Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

i'm starting as soon as i have free time for guitar. which should be some time next week.
    the sooner the better... i'm up to my ears in these spreadsheets and i am seriously considering canceling it all after this last batch, cos it takes up all my time.

anyway... you guys can start, no need to wait for me, as i'll do it at my own pace anyway :P

Comment

Aw dude, you know afternoons just work better for me than nights. I'm old, I admit it. I played through "Set 1" this afternoon. Jackson, Splawn, no effects, just all the gears. I was playing well today. I think I'm just more fresh in the morning.

Discovery of the day: You know when you read these guys saying you need to slow down, break apart the pieces, work on them one phrase at a time slowly, and then put it all together? Well, go figure, they're not lying!

Exercises 9 through 13 are getting much cleaner today - but that damned trill exercise is still killing me. Sounds muddy.
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

i want to get started ******!!

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post

i want to get started ******!!
          Dude, I'm just trying to get caught up to you!!!
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt View Post
            Dude, I'm just trying to get caught up to you!!!
            in what category? you can try all you want, but you'll never look as good as me

Comment

The chix dig the flowing golden locks, eh?

Well, the chix on this side of the pond dig the short, balding, and "husky" dark-haired types. So, you'd be outta luck here.

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt View Post
                The chix dig the flowing golden locks, eh?

Well, the chix on this side of the pond dig the short, balding, and "husky" dark-haired types. So, you'd be outta luck here.
                in your dreams
                and yea.. i havent met a single girl that didnt complemet the hair and/or want to braid it.. only one had the honor of doing that so far hehe

anyway. back to the lessons.. i managed to squeeze in a quick half hour of matts Set1 and found one of my main weaknesses. the connection between my ring and pinky is sluggish and "lazy", so i need to improve on that and get comfortable in using it, before i move on
                (just a bit of useless info.. lesson #12 is also found in paul gilberts intense rock I.. only diference between stetinas and his is, that gilbert pics every string skip .. in #12, you hammer on from E to G, gilbert picks it... i find the picking easier, but keep practicing the hammer on, cos like said, i need to build the strenght again and unplugged the pinky hammer ons cant be heard very well)

Question:
                does anybody else have the problem of lifting their pinky too high off the fretboard? i got no probs with the other fingers, they usualy stay within 1/2 " off the fretboard, but my pinky just flies off for miles =/ i cant keep it it line
                Last edited by Davey; 01-27-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Question:
                  does anybody else have the problem of lifting their pinky too high off the fretboard? i got no probs with the other fingers, they usualy stay within 1/2 " off the fretboard, but my pinky just flies off for miles =/ i cant keep it it line
                  Yes! I was going to ask the same question. Whenever I put down my third finger, the pinky is off like a helium balloon. Just noticed it today. I really hope I can get control of that little guy.

- Keith
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

in found one of my main weaknesses. the connection between my ring and pinky is sluggish and "lazy"
                    +1 here. I have the very exact same problem. It makes doing pulloffs between the two difficult for me. I am working on it. However, I've always known this was a prob for me, but just now getting after it.

Question:
                    +1 again. I used to fret about it . But, I saw someone - Petrucci, Yngwie or someone like that doing it so I quit worrying about it. That, and well I just could never get it to behave - just one of those battles I decided to give up on and just make do as best as I can. If anyone has any suggestions, short of cutting it off, I'm all ears.

Comment

LOL

i think cutting it off, would be a bit of a hindrance hehe.

oh wait.. i'm supposed to be working =/

Comment

I have a little trouble with my pinky. I can ascend a scale fine...

1 2 3 4 (next string - A) 1 2 3 4 (next string - D) etc

But going down is my problem.

4 3 2 1 (next string - B) 4 3 2 1 (next string - G) etc

It doesn't move entirely independent of my ring finger. It's a pain. I believe I am getting there though.

I started playing stuff like the Hallowed be thy Name riff with my index, middle and pinky fingers to get it toughened up.
                        Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

the little one is always causing trouble lol

Comment

Originally posted by Robbiedbee View Post
                            But going down is my problem.

4 3 2 1 (next string - B) 4 3 2 1 (next string - G) etc
                            I have no problem going down :. But, that 4 3 2 1 is difficult for me also. I have to go very SLOW to get everthing to sound right.

Comment

i have a slight problem on exercise #26, when i descend, my fingers start to get tangled up at higher speeds lol.
                              only on the descending part though. i need more control for that kind of stuff. loving the book so far though. but need WAY more time with it

Comment

This is a long-haul group project. Keep that in mind. I'm not expecting to be getting through this in a few weeks or a few months.

We're pushing and encouraging each other. That's how I see this. No competition, just self-improvement with peers to help us keep going and keep the spirit up.

- Keith
                                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                                X