Is 30 Watts Enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is 30 Watts Enough?

You can get by with the right 30w tube amp in most reasonable band applications, but don't expect clean headroom. Your cleans will suffer in the process, plain and simple. In my last band, I used a Crate V32 Palomino for a little bit and it cut pretty well, although the cleans were slightly overdriving at full gigging volume.

People that say you can get by with 15w amps either know of really good venues that mic everything and have good sound engineers or are delusional. Good luck getting a 15w amp to cut through a loud drummer; with a loud drummer, you'll be wanting atleast 30w tube.

Playing live, I really appreciate the 80w I have on tap with my amplifier. I never fully open it up (I don't need it to sound killer and really, most tube amps sound the best in my opinion about half opened up), but I really like having that kind of power to use if I need it and I have run into instances where I have needed it. People may say it's overkill, but when they complain about their cleans not staying articulate and sweet at fully opened volumes, I tell them "told you so".
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I certainly would think the Peavey Classic 20 (starting at $150) and the Delta Blues at $200 are good options.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
        And super squashed SS gain just gives me a headache!

I guess it depends on your idea of "good tone." If you're convinced a Metal Zone into a Peavey Bandit is "good tone" that's cool. However, don't expect to find a pedal (anytime in the near future) that mimics the sound and feel of an amp breaking like it's being cranked. There's a tradeoff for everything that you do- If you rely on pedals you end up with squashy compressed tone that has no dynamic to it, if you rely on a master volume or attenuator you lose some of the "breathing" of the amp, if you crank the amp- it's generally too loud.

I'm happy with the MV on my amps, but it's nothing like when those things have the master around 6 and the preamp around 2.
        try playing metal with the preamp gain on 2.
        sorry, but we come from two entirely diferent schools of thought (and playing)
        loud or not, for metal you NEED a pedal in front to boost the amp, unless of course you got a gain monster already.
        but even on those the norm is to keep the preamp low, stick an overdrive in front and let er rip (no, i refuse to use distortion pedals.. as they generaly suck balls. overdrives set for clean boost however )

besides, if you also use one like that for a home setting practice, you cant have it cooking all the time (and no i dont have enough money.. nor willing to spend any ammount on somehting i can only use at home)
        i'm very happy with the rig i got right now.

btw, what's this clean headroom thing you guys speak of????
        Last edited by Davey; 01-23-2007, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
          try playing metal with the preamp gain on 2.
          sorry, but we come from two entirely diferent schools of thought (and playing)
          loud or not, for metal you NEED a pedal in front to boost the amp, unless of course you got a gain monster already.
          but even on those the norm is to keep the preamp low, stick an overdrive in front and let er rip (no, i refuse to use distortion pedals.. as they generaly suck balls. overdrives set for clean boost however )

besides, if you also use one like that for a home setting practice, you cant have it cooking all the time (and no i dont have enough money.. nor willing to spend any ammount on somehting i can only use at home)
          i'm very happy with the rig i got right now.

btw, what's this clean headroom thing you guys speak of????
          When you stated your initial argument, you didn't say you were talking about metal. This changes things around a bit, methinks.
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Davey,

I realize we're probably worlds apart in terms of "what's a good sound." The way I figure it- ultra gain ends up being "smooshy" and not necessarily tough sounding. So much of what you hear isn't necessarily what's there. I grew up thinking Zeppelin was the most massive sounding stuff. I think of Whole Lotta Love- man, that's just vicious. Go back and listen and it's so unbelievably clean. Wow. Listen to any 80s Judas Priest- that's about my Park with the gain at 3 and the amp at 7. It's not super distorted- it's context is where your mind fills it in.

I do realize there's also the difference in "hard rock" and "metal" in the context of "kids these days."
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

If you're playing in your bedroom, and don't plan on gigging, 5 watts of pure delicious tubeness would be *more* than enough. Go for the Epi option.

I have two little early 70's silverface Champs and they are much louder than you would guess just looking at them. I wouldn't recommend them for your purposes, probably not enough gain.
              Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Davey,

I realize we're probably worlds apart in terms of "what's a good sound." The way I figure it- ultra gain ends up being "smooshy" and not necessarily tough sounding. So much of what you hear isn't necessarily what's there. I grew up thinking Zeppelin was the most massive sounding stuff. I think of Whole Lotta Love- man, that's just vicious. Go back and listen and it's so unbelievably clean. Wow. Listen to any 80s Judas Priest- that's about my Park with the gain at 3 and the amp at 7. It's not super distorted- it's context is where your mind fills it in.

I do realize there's also the difference in "hard rock" and "metal" in the context of "kids these days."
                my sound is a tougher, more in your face, kick you in the balls and laugh at you Iron Maiden - Killers sound ... so it's not superhigh gain, that you hear in some of todays recordings.
                though i still do not grasp the concept of clean

i bought this amp with the intention of giging.. if i wasnt looking at that, i'd get a VC or LC15 and be perfectly happy.
                though you cant do metal with anything less than 30 and be serious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                  When you stated your initial argument, you didn't say you were talking about metal. This changes things around a bit, methinks.
                  every time i open my mouth it's about metal.... i think it's time people realise that

i didnt get my forum gloss for nothing :6:

Comment

every time i open my mouth it's about metal.... i think it's time people realise that

i didnt get my forum gloss for nothing :6:
                    Right on.

Totally unrelated question: Is "Goliath of Tone" (and all the others) known as a forum gloss? I wasn't sure what that was called.
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

So if you say the word "Britney," does that mean Britney Spears is, indeed, "metal?"
                      *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                      Originally posted by Slash2987
                      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                      Originally posted by PVFan
                      I'm a good sex man.
                      Originally posted by Grumpy
                      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

So if you say the word "Britney," does that mean Britney Spears is, indeed, "metal?"

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris View Post
                          You can get by with the right 30w tube amp in most reasonable band applications, but don't expect clean headroom. Your cleans will suffer in the process, plain and simple. In my last band, I used a Crate V32 Palomino for a little bit and it cut pretty well, although the cleans were slightly overdriving at full gigging volume.

People that say you can get by with 15w amps either know of really good venues that mic everything and have good sound engineers or are delusional. Good luck getting a 15w amp to cut through a loud drummer; with a loud drummer, you'll be wanting atleast 30w tube.
                          Depends on the amp. My DC30 had a plenty of clean headroom and gets VERY loud. It gets so loud in fact that I've flipped the switch and taken the wattage down to a 15 watt which is also plenty loud for most gigs. Another 30 watt amp I had the pleasure of gigging was a Bruno Undergroung 30. It also had plenty of clean headroom and was very loud.

Eric
                          Last edited by shaka; 01-23-2007, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Nice! haha..Yeah..i usually play in my room..I like a real heavy sound from guitars..but would also like variety... From Zakk Wylde to Lamb Of God to Pantera....I like loudness...And i can almost gauruntee I'll start a band once I get maybe another year under my belt 9And i'd like for the amp. to be ruggid enough to last that long.)

Comment

Crate VSeries 1215 1x12 15 watts EL84 power. I have had one for 4 years no problem only downer is no line out. They can be had new for $350 or used on the bay $200. Accutronics spring reverb, 2 EL84 power tubes 3 12xA7 preamp tubes. Made in the USA. I bought the GC Demo for 300 out the door. I only play at home and it is perfect at low volume but is a very loud 15watts if need be.

Comment

Thank you for the input.

Comment

Working...
                                X