Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Matt, your approach is exactly how I plan on practicing this stuff. Once I have an alternate-picking exercise working on a clean tone, I'll see how it sounds through high gain. I'll probably do the reverse with HO/PO exercises, seeing if they sound consistent with a clean tone.

Dave, I like your idea of ending a practice session with a jam to music. It's like a well-deserved recess after 60+ minutes of redundant finger-and-pick workouts.

I can't wait to get these books, guys!

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I'm in!

Please god can we skip the exercises where you have to sing?
      Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

There's an exercise that requires singing??!!
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Right at the back. There's about 4 or 5 that make you play a scale one note at a time, and you have to sing that note, and sing all the intervals and stuff.

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Robbiedbee View Post
            I'm in!

No, and you must POST clips of your singing!
            Originally posted by Scott_F
            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by Robbiedbee View Post
              I'm in!

what matt said!!!

also, what i like about all this... the exercises are very well written, explained in detail and already useable.. not like others that just focus solely on technique and then leave you to figure out licks on your own.. those can be WAY boring.. these are already in lick/riff form, which keeps it interesting, as well as both developing tecnhique and expanding your lick vocabulary at the same time.
              Last edited by Davey; 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM.

Comment

The singing/playing exercise sounds like a good idea. After all, you need to sing a note or passage in your head before you can make it happen on the guitar.
                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                  what matt said!!!

also, what i like about all this... the exercises are very well written, explained in detail and already useable.. not like others that just focus solely on technique and then leave you to figure out licks on your own.. those can be WAY boring.. these are already in lick/riff form, which keeps it interesting, as well as both developing tecnhique and expanding your lick vocabulary at the same time.
                  I could be wrong, but you seem like a far more accomplished 'speed' guitar player than me. This means that you'll get to that part of the book before me. Meaning, I get to listen to everyone else sing before I swallow my pride and have a go.

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

LOL

excuses excuses..

i neglected guitar too much in the past few months and it shows.. the left hand stamina is down the drain, as i cant h/o p/o for long periods of time at high speed, so it'll take me a while, because i want it to take a qhile.. i'm not rushing anything, so it can and probably will take me a very long time to get through the book.
                    if i start on metal lead guitar this time next year, it's gonna be a MAJOR acomplishment

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                      LOL

excuses excuses..

i neglected guitar too much in the past few months and it shows.. the left hand stamina is down the drain, as i cant h/o p/o for long periods of time at high speed, so it'll take me a while, because i want it to take a qhile.. i'm not rushing anything, so it can and probably will take me a very long time to get through the book.
                      if i start on metal lead guitar this time next year, it's gonna be a MAJOR acomplishment
                      Good point. The goal is to speed up your playing, not your ability to get through a book.

Being thorough and consistent is the key...and for you young'uns, getting hot chicks.
                      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

See Davey, I'm totally the other way around. My right hand stamina is way down. I can play all day with my left, it's the right that hurts. Those right hand stamina exercises in the book really stretch me. So far I have flicked through it and had a blast at the odd few, now I am starting from the beginning now a few more of us have the book.

(This is just assuming you're right handed like me)

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

yea i am.

i've spent a lot of time with the gilbert videos, trying to pick right. i've never had a problem with my right hand :P
                          the left hand accuracy leaves a lot to be desired though

Comment

Well, does this happen to you sometimes?

I played last night - Set 1 - and I couldn't play for s**t. Like my hands would not move. The day before I drove for 8 hours looking at a job site, my hands were cold all day yesterday, and so I think that my hands were just plain tired out.

Hope tonights session (Set 2) goes a little better.
                            Originally posted by Scott_F
                            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

yea it does... sometimes the fingers just dont want to move...

i wish i wasnt swamped with work right now =/

Comment

YAY!!! My books came in today. I can start whenever.

- Keith
                                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                                X