Is 30 Watts Enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is 30 Watts Enough?

I just picked up a epiphone valve junior head for $99 which is only five watts. I'm running it through a THD 2x12 loaded with one vintage and one longhorn celestion.

I got this for home use and it's hard to put into words how nice this $99 tube amp sounds granted it is a pretty expensive cab.

I think with the $150 you would have left over you could find a good 1x12 cab to compliment it and yes it can get pretty loud.
    '05 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '11 Taylor 414CE
    Orange Rockerverb 50

Comment

Hmm..maybe..That sounds kinda cool.... 1x12...hmm....

Comment

But then i have to buy cords and crap.... haha

Comment

15Watt valve amp is gigable, but i take it you have a S/S 15watter, and the Line6 that you are looking at is also S/S, so i would have to go with NO !

Now, if you can get a used Peavey Classic 30 for the same price as the Line6, you will find yourself in all-valve tonal heaven, and YES, 30Watt valve driven amps is plenty loud for gigs !

Wxcept maybe for a lack of funds, why do you wanna get a Line 6 ???
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

THIS is what you want !

If i was in the US, i would have snaped it up right NOW !

A Peavey Classic 20 ( abeaurifull rare find these days, compare to the C30) is a beautifull sounding all-valve amp, that will blow you away in your room, as my Blues Jr. (15watter) is wayyyy too loud for home useage !
            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

50W is usually enough for 80% of the people.

any style.
              the rest have enough funds to get more if they need.. if you have to ask, you're in the 80%

but like others said.. what music, what gigs are you looking for, and what do you expect from an amp.

i think a blues junior, laney VC15, LC15 or epi valve junior would be good for you.

Comment

Then you get a sweet 5watt Peavey Nano Valve combo - http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-NanoValve...QQcmdZViewItem

. . . and it starts at only $50.00 !

WOW !!!

And here is my fav. Peavey, the Delta Blues (30watt, 1x15)

For only $200.00 !!!
                Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 01-22-2007, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                  50W is usually enough for 80% of the people.
                  I'd wager that 50W may be too much for 80% of the people. Fifty watts fills a pretty damned big club.
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I've got an old 1x12 combo at around 19w or so- it's too loud for most applications, but not loud enough for others.
                    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                    Originally posted by Slash2987
                    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                    Originally posted by PVFan
                    I'm a good sex man.
                    Originally posted by Grumpy
                    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                      I'd wager that 50W may be too much for 80% of the people. Fifty watts fills a pretty damned big club.
                      who says you got to run it full on? why do you think pedals exist?

Comment

I say everyone has to run every amp full-on all the time. I think pedals exist so that guitarists know where to step when they're dancing to their own music.

Am I getting warm?
                        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I think it's a silly idea to use a pedal as your primary source of gain. For everybody to insist on tube amps and then run (effectively) a SS preamp in front of it.

My theory is most of your tone comes from your amp- pedals are there for "color." Otherwise you're looking for an amp that's not the best sounding amp for you, just a neutral sounding amp that will take the pedal.

... For anyone that thinks the much sought after "plexi" tone was achieved through a "plexi" at 2 and a dirtbox in front of it...

It's your tone, how you achieve it is how you achieve it, but the "tone" of a valve amp is when it's opened up.
                          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                          Originally posted by Slash2987
                          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                          Originally posted by PVFan
                          I'm a good sex man.
                          Originally posted by Grumpy
                          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Haha. nice. Yeah.. I saw a nice Line 6 Head for 100 bucks.. and I think it was about 75 watts..haha.. than maybe spen the remainning $150 on a speaker...

Comment

Actually..that was a Spider..and Earlier it was said they aren't too great.. how 'bout a Behringer V-ampire head?

Comment

you know what...

power tube gain is so freakin overrated it's giving me a headache.

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                                I say everyone has to run every amp full-on all the time. I think pedals exist so that guitarists know where to step when they're dancing to their own music.

Am I getting warm?
                                if you want to be deaf in about half an hour... yea, you are
                                the volume knob is there for a reason.. and it's not "so it's on 10 all the time"

btw
                                stay away from behringer!

Comment

Working...
                                X