Is 30 Watts Enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is 30 Watts Enough?

Don't get caught up on the wattage rating. A fifteen watt tube amp or up will do you just fine. I have a friend that bought a Spider II 75Watt, mainly because of the wattage rating, and he won't even plug into it because it sounds so harsh to him.

Personally, I'd look into a Pro Junior, Blues Junior, Peavey Classic 20, or Peavey Classic 30. Any of those would do you fine, especially the Peavey Classic series for rock.

The Peavey Classic 30 can be had for around 300 dollars, and it's a steal at that. I've seen them go for less, too.

Anyway, whatever you decide to get, good luck with it.

Comment

Also, the new Crate V16 and V32 Palomino amps are fantastic if you can find one of them used.

Just snipe Craigslist!

Comment

Okay..Thanks everybody..But I am on a $250 budget..

Comment

blues jr, epi valve jr ... they do the job well, from what i hear.

if you are a bedroom player, they will do you good.

Comment

i'd go for a pro junior. a fantastic little amp, which will be enough for
            at home or playing miced. if you want gain, get some nice pedal.
            you will anyway go for pedals one day ;-)

the pro jr also nice to connect to a 212.
            in case you anyway want to have a little more from the start, go
            for a blues junior. it has reverb and a 12" speaker - you have all
            possibilities in speaker upgrades then.

next step would be a peavey classic 20 or 30. nice american crunch
            tone imo. but you're away from the awesome fender cleans ..
            Last edited by Baltar; 01-22-2007, 04:48 PM.
            ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

They're out there... where do you live at? And do you have a problem with going used?

Also, if you're not going to be playing out, a Vox Valvetronix AD15 or AD30 would be an excellent choice. They are modelers like the line six, but sound GREAT!
              Last edited by Omni9X; 01-22-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

*scratch that*

Get a roland cube 30 and a good distortion box to run into the clean channel. Going tube isn't worth if it you're going to scrape the bottom of the barrel.
                Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

What do you mean "Scrape the bottom of the barrell" ??

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                    you know what...

power tube gain is so freakin overrated it's giving me a headache.
                    And super squashed SS gain just gives me a headache!

I guess it depends on your idea of "good tone." If you're convinced a Metal Zone into a Peavey Bandit is "good tone" that's cool. However, don't expect to find a pedal (anytime in the near future) that mimics the sound and feel of an amp breaking like it's being cranked. There's a tradeoff for everything that you do- If you rely on pedals you end up with squashy compressed tone that has no dynamic to it, if you rely on a master volume or attenuator you lose some of the "breathing" of the amp, if you crank the amp- it's generally too loud.

I'm happy with the MV on my amps, but it's nothing like when those things have the master around 6 and the preamp around 2.
                    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                    Originally posted by Slash2987
                    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                    Originally posted by PVFan
                    I'm a good sex man.
                    Originally posted by Grumpy
                    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

If it's a tube amp and you don't need a lot of headroom for squeaky clean tone at higher volumes, 30 watts with a 12" speaker (preferably 2) should be plenty. If you need clean tones at high volume, go with bigger Fender amps, like the Twin or even the 2x12 version of the Hotrod.
                      Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by 1,000 Watts View Post
                        What do you mean "Scrape the bottom of the barrell" ??
                        I don't see the point in getting the cheapest possible tube amp.

That's what I mean by scraping the bottom of the barrell.
                        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Oh. I see. Well maybe I'll save some money..use my dads $250 and then add mine in or something...

Comment

That's the thing about tube amps: They're expensive. Solid state amps were created as a heartier, more cost-effective alternative, but players quickly realized the solid state amp's tonal limitations. So players are back to valves because of the tone only a valve can achieve. Unfortunately, those things -- and all the things that hook into 'em -- are pricey; great tone at a cost.

You could take a page from Gearjoneser's book and start with something that'll do for now, and continually trade up till you're playing through a Bogner Ecstasy, Marshall Plexi, vintage Fender Twin, or whatever premium tube amp floats your boat. (And BTW, all those examples are high-wattage amps, but if you pack stadiums, you'll need 'em. )

- Keith
                            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree, Mephis.

A Peavey Classic, Crate V series, or Fender Blues Junior or Pro Junior are in no way "scraping the bottom of the barrel."

They're all very respectable amps that sound fantastic.

Comment

I'm with Rick. I LIKE Line6, but the Spider series leaves alot to be desired.
                                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                                https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                                X