about volume, remember that speaker efficiency has AT LEAST as much to do with your volume as the wattage. . . a 15 watt amp with an 8 inch speaker is a practice amp, while a 30 watt amp with 2 efficient 12 inch speakers will be giggable.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The Line 6 is a solid state amp, so 30 watts does'nt go very far. On the other hand 30 tube powered watts could be plenty for many applications. I say no to that particular amp. Line 6 makes bigger amps, if your interested in doing live shows with it.

Comment

From your user name I'm guessing it might not be

As others have said it really depends on what you want to use it for - what style of music, home practice vs. rehearsals vs. gigs, whether you will be miked up etc.

Comment

I'd definitely go the tube route unless money is an issue. I had a 100 watt line 6 a few years ago and my 30 watt Mesa F30 is as loud on 3 as that was on 7! If money is a question, go with the Vox modelers over line 6.
              Gibson Faded V- Blackouts set
              Godin Solidac- PATB-2/Distortion n, Hot Stack in the middle
              Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus

Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass
              Warwick Rockbass Fortress 5

Mesa Roadster head
              Warwick BC 80

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
                whether you will be miked up
                This is a great point to consider. With today's PA systems, you can mic a small amp and have it hit the audience loud 'n' clear. In that situation, fifteen watts is plenty of power.

- Keith
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Enough for what? No, it's never enough!

Want a nice 50 watt amp? Peavey Delta Blues.

Want a nice 100 watt amp? Fender Twin Reverb.

Etc etc ad nauseum.
                  My Website || My Music
                  Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
                  ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
                  Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Originally posted by 1,000 Watts View Post
                    I went to Guitar center this week-end and picked out a new amp. I didn't order it or put it on lay-away..I just picked it out... Now - My current amplifier is only 15 Watts...and it seems as if it would be useless to get new pick-ups (Duncans) with a low-quality 15 Watt Amp...So I was wondering if a Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt Combo Amplifier would do the trick. Thank you.

THe main question : Enough for WHAT??

1 watt is enough for Bedroom Volume, and 2x150 watts pushing 4 4x12s can still not be enough at some open air gigs.

Please narrow your intended use for this amplifier down to something between those extremes. Dito for musical style, a Clean blues amp and a Death Metal amp rarely have much in Common
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 01-22-2007, 09:22 AM.
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I am guessing that you are selecting a Spider because of funding issues. I have a Spider amp (Spider II 112 65 watts) and from my experience, I think you can do better.

I bought the amp because of the Line 6 name, and while Line 6 makes great products, the Spider line is at the bottom. I think a 30 watt Spider may actually sound louder than other solid state 30 watt amps - not sure why, but that's the experience I have.

But -- since you mentioned you will be getting new pickups -- my biggest complaint is getting consistent response form the Spider with different pickups and pickup combinations.

I changed all three of the pickups on my strat clone and it worked great through all my amps except the Spider. Depending on which position the 5 way switch was in, the sound levels were unpredictable. Very frustrating.

Again - I think you can do better.
                      Rick
                      (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
                      Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

save urself the trouble and dont bother about Line 6 Spiders pls...they are horrible IMO. very digital sounding. even with duncans it'd sound the same as if u are using stocks.
                        1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
                        1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
                        Jackson KVX10: X2N
                        1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
                        Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
                        http://fusionken.blogspot.com
                        http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

Okay..This wqill hopefully help -

I'm looking for a good amplifier - meaning tone, and volume.

I play mostly in my room, sometimes I practice with my step-dad.

I am NOT in a band.

I like to play very loud when i am alone

I need an amplifier that will really help emphasize the sound from the pick-ups you know?

And i have a budget of about $250...

Comment

Originally posted by 1,000 Watts View Post
                            Okay..This wqill hopefully help -
                            I'm looking for a good amplifier - meaning tone, and volume.
                            I play mostly in my room, sometimes I practice with my step-dad.
                            I am NOT in a band.
                            I like to play very loud when i am alone
                            I need an amplifier that will really help emphasize the sound from the pick-ups you know?
                            And i have a budget of about $250...
                            How loud do you like to play when you're alone?

For just in a room, a Fender Blues Junior or any other small tube amp, or even solid state amp, would work. However, very loud is a subjective thing. I've played the Blues Junior and it can get pretty loud, but it's not big. There are some smallish Marshall tube amps with onboard effects which actually aren't bad, and I've played a couple (they have the gold faceplate). As for bigger, I've played a 50W Peavey Delta Blues, it's got plenty of punch if you want loud. Then there's the Twin Reverb by Fender, which I own a 1972 model. It's VERY loud at 100W.

So it's really how loud do you want for what you do? Do you have effects pedals? Honestly, for bedroom, a Blues Junior, or any 15W or less tube amp will do fine (even a 1W mini-tube-amp).
                            My Website || My Music
                            Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
                            ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
                            Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

i think $250 can get u a used Peavey Classic 30.
                              maybe even a vox ad30?
                              the Peavey is tube, the Vox ad is solid state.

personally i'd get the peavey classic 30
                              i dont have experience with many amps and thats one of the good small tube amps i've tried
                              1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
                              1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
                              Jackson KVX10: X2N
                              1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
                              Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
                              http://fusionken.blogspot.com
                              http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X