Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Just a head's up, there are some great exercises along these lines from Lee Ritenour in the last issue of Guitar Player (the one with Tommy Bolin on the cover).

Comment

Well, sometimes when you remodel you need to redo the foundation.

I started doing that with Exercises #6 and #7. I was doing that set last night and realized that those seemingly easy exercises were sounding like crap. So, I decided to focus on those only. I played them for about 1-1/2 hours total. Monotonous yes, results... definitely. When I slowed them way down I discovered that my timing was poor and so was my technique. I went down to about 80 bpm, but by the end of the session I was up to about 110 or so and they were sounding good. My techniques:

1. Break each phrase down separately. Repetition repetition
      2. Do each transition separately backwards and forwards.
      3. Use the metronome.
      4. Don't go too fast.
      5. Tap your foot.
      6. Increase speed in 5 to 10 bpm increments.

I normally scoff at the tap your foot idea since it starts hurting my shins after awhile, and how am I gonna do a stage dive off the amp when I'm tapping my foot? But, I do believe it really helps to get the timing down.
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

back briefly..

finished work, threw myself head first into the book...

i made my own little exercise that combines #14 and #9 with a bit of a vibrato at the end
        no picking at all, put your hand into your pocket or sit on it. no muting of other strings apart of with your left hand. once you get to play it clean without hitting any other strings or letting them ring too much, you'll know why.
        Code:
        e|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        G|-h8-h12-p8-p0-h7-h10-p7-p0-h5-h8-p5-p0-h4-h7-p4-p0-h4-h5-h7-p5-p4--------------------------
        D|------------------------------------------------------------------h7-p5-p4-h5-h7-p5-p4-h5~-
        A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        when played at moderate to higher speeds it makes for a KILLER!! classical sounding lick

i must say i see some minor improvement in stamina already. found some of my rough spots and weaknesses and am ironing them out. i'll spend a couple of months on the first portion of the book, then move on to the bumblebee section

keep practicing. i'll look in here and check up on you newbs once in a while

P.S.
        once you get homey with exercises 2-5, mix them up. ascend with pattern 2, descend with 3, then do the same with 4 and 5. make a couple of runs and switch them (ascend with 3 and descend with 2)
        gives the brain something more to do
        Last edited by Davey; 02-04-2007, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Where can I find or order this? This maybe what I need to start practicing again. I've been swapping gear and just noodling for years now.

Comment

Get it at Amazon.com and get on board!
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
              back briefly..

finished work, threw myself head first into the book...

i made my own little exercise that combines #14 and #9 with a bit of a vibrato at the end
              Davey, that's a great idea. I try it occasionally with the exercises also - take the underlying theme and mix it up a little.... and I think that Troy would say that's the whole idea.

Originally posted by kjrocks View Post
              Where can I find or order this? This maybe what I need to start practicing again. I've been swapping gear and just noodling for years now.
              Hey KJ, welcome to the thread. Of course, I'm not the one to talk with my latest round of Amp GAS .

However, I do believe we tend to substitute practice with buying stuff. But then again, it's important to find a sound you like to inspire the practice. I think I'm finally at a point where I'm done noodling around with tones, tweaking, gear, etc - and time to get down to business.

Not to say I'm done buying stuff - I'm not high.

However, I'm done buying guitars. Unless something comes by that totally blows my socks off I won't buy another axe. I have the Jacksons, I have the LP. I'm not a strat guy, and I'm not a jazz box guy, and I'm not a tele guy - so I'm done except for maybe an acoustic someday if it comes cheap.

There's a few smaller items on the list to go, and I'll always wonder, "hmm, what makes this amp sound different than that amp" etc etc. I am probably done buying amps. I don't ever see myself getting rid of the Splawn. But having the Splawn just makes you wonder what is so special about other amps, so I am naturally curious as to what an Engl might sound like, VHT, Dual Rec, Marshall, etc. But, I don't feel the NEED to buy any of these.

So, it's nice to finally be in a place where I don't spend my time scouring the interweb looking for gear - I can just play now.
              On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                Get it at Amazon.com and get on board!
                Is that the exact title? I'm searching for it at Amazon now and getting books on cars

Comment

Is that the exact title? I'm searching for it at Amazon now and getting books on cars
                  "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" by Troy Stetina.

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt View Post
                    "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" by Troy Stetina.
                    You knockers had me searching with an "X", thanks

Comment

You knockers had me searching with an "X", thanks
                      LOL!!! The joke here is that Davey is a Megadeth FANATIK!!! And MechaniX is a Megadeth song (some say "stolen" by Metallica and renamed 4-Horsemen, but only Dave and James and Lars will ever know the truth).

So, that's where all that comes from. Sorry to confuse

Comment

I'm well aware of that song and can certainly see to correlation with Davey. I should a known....

Comment

This should be retitled The Speed MechaniX for MegadorX Practice Thread, just to avoid confusion.
                          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Standing up vs Sitting down:

What are you guys doing? Normally I'm sitting down... cause I'm old... and I'm lazy.

So last night I stood up whilst doing the alternate picking exercises, had to bump back the metronome at least 10 bpm on everything. Felt weird. When I sit, the guitar is nice and secure and moving positions is easy. When I'm standing it seems the axe is moving all over the place.

Any hints?

-Matt

Comment

Probably the best thing to do is to practice standing up. Actually, I should do the same.

- Keith
                              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

practice sitting down. most of the time in the lazy chair too LOL

though i dont have any problems playing standing up.

i got to bump up the learning a notch!

Comment

Working...
                                X